Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the Jets have no tight ends

JetsInsider.com Legend

the Jets have no tight ends

Right now it's March 16 and they have 2 players listed at the position - Dustin Keller who is 6'2" 240 an excellent receiver, below average run blocker and james Dearth a long snapper. Robert Turner played TE last year, i guess you can count him. Essentially the corp consists of a big WR, a backup center and a long snapper - hence the thread title.

Im not going to make any Draft connection here, just wondering if anyone else is worried about how a run-first team is going to operate with no blocking tight ends?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Right now it's March 16 and they have 2 players listed at the position - Dustin Keller who is 6'2" 240 an excellent receiver, below average run blocker and james Dearth a long snapper. Robert Turner played TE last year, i guess you can count him. Essentially the corp consists of a big WR, a backup center and a long snapper - hence the thread title.

Im not going to make any Draft connection here, just wondering if anyone else is worried about how a run-first team is going to operate with no blocking tight ends?
    Probably sign someone before training camp to be strictly a blocking TE. A Sean Ryan type or someone like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Get that rambling wreck named Anthony Becht..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I haven't been able to insult you politically in so long, I can't process your question.

Seriously though, that's a good point...who's out there FA-wise that might be a good pickup? Because I can't see the Jets going TE early on draft day...I think the mob would bumrush the stage.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Run blocking TE's are a dime a dozen.

I don't see why you're freaking out about this, Bit.

You sure as hell don't take a Pettigrew at #17 to solve this problem. Not when we have huge needs at QB, WR, and DE. Not to mention trading back into the first round to get Keller last year.

You can get a good blocker at TE in the late rounds of the draft. And what happened to Billy Bajema who we had in for a visit? He doesn't offer jack as a receiver but supposedly he's one of the better blocking TE's in the league. Not to mention a guy like Becht is on the market.

All League
    What ever happened with the Billy the Baj?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Strictly blocking TE are not hard to find, what is difficult to find is what the Jets have, a TE with good hands that makes for tough match ups. Even a smaller offensive lineman could be drafted and used as a blocking TE.

Although, I wouldn't be against Anthony Becht coming back. He caught about as well as my grandma, but he was a solid blocker.

All League
    Bring Back Becht

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

You sure as hell don't take a Pettigrew at #17 to solve this problem. Not when we have huge needs at QB, WR, and DE. Not to mention trading back into the first round to get Keller last year.

You can get a good blocker at TE in the late rounds of the draft. And what happened to Billy Bajema who we had in for a visit? He doesn't offer jack as a receiver but supposedly he's one of the better blocking TE's in the league. Not to mention a guy like Becht is on the market.
    Becht was a fan favorite... Unless we saw a pass going in his direction

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Get that rambling wreck named Anthony Becht..
    Seriously, he's better than some other options out there, assuming he hasn't lost a step, of which he only had 2 to start with.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Like I said, I'm not going to make a draft connection here, I want this to remain in the football forum. Whether they go TE or not in the draft, that's another thread. I'm just wondering how a team that's supposedly gonna run - ALOT- to protect their young unproven QB is gonna get the job done with their current roster?

Bill Bajema is still out there, but there's not much else. LJ Smith is supposedly going to sign with DET or ATL. Bubba Franks is out there. Dan campbell? it's getting sparce. Becht, Sean Ryan and Posciak are out of the league more or less.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd be worried if it weren't early March and the season was starting next week.

I assume the Jets realize this too and will address the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I'm all for dan campbell.. bajema.. or becht for that matter. and would like to see it done b4 the draft, otherwise I may have to prepare myself to be shocked with pettigrew

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Seriously, he's better than some other options out there, assuming he hasn't lost a step, of which he only had 2 to start with.
    "IS THAT BECHT?!!"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    another question everyone says these players - tight ends who can block and also pose some sort of threat as a receiver are "a dime a dozen"

my response is "if they are so common, why don't the Jets have even 1 on their roster?"

All League
    TB has Stevens and A. Smith...the just traded for Winslow...either of these two are better than some...and cheap...either might work as a stop gap...

another question everyone says these players - tight ends who can block and also pose some sort of threat as a receiver are "a dime a dozen"

my response is "if they are so common, why don't the Jets have even 1 on their roster?"
    They just released two this offseason...

Veteran
    i could be mistaken, but isn't LJ Smith still avail as a FA (former eagle)

Practice Squad
    The Jets will pick one or two up, most likely through UFA or from Roster cuts It's tough to find a Keller, but easy to find a Run blocking Tight End who can catch the odd ball, when Spotting for him, or in a misdirection type play.
    It's not really an issue at this stage. More inportant questions will be who's our starting Q.B in 09? - We need a number 1 W.R, Depth on the O and D lines
    before we look at T.E depth