Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget Offense Remember 1986 Giants

Forget Offense Remember 1986 Giants

In '86 the Giants had B.Johnson, S. Robinson, P. McKonkey, M. Bavaro, and Z.Mowat in the passing game. All the receivers were possession types. Bavaro was a load, the running game was excellent, and the qb played great, but certainly it was the defense that kept them in games and gave the offense chances and field position every game. That year LT had 20.5 sacks and the rest of the front seven was very good to excellent. While we don't have an LT, our front seven and backfield have a chance to be very good. I say we draft Raji in the first and a good blocking and pass catching tight end in the second or third. If we get lucky with Gholston our front seven will be fine. Raji can play second down, giving Jenkins a blow between 1st and 3rd and maybe he plays well all 16 games. Just look what happened when he faded. I think all this talk about drafting a WR or QB in the first round is misplaced. There's no reason our offense as constituted can't win a majority of games with a top 10 defense and that's what we'll have. What do you think ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SECTION 332 ROW 24 View Post
    In '86 the Giants had B.Johnson, S. Robinson, P. McKonkey, M. Bavaro, and Z.Mowat in the passing game. All the receivers were possession types. Bavaro was a load, the running game was excellent, and the qb played great, but certainly it was the defense that kept them in games and gave the offense chances and field position every game. That year LT had 20.5 sacks and the rest of the front seven was very good to excellent. While we don't have an LT, our front seven and backfield have a chance to be very good. I say we draft Raji in the first and a good blocking and pass catching tight end in the second or third. If we get lucky with Gholston our front seven will be fine. Raji can play second down, giving Jenkins a blow between 1st and 3rd and maybe he plays well all 16 games. Just look what happened when he faded. I think all this talk about drafting a WR or QB in the first round is misplaced. There's no reason our offense as constituted can't win a majority of games with a top 10 defense and that's what we'll have. What do you think ?
    I think you sir.....are crazy.

Veteran

Right now, we are certainly not Giants among men...

JetsInsider.com Legend

There's no reason our offense as constituted can't win a majority of games with a top 10 defense and that's what we'll have. What do you think ?

Unfortunately, the Jets do not have a top 10 defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Nor do we have a 'great QB'.

I'd say we're set.

All League
    of course not, the season has not yet started

JetsInsider.com Legend
    there is no LT in this draft...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You forgot their running game lead by 5'7 195 pound Joe Morris..Also Simms had 21 tds and 22 picks..Jet fans would have hung him for a year like that..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Just having Ryan as coach guarantees 8 wins.

Veteran

This is a new record! It only took one post to figure out you are F-ing NUTS

Welcome Home LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there is no LT in this draft...
    Or Bowling balls with butcher knives either..

I may be crazy but do you disagree that defense wins in this league and that our offense has enough tools with TJ, Leon, Keller, Cotchery, and some promising young wideouts to atleast be average ?

That great QB had more picks than td's that year and clearly it was the running game and Bavaro that made the offense go.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Just having Ryan as coach guarantees 8 wins.
    And Revis adds 4 more.

Veteran
    And Revis adds 4 more.
    Tx 2 overlap to give a total of 10

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I may be crazy but do you disagree that defense wins in this league and that our offense has enough tools with TJ, Leon, Keller, Cotchery, and some promising young wideouts to atleast be average ?
    Without a legitimate NFL QB, the Jets offense will rank 25-32 in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And Revis adds 4 more.
    Add 2 for Leon and 1 each for Rhodes and Bart Scott...Ok we are undefeated I wonder who we face in the Bowl???

Veteran
    I agree that defense wins in this league, but the offense is missing a functioning qb in order to be average.

I am not saying Clemens or Rat isnt the answer, we just won't know until the season starts.

Let's see, the year Penny and KC both played KC won more games so I guess you wouldn't consider Penny a legitimate NFL QB either.

I agree we won't know what we really have at QB until the bullets are flying but for different reasons I think either KC or the Rat will be "legitimate". Not saying they'll be top ten but serviceable middle of the pack types with a possibility that one of them surprises us on the upside.