Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFT: Freeman moving up the board?

All Pro

PFT: Freeman moving up the board?

Thoughts? Personally I am fine with Ratty and (like always) I want O or D line to be the first pick. Anyone hear anymore about the kid's workout today?

FREEMAN MOVING UP THE BOARD?
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2009, 11:04 a.m.

In a Friday morning appearance on The Dan Patrick Show, NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock said that Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman has moved into round-one territory after putting in a “tremendous” Pro Day workout on Thursday.

The top two quarterback prospects in the draft are Georgia’s Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez of USC.

But some league insiders wonder whether Stafford and Sanchez are regarded as first-round talent because they genuinely merit such consideration in relation to players at other position, or simply because they’re the best two quarterbacks in a class that isn’t all that impressive.

One scout recently opined that neither Stafford nor Sanchez would be regarded as possible first-round picks in any other year.

Mayock isn’t a fan of Stafford as the potential No. 1 overall pick, to the Lions. Mayock explained that Stafford’s performances in college were too inconsistent, despite being surrounded by elite talent. Mayock compared (and not favorably) Stafford to Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler, both of whom in Mayock’s opinion would try to will otherwise mediocre teams to win.

http://www.profootballtalk.com

All League
    An estimated 15-20 teams attended Kansas State's Pro Day Thursday, mostly to see junior quarterback Josh Freeman. Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Seattle, Oakland, Jacksonville, San Francisco, New York (Jets), Tampa Bay, and Minnesota were among the clubs there. Quarterback coaches for the Lions, Seahawks, Bucs, and Vikings were all present.

An AFC Scout that watched his pro day said that "He certainly can throw the ball. He's a little wild, but you knew that going in on film. He's got tools, though. Someone's gonna take him in the first and may end up with the best one of the bunch in a few years."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin View Post
    An estimated 15-20 teams attended Kansas State's Pro Day Thursday, mostly to see junior quarterback Josh Freeman. Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Seattle, Oakland, Jacksonville, San Francisco, New York (Jets), Tampa Bay, and Minnesota were among the clubs there. Quarterback coaches for the Lions, Seahawks, Bucs, and Vikings were all present.

An AFC Scout that watched his pro day said that "He certainly can throw the ball. He's a little wild, but you knew that going in on film. He's got tools, though. Someone's gonna take him in the first and may end up with the best one of the bunch in a few years."
    I still say DET should go:

1rst overall best OT or Curry
    20th overall Sanchez/Freeman.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

that's exactly the word- I like Mayock but Freeman's workout yesterday could be best described as solid- it certainly was not tremendous....

btw- got a link for the above??? it is strange only 15-20 teams showed up- you'd expect more...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    that's exactly the word- I like Mayock but Freeman's workout yesterday could be best described as solid- it certainly was not tremendous....

btw- got a link for the above??? it is strange only 15-20 teams showed up- you'd expect more...
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...82485/14021676

The blog writer called it solid as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Big arm and wild.....not sure I like that.

Here is a question for the board... how many times in the past have QB's that had a rep for being innacurate coming into the league become quality accurate qb's in the pros? Is accuracy a teachable thing in your opinion?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...82485/14021676

The blog writer called it solid as well.
    thanks...seems Mayock is outnumbered...

Dear Tanny,

Go with Britt in the 1st and then trade back into the late 1st and take Freeman.

Thanks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Here is a question for the board... how many times in the past have QB's that had a rep for being innacurate coming into the league become quality accurate qb's in the pros? Is accuracy a teachable thing in your opinion?
    In the 1979 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected this guy in the third round with the 82nd overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

I think that if you put a college QB in the right system early in his career, it can vastly improve.

Remember, Freeman had nothing at Kansas State. He was the leading runner, and neither of his Top 2 receivers were taller than 5'10. If Freeman comes here, he has a great O-line, good run game, and a few solid receiving options. That way, he can take his time and not have to be the guy right away.

It's a similar situation to Joe Flacco's in Baltimore last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    I think that if you put a college QB in the right system early in his career, it can vastly improve.

Remember, Freeman had nothing at Kansas State. He was the leading runner, and neither of his Top 2 receivers were taller than 5'10. If Freeman comes here, he has a great O-line, good run game, and a few solid receiving options. That way, he can take his time and not have to be the guy right away.

It's a similar situation to Joe Flacco's in Baltimore last year.
    Matt Ryan had nothing at Boston College yet he was pinpoint accurate....Flacco was also very accurate...

accuracy is a very tough thing to coach; in many instances you either have it or don't and Freeman's accuracy is erratic at best...

Banned
    Flacco >>> Freeman and I'm not a Flacco fan at all.

Only QB I really love in this draft is Stafford, though Sanchez is going to be damn good.

Freeman can be someone elses problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Matt Ryan had nothing at Boston College yet he was pinpoint accurate....Flacco was also very accurate...

accuracy is a very tough thing to coach; in many instances you either have it or don't and Freeman's accuracy is erratic at best...
    While it's not pinpoint, saying his accuracy is "erratic at best" is ludicrous. Did you watch any KS games this season? His receivers dropped so many balls, it's not even funny.

Freeman needs to work on his accuracy, but his great throwing mechanics make me optimistic that he can do so.

If Tanny takes Freeman, i'm ordering my jersey right away.

Hall Of Fame
    In the 1979 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected this guy in the third round with the 82nd overall pick.

Was he considered to be an innacurate QB in college? I know he didn't have a big arm.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

While it's not pinpoint, saying his accuracy is "erratic at best" is ludicrous. Did you watch any KS games this season? His receivers dropped so many balls, it's not even funny.

Freeman needs to work on his accuracy, but his great throwing mechanics make me optimistic that he can do so.

If Tanny takes Freeman, i'm ordering my jersey right away.
    yeh- I've watched him extensively throw the ball for two years and was at his combine workout....he sprays his passes all over the field- he threw the worse deep outs of anyone at the combine....he constantly missed open recievers on the field in college, could not move the chains and missed major opportuinities for the K-State offense....a QB as big and strong armed as Freeman would be a top ten pick if his pass placements were worth sh!t....

the only ludicrous comment is to claim his accuracy is not erratic- but don't take my word for it- just look at dassin's post from the scout at yesterday's workout which confirmed what everyone already knew...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    if this were any other year I don't know any of the so called big 3 Qbs would be first rounders. stafford i guess but even he's got bigtime flaws. Freeman's a huge project I don't see how he helps the Jets or any other team next year.

All League
    I really don't like any of the QBs on our roster and I'm worried that if KC and Rat both flop, we are sh*t outta luck for 2010. Don't even bring up Ainge.

So, I'm left with a bit of a dilemma....does it make more sense to draft one of these three this year lesser caliber prospects to have a back-up plan in place OR should we wait and pick one of the guys next year in a deep class (my personal favorite is McCoy) with the fate of the franchise on his young shoulders?

I really don't like any of the QBs on our roster and I'm worried that if KC and Rat both flop, we are sh*t outta luck for 2010. Don't even bring up Ainge.

So, I'm left with a bit of a dilemma....does it make more sense to draft one of these three this year lesser caliber prospects to have a back-up plan in place OR should we wait and pick one of the guys next year in a deep class (my personal favorite is McCoy) with the fate of the franchise on his young shoulders?
    Didn't want to make two posts. To the above poster who talked about accuracy, I just disagree that his accuracy will prevent him from being a Top NFL QB. It's something I expect to improve as he gets more weapons at the NFL level and keeps adding experience. He improved greatly every season at KS with constant subpar talent around him, and that shows me that Freeman will just get better and better.

I dont think next years QB class is as good as everybody thinks. I'm not crazy about McCoy or Bradford and I hate Tebow. Locker and Snead are both interesting prospects, but I think the Jets are in a good position to take a QB this year.

If I'm Tanny, I go WR at 17 and if Freeman falls past 22, trade into the late 1st/early 2nd and grab him.

Veteran
    Terry Bradshaw had the big arm but was wild as hell. He turned out ok. Many people expect perfection way too soon. Given what these guys make it's understandable but a little patience is sometimes a good thing.

All Pro
    Dear Tanny,

Go with Britt in the 1st and then trade back into the late 1st and take Freeman.

Thanks.
    Why trade back when you will be able to get Freeman in the 4th round??