Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: When the Stars Align: The Case for Beanie Wells

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843

    When the Stars Align: The Case for Beanie Wells

    The arguments against:
    -You can often find quality RB's in the later rounds, especially the 2nd and 3rd.
    -He's been injured.
    -He's been noted to run out of bounds rather than put his shoulder down and get the extra yard.

    I think the first point is the one most likely to affect thinking on draft day. Everyone assumes you can grab a good back later in the draft like MJD, Forte, Gore. But I think it would be a mistake to pass on Wells for any of the above reasons as he has elite potential.

    He has been favorably compared to Jamal Lewis who was the #5 overall pick in 2000 and an absolute beast for years. Almost everyone agrees that he has all the physical tools. He is 6'1, 235lbs and runs a sub-4.5 40.
    Beanie is now projected to go #6 overall by Charley Casserly. He's Scott Wright's 10th overall ranked player. Here's Wright's Scouting Report:
    -----------------------------
    Strengths:
    Outstanding size and bulk...Very athletic...Strong, powerful downhill runner...Breaks a lot of tackles and doesn't go down easily...Excellent stiff-arm...Explosive with a burst...Patient with very good vision and instincts...Has nifty feet...Moves well in the hole...Good balance and usually falls forward...Can stick his foot in the ground and change directions...Reaches top speed in a hurry...Plays faster than he times and was able to run away from people in college...Workhorse who gets stronger as the game goes on...Real competitive...Terrific production.

    Weaknesses:
    Often hampered by minor nagging injuries...Just average timed speed...Limited experience as a receiver...Doesn't have great hands or run good routes...Will struggle to get outside and turn the corner...Not overly elusive...Might be too tall and runs high at times...Adequate blocker but could show better effort...Toughness has been questioned.

    Notes:
    Nickname is "Beanie"...Local Akron, Ohio product who was an elite recruit coming out of high school...Named MVP of the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl...Split carries with Antonio Pittman as a true freshman...Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2007...The fourth leading rusher in Ohio State history despite only playing three seasons...Voted the Buckeyes MVP in 2007 and 2008...As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior...Gamer who had some of his best games on the biggest stages...For all the talk about his durability concerns he has never suffered a major injury and actually only missed a grand total of just three games in college, all in 2008...Has shown the ability to play through pain but will always be susceptible to getting nicked up due to his physical, aggressive running style...Has the talent to be one of the best running backs in the entire league as long as he can stay healthy.

    --------------------------------------
    The stars are very likely to align that he will be there for us at 17. This is how the Ravens and Chargers have drafted so well, take the guy with elite potential that falls to you e.g Ray Lewis, Antonio Cromartie.

    With Beanie Wells we should be happy he has the question marks he does because they are what will push him down to us. Had he been 100% throughout his career he may very well be a consensus top-5 pick. The stars align because there are very few teams with glaring need at RB drafting ahead of us combined with the common thinking now that quality RB's can be had later in the draft. This opens the door for us getting an elite player at 17. This is beautiful need meets value too as 2009 will be Thomas Jones' last as a Jet.

    My top choice at 17 now is Beanie Wells. I also like Maclin very much and certainly would consider Sanchez but I am assuming they won't be on the board at 17. Thoughts?
    Last edited by David Harris; 03-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    Chris Wells=Soft. All of the arguments against are exactly why he shouldn't be taken at 17(even though I doubt he'll be there).

    Wells is an oxymoron. He's a soft bruiser. He runs hard, but gets dinged constantly and I doubt that will change in the NFL.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,622
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    The arguments against:
    -You can often find quality RB's in the later rounds, especially the 2nd and 3rd.
    -He's been injured.
    -He's been noted to run out of bounds rather than put his shoulder down and get the extra yard.

    I think the first point is the one most likely to affect thinking on draft day. Everyone assumes you can grab a good back later in the draft like MJD, Forte, Gore. But I think it would be a mistake to pass on Wells for any of the above reasons as he has elite potential.

    He has been favorably compared to Jamal Lewis who was the #5 overall pick in 2000 and an absolute beast for years. Almost everyone agrees that he has all the physical tools. He is 6'1, 235lbs and runs a sub-4.5 40.
    Beanie is now projected to go #6 overall by Charley Casserly. He's Scott Wright's 10th overall ranked player. Here's Wright's Scouting Report:
    -----------------------------
    Strengths:
    Outstanding size and bulk...Very athletic...Strong, powerful downhill runner...Breaks a lot of tackles and doesn't go down easily...Excellent stiff-arm...Explosive with a burst...Patient with very good vision and instincts...Has nifty feet...Moves well in the hole...Good balance and usually falls forward...Can stick his foot in the ground and change directions...Reaches top speed in a hurry...Plays faster than he times and was able to run away from people in college...Workhorse who gets stronger as the game goes on...Real competitive...Terrific production.

    Weaknesses:
    Often hampered by minor nagging injuries...Just average timed speed...Limited experience as a receiver...Doesn't have great hands or run good routes...Will struggle to get outside and turn the corner...Not overly elusive...Might be too tall and runs high at times...Adequate blocker but could show better effort...Toughness has been questioned.

    Notes:
    Nickname is "Beanie"...Local Akron, Ohio product who was an elite recruit coming out of high school...Named MVP of the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl...Split carries with Antonio Pittman as a true freshman...Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2007...The fourth leading rusher in Ohio State history despite only playing three seasons...Voted the Buckeyes MVP in 2007 and 2008...As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior...Gamer who had some of his best games on the biggest stages...For all the talk about his durability concerns he has never suffered a major injury and actually only missed a grand total of just three games in college, all in 2008...Has shown the ability to play through pain but will always be susceptible to getting nicked up due to his physical, aggressive running style...Has the talent to be one of the best running backs in the entire league as long as he can stay healthy.

    --------------------------------------
    The stars are very likely to align that he will be there for us at 17. This is how the Ravens and Chargers have drafted so well, take the guy with elite potential that falls to you e.g Ray Lewis, Antonio Cromartie.

    With Beanie Wells we should be happy he has the question marks he does because they are what will push him down to us. Had he been 100% throughout his career he may very well be a consensus top-5 pick. The stars align because there are very few teams with glaring need at RB drafting ahead of us combined with the common thinking now that quality RB's can be had later in the draft. This opens the door for us getting an elite player at 17. This is beautiful need meets value too as 2009 will be Thomas Jones' last as a Jet.

    My top choice at 17 now is Beanie Wells. I also like Maclin very much and certainly would consider Sanchez but I am assuming they won't be on the board at 17. Thoughts?
    Recently got on board with drafting Beanie at #17. I think the "soft running" is overblown from what I have seen of the guy which is admittedly a relatively small sample of 2-3 games and his bowl game to go along with highlights (which i know are skewed in his favor). I think he would be a great pick at 17.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Chris Wells=Soft. All of the arguments against are exactly why he shouldn't be taken at 17(even though I doubt he'll be there).

    Wells is an oxymoron. He's a soft bruiser. He runs hard, but gets dinged constantly and I doubt that will change in the NFL.
    What if he didn't get dinged up in college, where would he go then, possibly top-5. He's never had any major injuries. And at 17 all players are going to have some question marks but Beanie has a better chance than most to be top-5 in the league at his position within 2 years.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    LeSean McCoy has the potential to be one of the best backs in the NFL too.

    Plus, he's got no injury history and he doesn't run like a girl.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    LeSean McCoy has the potential to be one of the best backs in the NFL too.

    Plus, he's got no injury history and he doesn't run like a girl.
    Lolza, you're McCoy manlove has been duly noted (again).

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Lolza, you're McCoy manlove has been duly noted (again).
    Lol. It had to be done. Just in case anybody forgot...

    No but really, gut feel isn't much I know, but I think Wells is just overrated as hell. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane to me. I don't think he's even in the top 3 big backs in this class (Green, Brown, Jennings), he's not as strong a runner as Moreno, and none of these guys have McCoy's feet.

    If he went to a smaller school than Ohio State, I think he'd be fighting to be a top 5 back rather than being given that title.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    The arguments against:
    -You can often find quality RB's in the later rounds, especially the 2nd and 3rd.
    -He's been injured.
    -He's been noted to run out of bounds rather than put his shoulder down and get the extra yard.

    I think the first point is the one most likely to affect thinking on draft day. Everyone assumes you can grab a good back later in the draft like MJD, Forte, Gore. But I think it would be a mistake to pass on Wells for any of the above reasons as he has elite potential.

    He has been favorably compared to Jamal Lewis who was the #5 overall pick in 2000 and an absolute beast for years. Almost everyone agrees that he has all the physical tools. He is 6'1, 235lbs and runs a sub-4.5 40.
    Beanie is now projected to go #6 overall by Charley Casserly. He's Scott Wright's 10th overall ranked player. Here's Wright's Scouting Report:
    -----------------------------
    Strengths:
    Outstanding size and bulk...Very athletic...Strong, powerful downhill runner...Breaks a lot of tackles and doesn't go down easily...Excellent stiff-arm...Explosive with a burst...Patient with very good vision and instincts...Has nifty feet...Moves well in the hole...Good balance and usually falls forward...Can stick his foot in the ground and change directions...Reaches top speed in a hurry...Plays faster than he times and was able to run away from people in college...Workhorse who gets stronger as the game goes on...Real competitive...Terrific production.

    Weaknesses:
    Often hampered by minor nagging injuries...Just average timed speed...Limited experience as a receiver...Doesn't have great hands or run good routes...Will struggle to get outside and turn the corner...Not overly elusive...Might be too tall and runs high at times...Adequate blocker but could show better effort...Toughness has been questioned.

    Notes:
    Nickname is "Beanie"...Local Akron, Ohio product who was an elite recruit coming out of high school...Named MVP of the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl...Split carries with Antonio Pittman as a true freshman...Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2007...The fourth leading rusher in Ohio State history despite only playing three seasons...Voted the Buckeyes MVP in 2007 and 2008...As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior...Gamer who had some of his best games on the biggest stages...For all the talk about his durability concerns he has never suffered a major injury and actually only missed a grand total of just three games in college, all in 2008...Has shown the ability to play through pain but will always be susceptible to getting nicked up due to his physical, aggressive running style...Has the talent to be one of the best running backs in the entire league as long as he can stay healthy.

    --------------------------------------
    The stars are very likely to align that he will be there for us at 17. This is how the Ravens and Chargers have drafted so well, take the guy with elite potential that falls to you e.g Ray Lewis, Antonio Cromartie.

    With Beanie Wells we should be happy he has the question marks he does because they are what will push him down to us. Had he been 100% throughout his career he may very well be a consensus top-5 pick. The stars align because there are very few teams with glaring need at RB drafting ahead of us combined with the common thinking now that quality RB's can be had later in the draft. This opens the door for us getting an elite player at 17. This is beautiful need meets value too as 2009 will be Thomas Jones' last as a Jet.

    My top choice at 17 now is Beanie Wells. I also like Maclin very much and certainly would consider Sanchez but I am assuming they won't be on the board at 17. Thoughts?
    i agree if he's there at 17. . . though all goes out the window if Sanchez slips close to us IMO.

    I hate to say it but I've heard a few scouts liken his ability to Jim Brown regarding his pro prospects.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Lol. It had to be done. Just in case anybody forgot...

    No but really, gut feel isn't much I know, but I think Wells is just overrated as hell. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane to me. I don't think he's even in the top 3 big backs in this class (Green, Brown, Jennings), he's not as strong a runner as Moreno, and none of these guys have McCoy's feet.

    If he went to a smaller school than Ohio State, I think he'd be fighting to be a top 5 back rather than being given that title.
    He didn't go to a smaller school because he's been a blue chip prospect since halfway through high school. He's the Stafford of the RBs. The guy's been pegged as a top 10 pick since he was a senior in HS and people have just been looking for reasons to knock him since then.

    Same thing happened to AP. He fell to #7 for the same BS injury concerns. If Wells falls to #17 he's going to be a slam dunk pick.

    Freak athletes are what the 1st round is all about. He's got the potential to be one of the best backs in the league.

    I like McCoy (not as much as you), but Wells is just on a different level than McCoy physically. Maybe it's a gut call on my part, but I think those nagging injures and 'runs like Jane' concerns are a product of nitpicking and won't be a problem in the NFL.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,367
    Well i'll comfortably admit that Wells is my #1 choice for our 17th pick (out of those who we realistically have a shot at). ...but i think as april progresses Wells will climb back up the draft boards like Casserly is predicting. Someone like CIN or HOU will shake the cobwebbs and pull the trigger.
    Which is why i'm settling ATM for getting myself Pettigrew. I'd rathe have him and take McCoy in the second or Brown in the third if we take Gilbert in the second...than to take Moreno in the first. Moreno has his upsides, but i really saw a whole lotta nothing from last years one year wonder Mendenhal

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Well i'll comfortably admit that Wells is my #1 choice for our 17th pick (out of those who we realistically have a shot at). ...but i think as april progresses Wells will climb back up the draft boards like Casserly is predicting. Someone like CIN or HOU will shake the cobwebbs and pull the trigger.
    Which is why i'm settling ATM for getting myself Pettigrew. I'd rathe have him and take McCoy in the second or Brown in the third if we take Gilbert in the second...than to take Moreno in the first. Moreno has his upsides, but i really saw a whole lotta nothing from last years one year wonder Mendenhal
    Are you calling Moreno a one year wonder?

    2007 248 1336 5.4 80 14 20 253 12.7 35 0 0 0
    2008 250 1400 5.6 68 16 33 392 11.9 37 2 0 0

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,367
    yes i am.

  13. #13
    DH...If Jets decide to go offense beyond QB...I like either Jeremy Maclin or Beanie Wells.

    I'm not buying the soft label. I'm sure that 'MadBacker' (Scott) will bite beanie on the asx, and transform him into a rabid bruising back...new nickname...Beastie Wells

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    yes i am.
    How can a guy with two standout years be a one year wonder? I just dont get it.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    yes i am.
    don't you mean 2 year wonder?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    He didn't go to a smaller school because he's been a blue chip prospect since halfway through high school. He's the Stafford of the RBs. The guy's been pegged as a top 10 pick since he was a senior in HS and people have just been looking for reasons to knock him since then.

    Same thing happened to AP. He fell to #7 for the same BS injury concerns. If Wells falls to #17 he's going to be a slam dunk pick.

    Freak athletes are what the 1st round is all about. He's got the potential to be one of the best backs in the league.

    I like McCoy (not as much as you), but Wells is just on a different level than McCoy physically. Maybe it's a gut call on my part, but I think those nagging injures and 'runs like Jane' concerns are a product of nitpicking and won't be a problem in the NFL.
    He's not a freak athlete though.

    He had an excellent workout, but freak standards are pretty high nowadays. Mario Williams is a freak athlete. Wells is a tall, heavy back who can run faster and quicker than expected, but not mindblowingly so.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,367
    no i'm gonna stick with one.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    He's not a freak athlete though.

    He had an excellent workout, but freak standards are pretty high nowadays. Mario Williams is a freak athlete. Wells is a tall, heavy back who can run faster and quicker than expected, but not mindblowingly so.
    We're splitting hairs here with the definition of 'freak athlete'

    I think a 235lb back who runs in the 4.4s and has the inside/outside quickness that Wells has is pretty freakish. He's a prototype NFL back.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    no i'm gonna stick with one.
    haha OK dude.

    Answer me this, which year is his 'one year' since the #'s from 2007 and 2008 are nearly identical?

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    We're splitting hairs here with the definition of 'freak athlete'

    I think a 235lb back who runs in the 4.4s and has the inside/outside quickness that Wells has is pretty freakish. He's a prototype NFL back.
    True enough.

    He's a prototype NFL back in size yea...but so are alot of guys...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us