Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brett Ratliff and David Clowney look to build on last season's chemistry

All League

Post Brett Ratliff and David Clowney look to build on last season's chemistry

New York Jets' Brett Ratliff and David Clowney look to build on last season's chemistry
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Wednesday April 15, 2009, 12:07 PM

Mark Duncan/Associated Press
    David Clowney, left, showed potential last preseason before missing the regular season with a broken collarbone.The Jets open their three-day minicamp Thursday at Florham Park and I'm eager to see if quarterback Brett Ratliff and wide receiver David Clowney can recapture the magic they had in the preseason a year ago.

Ratliff completed 32 of 47 passes for 499 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. He had a 122.6 passer rating. Clowney had eight catches for 222 yards and two touchdowns (70 and 71 yards) in just two games, including four receptions for 163 yards and the two scores against the Browns. The duo was nearly unstoppable until Clowney was derailed by a broken collar bone against Washington.

I thought Ratliff outplayed Kellen Clemens in their battle for the No. 2 job behind Brett Favre last summer. Favre is gone, having retired, but another strong-armed quarterback may soon show up in the person of Josh Freeman, the Kansas State star who is on the Jets' radar with their 17th pick overall in next weekend's NFL draft.

Clowney, who missed nearly the entire season, told me he's ready to rumble as he competes for the starting job opposite Jerricho Cotchery and attempts to ease the Jets concerns at the position. The Jets are also eyeing a wide receiver at 17.

"I've been itching to get back out there and go against a couple of defensive backs," said the 6-0, 188-pound Clowney. "We have a guy like Darrelle Revis here. He went to the Pro Bowl last year. I think that's going to help all of us."

Clowney, a second-year pro from Virginia Tech, also plans to help himself. He says he and Ratliff have something special brewing.

"Yeah, we definitely had some chemistry going there," said Clowney. "And we kind of took that through practice during the year after I came back from my injury. Hopefully, we can do that same thing this year coming into training camp and the preseason."

Notes: RB Thomas Jones isn't expected to attend the voluntary minicamp. The Jets have a mandatory session in June. ... QB Erik Ainge has been absent from workouts in the past week for an undisclosed reason. I can't imagine that he's upset about anything. ... New coach Rex Ryan gets his first look at LB Vernon Gholston, albeit in shorts. ... Former Ravens Bart Scott, Jim Leonard and Marques Douglas will likely double as coaches as Ryan installs his defense.

Thomas Jones better stop being a little ***** and get to camp before Leon takes his money and his job.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Slow news day for Hutch, huh?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post

I'm eager to see if quarterback Brett Ratliff and wide receiver David Clowney can recapture the magic they had in the preseason a year ago.
    You gotta be kidding me.

The "magic" in preseason?

JetsFan2012
    It was one pass in a meaningless game. I enjoyed similar chemistry throwing an errant football to the kid who lives down the street.

Banned
    OUR ENTIRE FUTURE IS NOW BASED ON 2 COMPLETE ENIGMAS - THAT'S JUST GREAT!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You gotta be kidding me.

don't you beleive in magic??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You gotta be kidding me.

All CLOWNEY needs to do is gain a little more weight like he said and get from 188 to 198. He is going to be a weapon for the jets offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    All CLOWNEY needs to do is gain a little more weight like he said and get from 188 to 198. He is going to be a weapon for the jets offense.
    Marvin Harrison was 175 pounds..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Marvin Harrison was 175 pounds..
    So am I. What's the comparison? Harrison was a hell of a route runner.

Been a Jet fan since i was born..40 now!...Friggen relax people!..it was 1 preseason game fer cryin out loud!

All Pro
    ahhhh you know what, i'm going to blindly believe in these two and enjoy it. Its too damned deppressing to always be a pessimist. Lets all have a little blind faith, its not like a ridiculous stretch to see them making an impact. Odds are against them yes, but its not the craziest thing i've heard of

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ahhhh you know what, i'm going to blindly believe in these two and enjoy it. Its too damned deppressing to always be a pessimist. Lets all have a little blind faith, its not like a ridiculous stretch to see them making an impact. Odds are against them yes, but its not the craziest thing i've heard of
    There's no one out there that would love to see it happen more then me.....but cmon lets be realistic!....

Rookie
    Former Ravens Bart Scott, Jim Leonard and Marques Douglas will likely double as coaches as Ryan installs his defense.
    DL, LB, DB

1 in each level

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    It was one pass in a meaningless game. I enjoyed similar chemistry throwing an errant football to the kid who lives down the street.
    Ah me too, when we ran our play (stop and go), it was a guaranteed touchdown every time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by b4idiejets View Post
    There's no one out there that would love to see it happen more then me.....but cmon lets be realistic!....
    no, i'm going to pass on being realistic. I was realistic the entire Pennington era. I'm due for a good dose of naivity

All Pro
    I hope this article does not get out to the rest of the NFL. Are we really putting out articles about Clowny and Ratliff?

Geez.

Hall Of Fame
    say it with me people:

SUPERBOWL!!!!

All League
    Wow, Clowney and Ratliff talking about building chemistry and you guys are ****ing bashing them. Nice real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    OUR ENTIRE FUTURE IS NOW BASED ON 2 COMPLETE ENIGMAS - THAT'S JUST GREAT!
    Thats Why this franchise hasnt won SB in 40 years. When the excitement is over a Pass made by a PS QB to a PS WR in preseason against a bunch of scrubs. OH my its gotten that bad?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    What number you want for July - 5, 9, & 11 are taken?