Thread: NYJ Short List

JetsInsider.com Legend

NYJ Short List

Assume they want to trade down more than anything - but if no trade down -

These 3 players are, in my opinion, the JETS most like top feasible targets at 17, listed in order of rank:

Mark Sanchez QB USC
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f61576

Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f61703

Brandon Pettigrew TE Okla St
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f6144f

If I had to bet money I'd bet the player being 1 of the above 3 names.

other realistic NYJ possibilites at 17, past the above 3:

WR Percy Harvin Florida
    QB Josh Freeman Kansas St
    DE Jarron Gilbert San Jose St
    DE Tyson Jackson LSU
    CB Darius Butler UConn
    LB Connor Barwin Cincinnati
    WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
    CB Alphonso Smith Wake Forest

other possible NYJ targets who probably _won't_ be on the board at 17:

QB Matthew Stafford Georgia
    RB Beanie Wells Ohio State
    WR Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
    WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri
    DE Robert Ayers Tennessee (might not fit 3-4)

Hall Of Fame
    Mark Sanchez QB USC
    I wouldn't like this pick.

I'd like this pick just fine.

I'd hate this pick.

If I had to bet money I'd bet the player being 1 of the above 3 names.

WR Percy Harvin Florida - Only okay if other guys i like are gone.
    QB Josh Freeman Kansas St - Would hate this pick.
    DE Jarron Gilbert San Jose St - Wouldn't mind this pick.
    DE Tyson Jackson LSU - Would not like this pick.
    CB Darius Butler UConn - Would not understand this pick.
    LB Connor Barwin Cincinnati - Would be okay with this pick.
    WR Kenny Britt Rutgers - Would think this is a reach but would be okay with it.
    CB Alphonso Smith Wake Forest - Would not understand this pick.

QB Matthew Stafford Georgia - Would be okay with this pick.
    RB Beanie Wells Ohio State - Would be okay with this pick.
    WR Michael Crabtree Texas Tech - Would love this pick.
    WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri - Would love this pick.
    DE Robert Ayers Tennessee (might not fit 3-4) - Would be okay with this pick.

All Pro
    Close Bit but the correct answer is:

Tyson Jackson DE LSU
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f5f335

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f61703

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f6144f

JetsInsider.com Legend
    just to be clear

this is not about picks I like or picks you like

these are targets I think the Jets wouldn't pass on at 17.

that is to say if Knowshon, Sanchez are both there at 17 I highly doubt neither become a Jet... one of those guys is wearing green.

we can talk about QB all day long but a guy named Mark Sanchez would play great in NY. Woody Johnson has to know that.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Dude, a double TE set with Pettigrew and Keller would be sick.... think of the possibilities and/or mismatch's that could and would produce in the passing attack and in the run game with 7 guys blocking. Pettigrew is a serious weapon to have.

All League
    Would they pass on Jenkins ( bad 40 time at the combine causes this major fall ) or Vontae Davis CB ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Would they pass on Jenkins ( bad 40 time at the combine causes this major fall ) or Vontae Davis CB ?
    these are interesting questions, I put Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith on the list purely because these are smart ball hawk types - but really they aren't going to drafta CB - i don't know that the JEts in general want any more DB through the early part of the draft.

they've been building alot through free agency and trades - and with Rolle & mcalister around maybe aren't even done building so I think in general a DB at 17 is very unlikely. They could be looking for a mid round guy in the draft.

So to answer your question I don't think Jenkins makes it past Houston and I don't think Davis goes off the board until the 20's.

All League
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...s-on-the-move/

FROM MICHAEL LOMBARDI:

23 March 2009

"I really believe the ‘09 NFL Draft will be called the “Josh Freeman Draft.” Freeman is hot right now; he’s an attractive player, and he has the teams picking in the teens wanting to acquire him. What cracks me up is that teams are willing to tell him how much they love him and send a huge red flag to teams picking behind them that they’d better trade up.

Mark Sanchez is the sleeper candidate right now. Not many are talking about him, but I hear he’s throwing the ball well in his private workouts and will have a sensational workout when the scouts come to USC to observe him. Staying in school may have served him better, but as the process of evaluation continues, Sanchez will impress everyone with his leadership skills, intelligence and talent.

Freeman is a talent, but he needs time and the right system to be fully effective. He will not be ready next year. But because so many teams lack talent at quarterback, there’s a huge amount of interest in him, which I find intriguing. Why is there so much interest in Freeman, yet Matt Cassel had only one team pursue him? Freeman has no pro tape and Cassel had 15 games to view, but Freeman is hot and Cassel was cold. I just don’t get it.

As we approach April, teams should be careful that Freeman might be the decoy candidate and Sanchez has all the interest. Nevertheless, this draft will not take shape in the first round until Sanchez comes off the board and teams’ desperation to fill a void at quarterback comes to the surface. Some team picking in the low teens can really benefit from this feeding frenzy. If I’m working with Buffalo or Denver, I’m praying Sanchez goes to Jacksonville at seven and I can sell off the pick to all the Freeman lovers."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin View Post
    As we approach April, teams should be careful that Freeman might be the decoy candidate and Sanchez has all the interest.
    this is exactly how I believe the Jets are playing this situation. They publically claim to love Freeman but I think that's a smoke screen. given the choice they take Sanchez over Freeman.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Feasible targets:

QB Mark Sanchez USC
    RB Chris "Beanie" Wells Ohio State
    WR Percy Harvin Florida

other 1st round talent that is realistic NYJ possibilites at 17, past the above 3:

WR Darius Heyward-Bey Maryland
    TE Brandon Pettigrew Oklahoma St
    CB Vontae Davis Illinois
    RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia

other possible NYJ targets who probably won't be on the board at 17:

WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri
    WR Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
    QB Matthew Stafford Georgia
    DE Tyson Jackson LSU
    DT BJ Raji BC

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    If you asked me to list the three most likely players the Jets will draft at 17 ... TODAY ... which is obviously subject to change, but if I had to list the three most likely candidates in no particular order

Jarron Gilbert
    Connor Barwin
    Josh Freeman

If the draft was being held tomorrow I would feel fairly confident the Jets would select one of those three at 17
    +1

Mark Sanchez The Jets are giving him a private workout. If Tanny-Rex-Schotty are convinced that Sanchez can make all the throws in the Northeast December-January weather...then you take him.

Knowshon Moreno If the Jets want to go RB at #17, and Beanie isn't there...I say yes to Knowshon.

Brandon Pettigrew...I'd rather pick a TE in the later rounds.

WR Percy Harvin Florida...No
    QB Josh Freeman Kansas St...ok by me if Jets liked what they saw in his private workout

DE Jarron Gilbert San Jose St...
    DE Tyson Jackson LSU...no
    CB Darius Butler UConn...NO
    LB Connor Barwin Cincinnati...
    WR Kenny Britt Rutgers...No
    CB Alphonso Smith Wake Forest...No

QB Matthew Stafford Georgia...If he's there Jets would take him
    RB Beanie Wells Ohio State...Yes...my 1st choice at RB
    WR Michael Crabtree Texas Tech...
    WR Jeremy Maclin Missouri...
    DE Robert Ayers Tennessee (might not fit 3-4)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

WR Percy Harvin Florida
    DE Jarron Gilbert San Jose St
    DE Tyson Jackson LSU
    CB Darius Butler UConn
    LB Connor Barwin Cincinnati
    WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
    CB Alphonso Smith Wake Forest

How does Heywood-Bey fit into this equation? Do you list Harvin and Britt as possibilities because you have them rated higher than DHB? I agree that Crabtree and Maclin are probably gone by #17, and I understand that Harvin probably equals value at that point, I'm just surprised that you listed Britt that high.

I'm not against Harvin, necessarily. I just would rather the prototypical tall WR type as opposed to a hybrid "athlete" like Harvin. I'm not categorically opposed to Harvin and Leon on the same squad, but its not my first choice.

Hall Of Fame
    If you asked me to list the three most likely players the Jets will draft at 17 ... TODAY ... which is obviously subject to change, but if I had to list the three most likely candidates in no particular order

Jarron Gilbert
    Connor Barwin
    Josh Freeman

If the draft was being held tomorrow I would feel fairly confident the Jets would select one of those three at 17
    What's your take on Freeman?

To me if the Jets really are interested in Freeman and take him doesn't it mean:

1. They know Kellen isn't the answer
    2. It's still going to be another 2 years or so before we do know if we have a QB?

As I think about it if Rex does want to run a physical, smash mouth offense centering on the running game you could play a Freeman with the running game limiting his exposure while he learns the pro game ala Flacco.

The ol' don't lose the game QB mentality for a year or two as he grows into a NFL QB...

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

To me if the Jets really are interested in Freeman and take him doesn't it mean:

2. It's still going to be another 2 years or so before we do know if we have a QB?

As I think about it if Rex does want to run a physical, smash mouth offense centering on the running game you could play a Freeman with the running game limiting his exposure while he learns the pro game ala Flacco.

The ol' don't lose the game QB mentality for a year or two as he grows into a NFL QB
    Then why not just go with KC or Ratliff??? Use our 1st rounder on another need.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    Then why not just go with KC or Ratliff??? Use our 1st rounder on another need.
    Good point.

I'm thinking on the fly here and caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

My counter would be the Jets FO thinks Freeman's upside is far superior to Clemens and Rats so a couple of years from now they then have a franchise QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

The ol' don't lose the game QB mentality for a year or two as he grows into a NFL QB...
    If we take Freeman, he isn't starting this year. That's a no doubter. So, if we have him developing for 1-2 years, it gives us the opportunity to see if Ratty/KC can come through. If one of them flourishes, it means we have at least 2 strong QBs on the roster (and if one of KC/BR does well, it doesn't mean the other doesn't have value).

Having two young, skilled QBs is a great position to be in. If it turns out that we found our franchise QB in KC/Ratty, we could trade Freeman for a ransom 2 years from now.

It gives a much better shot at finding our QB for the next 10 years. If that's the way they want to go (and they really like Freeman), I'm ok with devoting the #17th pick for that reason.

All Pro

Jarron Gilbert
    Connor Barwin
    Josh Freeman

Take the best defensive player in the National Football league,and tell me you could trade that player whoever it maybe for say Jay Cutler or any of the top 5 QBs currently in the NFL.If you don't have 1,you go get 1 and you don't ever stop untill you get 1.Picking this late in the 1st round,with the chance to get 1,you can't not take that chance.

Banned
    Does this mean Darius Butler is rising now?

I've been waiting for that...

I can't wait until April.

Right now, I don't have a top 3.