Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Confirm Jones Absence

All League

Jets Confirm Jones Absence

From the Ledger via rotoworld...

Thomas Jones remained absent as the Jets opened week two of their offseason conditioning program Monday.
    The team is now confirming Jones' absence. These activities are considered optional, but it'll be interesting to see if Jones shows up for the Jets' mandatory camp before the draft. He remains dissatisfied with his contract.
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...gain_from.html

Rookie
    No big deal. Thomas Jones is good, but can be replaced in the draft if needed. We have a very good run blocking offensive line and the Broncos and Steelers have proven over the years that you can replaced running backs pretty easily.

All League
    It's no wonder Rex's first offensive comments were about getting Leon the ball more.

Rookie
    And this year the draft seems to be full of potientially good running backs. With Thomas being over 30, I fully expect, as most of us do, that the Jets will go out and draft one of them.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    It's no wonder Rex's first offensive comments were about getting Leon the ball more.
    Leon can't handell the ball more.....leon does well with 15 touches a game...he's not a 25 touches a carry guy,,,I love Leon he's wicked....but lets be real

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-man View Post
    Leon can't handell the ball more.....leon does well with 15 touches a game...he's not a 25 touches a carry guy,,,I love Leon he's wicked....but lets be real
    Agreed, but how many times, especially down the strech, last year did he touch the 10 times on offense, let alone 15

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

He was the AFC's leading rusher last year, any way you slice it this is an undesirable situation. Yeah, we can draft a RB, but we also badly need other positions filled, such as WR.

Jones still has some gas in the tank, maybe there's a way for the team to satisfy him with a small bump in salary for 09, rather than giving him a new deal.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He was the AFC's leading rusher last year, any way you slice it this is an undesirable situation. Yeah, we can draft a RB, but we also badly need other positions filled, such as WR.

Jones still has some gas in the tank, maybe there's a way for the team to satisfy him with a small bump in salary for 09, rather than giving him a new deal.
    Valid point but I think we have to draft a RB regardless.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-man View Post
    There were games last year where Leon touched the ball 3 times.. I would hope he can handle the ball more..

All League

I do not like it...I like Jones...you could see this guy playing his heart out over and over...maybe he was playing for a new contract...good for him...but at 31...how long could he have..1-2 years tops...but what I do not like is it may f-up the draft...we may need to go RB with #1 and then we miss WR Britt...wish we could secure Jones for one more year...put a tag on him...then we can go RB next year...

Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post
    I do not like it...I like Jones...you could see this guy playing his heart out over and over...maybe he was playing for a new contract...good for him...but at 31...how long could he have..1-2 years tops...but what I do not like is it may f-up the draft...we may need to go RB with #1 and then we miss WR Britt...wish we could secure Jones for one more year...put a tag on him...then we can go RB next year...
    why would we tag him when he's under contract

we could deal him draft day in a swap of picks, similar to the deal we got him for.

A piece to trade up.

that would be nice but don't think that'll fly with jones or his camp. .

we'll see

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY JOHNSON View Post
    that would be nice but don't think that'll fly with jones or his camp. .

we'll see
    Rex supposedly has a policy of not negotiating new deals with players who are under contract. I guess we'll find out how iron clad that policy is... Draft Beanie Wells anyway...

Hall Of Fame

This is Jones' audition year for his next (last?) contract. He is not going to risk taking a holdout too far, nor will he risk dogging it IMO.

A trade might be a smart option for everyone. We get to go younger at the position, Jones gets his money and someone else gets the AFC's leading rusher. The market for running backs is not exactly frothy however.

What could we get for him? A third?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    This is Jones' audition year for his next (last?) contract. He is not going to risk taking a holdout too far, nor will he risk dogging it IMO.

A trade might be a smart option for everyone. We get to go younger at the position, Jones gets his money and someone else gets the AFC's leading rusher. The market for running backs is not exactly frothy however.

What could we get for him? A third?
    I think a third is very optimistic. Two years ago, we got him for a SWAP of 2nd round picks. He's now 31 and I'd be surprised if anyone offered a pick straight up for him. More like an exchange of picks like we did.

All League

I believe Jones has plenty of gas in the tank. He has much lower "mileage" than other running backs his age.

Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    Valid point but I think we have to draft a RB regardless.
    Agreed, though I think it should be later in the draft since we have more pressing needs. Drafting a RB would serve a double purpose, filling a need and perhaps sending a message to Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY JOHNSON View Post
    why would we tag him when he's under contract

we could deal him draft day in a swap of picks, similar to the deal we got him for.

A piece to trade up.
    At his age he has very little trade value.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post

Ummm, Jones is under contract with the Jets through 2010.

All League
    We need Thomas onboard now..With inexperience at the QB position guys like TJ are even more critical to retain.

Practice Squad
    enter Chris Wells....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not to worry Buzzer we have Jehuu "Big Boo" from MSU,Marcus "THe Stone" Mason and the incomparable Danny"The Dart"Woodhead" to take the team to a new level..(It could be a low level but who knows??)