View Poll Results: Kenny Britt worth 17 overall?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 32.39%
  • No

48 67.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kenny Britt worth 17 pick?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Is Kenny Britt worth 17 pick?

Is Rutgers WR Kenny Britt worth the selection at 17?

Maybe this is oversimplfying things but the answer to this question dictates everything at the pick. If he is worth it, he's an easy pick. If he's not worth it, they probably don't pick a WR in round 1 at all.

Banned
    If there was a poll done in 2006 asking if Cutler or Ngata were worth the #4 pick I'm pretty sure most would say no.

All League
    If this kid was from Michigan State he wouldn't get near the love he gets on this board. He is a late late 1st early 2nd at best.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Is Rutgers WR Kenny Britt worth the selection at 17?

Maybe this is oversimplfying things but the answer to this question dictates everything at the pick. If he is worth it, he's an easy pick. If he's not worth it, they probably don't pick a WR in round 1 at all.
    Can't you say that about anyone at a position of need?

Is Harvin worth it? Is DHB worth it? If the answer to those is yes, than its an easy pick.

Practice Squad
    I don't get why it matters what our pick is. Our first pick should be used on a WR, pick the best one available.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RjetsR View Post
    I don't get why it matters what our pick is. Our first pick should be used on a WR, pick the best one available.
    WHAT???????????????????

My man, you have to play your cards better than that if you want to sit at the final table.

All League
    thats not the way good teams build through the draft. You always have to take into consideration your needs but you also have to consider value at the spot.

Hall Of Fame
    I think if we selected Britt at 17, that we would be getting a good player (And an undervalued one) for our pick. But it seems a little unlikely that he'd really have been in danger of going in the next 5-10 picks otherwise. In some ways I think that's overrated though, the draft is about getting good players, not necessairily good values. You think the Pats care that they reached on Mayo last year?

Ideally, we'd trade down to like 25, pick up some extra picks, and take Britt. IMO
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-31-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

no fuqin way...never was- never will be.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    With Crabtree and Maclin most likely off the board, the only WR I think is worthy of the 17th pick is Percy Harvin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    WHAT???????????????????

My man, you have to play your cards better than that if you want to sit at the final table.
    No dude, we need a WR and we need one as soon as possible. Even if the first 16 picks are WR, we take the 17th best WR in the class if we have to.

To be the best you don't take the best, you take what you need.

Britt's a late first round pick at best IMO, and either way I don't trust non-elite WR's drafted in the first round.

I'll vote no. Personally, Devin Thomas was a better prospect. That said, if he falls to round 2 I'd love him.

No on Harvin too.

disagree on Thomas. Britt is a far more polished and accomplished receiver in basically ever facet of the game, blocks better and has better size.

All Pro
    no but depending on who was left and what if any trade down options we had, I could see taking him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    disagree on Thomas. Britt is a far more polished and accomplished receiver in basically ever facet of the game, blocks better and has better size.
    Britt was an inch taller, but Thomas was built thicker. Disagree on size.

Britt's not as polished as you think he is or I once thought he was. He still could put on some NFL muscle and add a bit more physicality to his game.

I think both have pretty natural hands, but Thomas blew everyone away last year with how natural he looked as a pass catcher.

Britt is more accomplished with two seasons of big time production rather than one.

I think they're both pretty even as far as prospects go, but I was/am a pretty big Devin Thomas fan. Of the two I think Thomas has the more powerful lower body and a little more physical of a game.

Seeing as Thomas didn't set the league on fire as a rookie I doubt Britt will. Since everyone seems to be looking for that quick fix, I doubt you'd be all that happy with Britt. In 3 years though...he could be a Braylon Edwards clone. I want Britt to be more physical going up for the ball, because in college he really didn't have to do that. If you want to see how a WR should catch a ball watch Crabtree. If you want to see a guy who knows he'll catch it because he's more talented than the guys defending him watch Britt. He's going to hit a wall as a pro because of little things like that.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 03-31-2009 at 12:17 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I think if we selected Britt at 17, that we would be getting a good player (And an undervalued one) for our pick. But it seems a little unlikely that he'd really have been in danger of going in the next 5-10 picks otherwise. In some ways I think that's overrated though, the draft is about getting good players, not necessairily good values. You think the Pats care that they reached on Mayo last year?
    I couldn't agee more.

You say in "some ways", getting good values is overrated. I'll see that and raise you. I think in "many ways", good value is overrated. IMO, the tendency of many teams to get too hung up on achieving good value causes them to draft poorly. You give a very good example with the Pats drafting Mayo. If I am running the Jets I am looking at two things: BPA and need. Screw the values! They are only perceptions and are more than likely not to pan out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Ideally, we'd trade down to like 25, pick up some extra picks, and take Britt. IMO
    Absolutely. Ven0m for GM!

Banned
    You know how unlikely it is we get anyone who wants to trade up?

Trading down would be anyones first move if they can't get a player they love...it's just hard as hell to do.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    You know how unlikely it is we get anyone who wants to trade up?

Trading down would be anyones first move if they can't get a player they love...it's just hard as hell to do.
    You're right.

All Pro
    worst post ever.

Britt's not a Larry, Britt's not a Calvin. I'd be shocked if he has more than 20 receptions in year 1. He's a prototypical high potential rnd 2 Reciever that could go either way.

Someone said something about good players, not good value. A good player in round 5 is different that a good player in round 1.
    Neglecting to be aware of where the value is, is just being an idealist or ignorant. Makes for great quotes and philosophical banter, but thats the same school of thought that gets guys like Penny boy behind center. At some point, its not the intangibles but the tangibles.

If Maclin's gone, we're passing a wideout. we've got other areas of more importance

Veteran
    I think what we should do is trade down in the 1st round and take BPA then trade up in the 2nd and get the top WR on the board which would probably be Britt.

Banned
    Draftology is about as exact a science as scientology. YOU take who YOU THINK YOU NEED AND WILL BE GOOD. You don't take who Mel Kiper, Merril Hoge or poopchutenfldraft.com thinks you should take at a certain spot.

Simple philosophy and if the Jets followed it in '06 they probably draft Cutler over Brick and in '08 they probably take one of the running backs, Branden Albert, Ryan Clady or Joe Flacco over Vernon Buston.