Thread: Hutch: Rex Ryan and New York Jets have fun at first day of minicamp

All Pro

Hutch: Rex Ryan and New York Jets have fun at first day of minicamp

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...jets_have.html

Rex Ryan and New York Jets have fun at first day of minicamp

New Jets coach Rex Ryan was a big hit with his players Thursday, and an even bigger hit with the media on the first day of his first minicamp.

But Ryan also showed a tough side, calling out wide receiver Brad Smith, saying it's time for the fourth-year pro to "step up." Ryan continued, saying "This guy has all the talent in the world."

The underachieving Smith had 12 catches for 113 yards and no touchdowns last season.

For the most part, however, it was pure fun during the first of two practices. There was more chatter and a genuine good time being had by players in the one practice then I ever remembered during Eric Mangini's three-year rein. And no one had more fun than linebacker Bart Scott, who was talking smack from the opening whistle to the end of the session.

"That's why we brought him here," said Ryan.

Scott, a former Raven, described his behavior as being "swaggerlicious.'' Scott broke up several passes in one-on-one drills against running backs, including Leon Washington. Afterwards, Washington said that has never happened to him before in a drill and he owes Scott one.

"The only thing negatively that I saw out there is we had fun but we need to have more fun,'' said Ryan to the disbelief of everyone, including his team. "We're going to let our pads do our talking but we want to have fun. If a guy wants to talk and express himself, he has to back it up.''

Ryan, a master in front of the media, touched on several subjects:

On his first practice as a head coach: "All my life I've been an assistant coach and the first day I had no idea where to stand. I always felt chained to a chair (as a defensive coach/coordinator). As a head coach, you have to be everywhere."

On his defense: "This is a smart group. We're way ahead."

On RB Thomas Jones and QB Erik Ainge being no-shows: "I think with Thomas, you have to talk to him. ... He said Ainge has "personal'' issues he's dealing with."

On his quarterbacks: "Obviously, it's great to see (them) up close. But there's a lot of tape out there. Like I said, we have confidence in both of those guys (Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge). We feel good about our quarterback situation."

On WR David Clowney: "He was impressive today. Everybody knows about the great speed. I like his confidence. He loves to compete. He runs good routes. I'm excited about him."

On WR Brad Smith: "Brad Smith is one of the scariest athletes in the league. Not just on gadget plays. We (the Ravens) surely knew where he was on every play. He has to step up. This guy has all the talent in the world."

On moving training camp: "The facilities here are outstanding. (But) I've had a vision for this football team, any football team I ever coaches. ... It's about getting away from the comforts (of home) and putting guys in a camp situation and all they have is each other. I see it as a huge plus."

All League
    This is a refreshing difference. It's like night and day.

All Pro
    oh my god...i think it moved.

Wow, it's refreshing to hear our HC NOT use the words "consistency", "evaluate" or "progress" and all this other bull****.

The press conference is already up on NYJets.com by the way. Gonna check it out now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post

On WR David Clowney: "He was impressive today. Everybody knows about the great speed. I like his confidence. He loves to compete. He runs good routes. I'm excited about him."

All Pro
    Just watched the entire PC at the Jets site. Boy, does Rex's enthusiasm and personality shine through. It's like a polar opposite of a Mangini PC.

This guy will enthuse players, and make them want to play for him. Heck, he's making me want to play for him.

Hall Of Fame
    and all the while, he's thinking, "...gosh, we better draft a qb this year..."

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    oh my god...i think it moved.
    LOL between the article and your avatar, yep. It moved.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    The press conference is already up on NYJets.com by the way. Gonna check it out now.
    thanks for the heads up

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and all the while, he's thinking, "...gosh, we better draft a qb this year..."

Ratliff threw a pick 6 today...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin View Post

Ratliff threw a pick 6 today...
    WTF you smiling about. Regardless of your man crush for Freeman, you don't want to be rooting against a player who is ON the team vs. a guy who isn't here and may not be here.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    WTF you smiling about. Regardless of your man crush for Freeman, you don't want to be rooting against a player who is ON the team vs. a guy who isn't here and may not be here.
    I was nodding/smiling to what the other poster said, backing that up with a fact.

Relax p2w.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin View Post
    I was nodding/smiling to what the other poster said, backing that up with a fact.

Relax p2w.
    sorry, dassasin. I thought you were smiling about Rat's pick. and i know your love of freeman and I jumped to conclusion. MY BAD

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    sorry, dassasin. I thought you were smiling about Rat's pick. and i know your love of freeman and I jumped to conclusion. MY BAD
    All good, I get the misunderstanding - the love for Freeman is coupled with the love to have better depth at the QB position. Trust me, I want both of our QBs to succeed but unfortunately I don't think they will and Sanchez/Stafford will be long gone...right now drafting JF at 17 screams need/value to me, especially now that Ainge is MIA.

EDIT: from Mike Mayock's draft chat earlier today...

Austen, NY
    Do you think any of the QBs in this draft can have the success that Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco had last year? Also, do you think Josh Freeman is worth taking at #17 for the Jets or should they stay with one of the QBs on their roster and firm up the WR or RB position at #17?

Mike Mayock, NFL Network
    Austen, I keep reminding people that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were fifth-year seniors. The three premier QBs this year are all underclassmen. They don't have the physical or emotional maturity that those guys displayed. Regarding Freeman, I do believe he is worth the Jets taking at No. 17, but he is a fast-riser right now, and may not be there when they pick.
    Last edited by dassin; 04-16-2009 at 05:01 PM.

All Pro
    So refreshing to hear a coach just talk, be open so we (the fans) know what's going on..