Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Love this Time Of Year

All League

Gotta Love this Time Of Year

Sign Torry Holt! Trade for Derek Anderson! Trade for Jay Cutler! Get Anquan Boldin!

Enough already. This is not fantasy football, or Madden 2009. Be honest with yourself. There is no WR out there right now that is going to come in and make or break this team. There are plenty of WRs however who can make a contribution.

There is no Moss, no more Owens, no Andre Johnson. No. There is some rookies. Maybe one of them is great. But most likely, they will be average in year one.

No rookie is going to save us. This is our team. Like it or not, the draft is going to give us a bunch of contributors, and maybe a future starter. Maybe we even get lucky as hell and get a year 1 starter. But i doubt that, and so should you.

Lets start thinking instead how we have a better coach, and diff players are going to shine. Different players are going to adapt to this scheme, and some are not. I expect to see some marked improvement from the young guys. They have hunger. And I like hunger.

Say what you want, but KC has all the tools to be a great QB. Will he? Who knows, but 8 games is a poor timeframe to make a decision in. Plus, i thought he showed some moxy out there.

Ratliff? I think its laughable the guy had one good preseason and he is the next big thing. I mean, I wish him well, and I think he has a great arm, and he looked great out there, but so did a lot of other no name QBs at one time or another.

The bottom line is, like it or not, this is our team. We may get a WR or a Dlineman, maybe even another QB. But in reality, none of those are going to have much of an impact for next year.

One side note about the draft:

Anyone think that Stafford may be available when the Jets pick? I know it sounds crazy right now, but i have read that he would not even have been a first round pick in any other year. I haven't read one glowing review of him, and Detroit seems poised to try and get their QB at 20. If Seattle were to pass, and Jax did too, who else would take him?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    No rookie is going to save us. This is our team. Like it or not, the draft is going to give us a bunch of contributors, and maybe a future starter. Maybe we even get lucky as hell and get a year 1 starter.
    This part I agree with 100%.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This part I agree with 100%.
    That's probably more than usual

All League
    That's probably more than usual
    probably because most is like 90% of this one....crap.

All League
    I'm pretty comfortable with my opinions. Not exactly looking for people to agree with me. I kind of enjoy the old argument a hell of a lot more. So, gfy Dbake, b/c 90% of the stuff I write is way over your head, and the other 10% is something you already heard someone else say.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So, gfy Dbake, b/c 90% of the stuff I write is way over your head, and the other 10% is something you already heard someone else say.
    Holy crap, SoloEye just completely owned Dbake.

Hall Of Fame

No rookie is going to save us. This is our team. Like it or not, the draft is going to give us a bunch of contributors, and maybe a future starter. Maybe we even get lucky as hell and get a year 1 starter. But i doubt that, and so should you.
    Vilma, Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Keller say hey. 5 of our last 6 first round picks became instant starters. Your pessimism is laughable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Vilma, Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Keller say hey. 5 of our last 6 first round picks became instant starters. Your pessimism is laughable.
    Uh Oh One eye is now blind...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

the Jets rule in March & April!!!! too bad the season starts in September....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post

What a tool.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Hmmm and maybe Jetsrule will be back by then...He'll do the Summer with Big Brother..

Hall Of Fame
    But i doubt that, and so should you.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Uh Oh One eye is now blind...
    Not quite. It is not the last few years. First off the draft class is not that great.

Secondly, we got starters in those years because we had a terrible roster. However, we now have a solid unit. Name me a person who is going to be a starter from the draft. Give me a position. Are we going to draft a Punter in round 1? I hope not. I don't think you can give another position, cause in reality, for the first time in a while, we don't need any starters. We need depth, and to find out who can play QB.

In fact, the only position you can say we could get a possible starter is WR. However, WR is one of the tougher positions to come in and dominate from Day one. Always has been. So chances are, we will be lucky to get a contributor.

So all this one eye is saying is be happy with the team. I think we are going to be better than people think. Its not Pessimism. This is complete optimism.
    Last edited by One Eye; 03-14-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Banned
    Great post One Eye. You hit it on the button. I don't think it would hurt to sign a WR like Holt for a 2 year deal to that effect, or a d-lineman.

Hall Of Fame
    Huh? I totally don't get the post. You should have made this post before we signed free agents or traded.

You should have said forget about Bart Scott! Forget about Leonard! Forget about Lito Shepherd!

Nothing wrong with some due diligence as far as all these players go. WE are weak at WR so it would be shirking ones duty if you didn't explore Torry Holt or Braylon Edwards etc. If the cost is too high in $ or in trade then you move on but to ignore any and all possibilities to improve your team is not doing your job.

If you can improve the 45th man on your roster you have improved your team.

Explore ALL options, as long as your GM is smart and doesn't over pay for resources there should not be a problem.

Veteran
    In fact, the only position you can say we could get a possible starter is WR. However, WR is one of the tougher positions to come in and dominate from Day one. Always has been. So chances are, we will be lucky to get a contributor.
    DE would be another possibility.

So all this one eye is saying is be happy with the team. I think we are going to be better than people think. Its not Pessimism. This is complete optimism.
    So these Jet fans are sitting around drinking a few beers and talking about their team.

The more they talk the more cynical and pessimistic they become.

Finally one of them says, "You know I'm really an optimist."

His buddy sitting next to him says, "If you're such an optimist how come you look so worried?"

To which he replies, "You think it's easy being an optimist."

All League
    Sign Torry Holt! Trade for Derek Anderson! Trade for Jay Cutler! Get Anquan Boldin!

Enough already. This is not fantasy football, or Madden 2009. Be honest with yourself. There is no WR out there right now that is going to come in and make or break this team. There are plenty of WRs however who can make a contribution.

There is no Moss, no more Owens, no Andre Johnson. No. There is some rookies. Maybe one of them is great. But most likely, they will be average in year one.

Lets start thinking instead how we have a better coach, and diff players are going to shine. Different players are going to adapt to this scheme, and some are not. I expect to see some marked improvement from the young guys. They have hunger. And I like hunger.

Say what you want, but KC has all the tools to be a great QB. Will he? Who knows, but 8 games is a poor timeframe to make a decision in. Plus, i thought he showed some moxy out there.

Ratliff? I think its laughable the guy had one good preseason and he is the next big thing. I mean, I wish him well, and I think he has a great arm, and he looked great out there, but so did a lot of other no name QBs at one time or another.

The bottom line is, like it or not, this is our team. We may get a WR or a Dlineman, maybe even another QB. But in reality, none of those are going to have much of an impact for next year.

One side note about the draft:

Anyone think that Stafford may be available when the Jets pick? I know it sounds crazy right now, but i have read that he would not even have been a first round pick in any other year. I haven't read one glowing review of him, and Detroit seems poised to try and get their QB at 20. If Seattle were to pass, and Jax did too, who else would take him?
    Listen no one is saying this guy is a pro-bowler but people are excited about his potential. He fits the prototypical QB build in terms of measurements and looked good in preseason. Why shouldn't people be excited about his potential? I really don't follow your post. Sounds like a pessimistic view of things...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Listen no one is saying this guy is a pro-bowler but people are excited about his potential. He fits the prototypical QB build in terms of measurements and looked good in preseason. Why shouldn't people be excited about his potential? I really don't follow your post. Sounds like a pessimistic view of things...
    What's the potential? You still haven't seen him play a regular season game?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    What's the potential? You still haven't seen him play a regular season game?
    So Matt Stafford or any draft pick has no potential?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Read the threads. Half this message board has dismissed Clemens, thinks we should trade him for a can of Fanta, and that Ratliff has a great arm and great mobility and can be the next big thing.

Being excited about potential is different than what's going on in the threads. That's why it's like the Hatfields and the McCoys here, we're killing each other on the "REALITY" of the chance that Ratliff has to start. There are people who really support him, and there are people that don't.

I hope the kid does well too, but if you read carefully, his "pro-bowl" tickets have already been reserved.