Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With the 17th pick in the NFL Draft the Jets select Brandon Pettigrew OU

Practice Squad

With the 17th pick in the NFL Draft the Jets select Brandon Pettigrew OU

As much as I want Maclin or a wr I think the Jets are going to take Pettigrew unless the Bills at 11 grab him. My reasoning for this is:

1. The wr's after Maclin have been falling and unimpressive and the Jets can get one in the 2nd round.

2. Sanchez in moving up and won't be there. Too many are talking about Freeman as a 2nd round pick and I don't see them taking him at 17. I don't rule us trading out of this position to move down for Freeman.

3. Besides Keller (who is allergic to blocking) we do not have a tigth end on the roster. Kareem Brown is learning but can't catch and James Dearth is one but I don't think he's seen an offensive snap in two or three years.

So my conclusion is unless if Maclin is there we will be taking Pettigrew. I'm not opposed and think he would be a nice player for us but anytime we draft a TE in the 1st memories of Johnny Mitchell and Kyle Brady come back and I want to get sick to my stomach though Keller changed that.

Round 2 we will be looking at one of the wr's that fell or one of the rb's that are there. Shon Green would be nice.

Round 3 either wr or rb based on what we picked in the 2nd will dictate what we get in the 3rd. Won't be suprised in the 3rd if an OL or DL is taken. The first two will be spent on a WR, RB, and if Pettigrew is there at 1 without Maclin he will be our 1.

Hall Of Fame
    i'm actually beginning to see the logic and possibility of this pick. he would help both the running and passing games and allow keller to run all over the field. he'd also be a very good target for clemens. where value meets need. then the jets could use their next 2 picks on a DE and anyone else.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    As much as I want Maclin or a wr I think the Jets are going to take Pettigrew unless the Bills at 11 grab him. My reasoning for this is:

1. The wr's after Maclin have been falling and unimpressive and the Jets can get one in the 2nd round.

2. Sanchez in moving up and won't be there. Too many are talking about Freeman as a 2nd round pick and I don't see them taking him at 17. I don't rule us trading out of this position to move down for Freeman.

3. Besides Keller (who is allergic to blocking) we do not have a tigth end on the roster. Kareem Brown is learning but can't catch and James Dearth is one but I don't think he's seen an offensive snap in two or three years.

So my conclusion is unless if Maclin is there we will be taking Pettigrew. I'm not opposed and think he would be a nice player for us but anytime we draft a TE in the 1st memories of Johnny Mitchell and Kyle Brady come back and I want to get sick to my stomach though Keller changed that.

Round 2 we will be looking at one of the wr's that fell or one of the rb's that are there. Shon Green would be nice.

Round 3 either wr or rb based on what we picked in the 2nd will dictate what we get in the 3rd. Won't be suprised in the 3rd if an OL or DL is taken. The first two will be spent on a WR, RB, and if Pettigrew is there at 1 without Maclin he will be our 1.
    although i do agree that we are in desperate need of a blocking TE, i feel that our most valuable pick is not with a TE. im not saying theres not a chance of it happening, JMO, i think we gotta go WR.

All Pro
    Are we going to start this again?

On the draft forum we went through about 200 posts pitting pro-Pettigrews and con-Pettigrews against each other. Check it out....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

OSU not OU

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post

How could you omit the infamous 1st round bust known as Anthony Becht?

I really don't want to see a TE picked with #17. Please Tanny.... just say no.

...a run blocking TE is not hard to find, and is not worth a #17. I can see the logic for it, but at the end of the day, #17 is not going to a TE when we have much larger glaring needs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    ...a run blocking TE is not hard to find, and is not worth a #17. I can see the logic for it, but at the end of the day, #17 is not going to a TE when we have much larger glaring needs.
    There is no bigger hole than starting TE. We have 0 bodies we can fill that hole with... the other areas at least have a body we can stick in, i.e. Kellen or Brett at QB, Chansi or David Clowney at WR, etc... they might not be studs at their positions, but they are a body that can play that position. We have a long snapper and an h-back and no starting in-line dual threat run blocking pass catching TE. That is the only true hole we have where we can't just stick someone in at the moment because we have no one...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Keller was held out of mini camp due to a flu like illness - here's my question what happens if Keller is hurt?

I have to believe Rex Ryan looked at his TE crop at mini camp, saw former DL Kareem Brown, tryout Chris Conklin and long snapper James Dearth and said "Oh s--t."

Veteran

Arrow

I think if they wanted a TE who was a good to great blocker and who was a good pass catcher they would have held on to Chris Baker. It would not shock me if they take this kid but I would not be crazy about the pick.

All League
    If Ryan does propose to have a ball control, run first tyoe offense, then a 2 te set is almost mandatory.

All League
    Makes the most sense of all the scenario's out there right now...

Ryan said he want's to play smash mouth football on the Offensive side of the ball...
    I don't know of any two players in this draft that would help the Jets work towards this goal more than
    Pettigrew in rd 1 and Shonn Green in rd 2....

Also for those crying for a WR... there's a lot of depth in this draft... in rd's 3-4 there could still be a good one available.

Quote Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
    There is no bigger hole than starting TE. We have 0 bodies we can fill that hole with... the other areas at least have a body we can stick in, i.e. Kellen or Brett at QB, Chansi or David Clowney at WR, etc... they might not be studs at their positions, but they are a body that can play that position. We have a long snapper and an h-back and no starting in-line dual threat run blocking pass catching TE. That is the only true hole we have where we can't just stick someone in at the moment because we have no one...
    I don't disagree that we need a run blocking TE, I just believe that we can find a starting TE that can block well and still go out for a few passes (meaning he's not exactly a gifted pass catcher but can be serviceable) in the later rounds...no need to spend the #17 on him when we already do have a starting TE in Keller.

I'd say WR is still our number 1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Also for those crying for a WR... there's a lot of depth in this draft... in rd's 3-4 there could still be a good one available.
    Also for those crying for a run blocking TE... there's a lot of depth in this draft... in rd's 3-4 there could still be a good one available

draft

pettigrew will be gone by our pick, probably to Buffalo.

Veteran
    I wouldn't mind at all if we drafted Pettigrew.

Keller is essentially a muscular receiver. He is great in the slot role or at WR in certain sets.

Pettigrew is a good blocker, something we sorely need at TE. He is also a receiver of sorts and will help any young QB with the short-to-mid distance passing game, especially over the middle.

Robiskie can be had in the second round; Massaquoi possibly in the second or third.

What I'm actually for is trading down from 17 to pick up a late second/early third. This might keep us from getting Pettigrew, but this is a deep draft at positions that we need. Above all else, we need depth everywhere and 6 picks, including a 6th and 7th round pick (so four respectable picks) aren't really going to cut it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Keller was held out of mini camp due to a flu like illness - here's my question what happens if Keller is hurt?

I have to believe Rex Ryan looked at his TE crop at mini camp, saw former DL Kareem Brown, tryout Chris Conklin and long snapper James Dearth and said "Oh s--t."
    I'm just bafffled as to why they allowed themselves to end up in this situation by letting Baker walk (and to NE of all places).

We had a perfectly good blocking TE who also was a decent receiving threat and didn't cost huge money. Now, to replace him, we're talking about drafting a tight end in the first round for the second year in a row?

Someone please explain the rationale for this -- I must be missing something.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'm actually beginning to see the logic and possibility of this pick. he would help both the running and passing games and allow keller to run all over the field. he'd also be a very good target for clemens. where value meets need. then the jets could use their next 2 picks on a DE and anyone else.
    He would definitely fit the "all-weather offense" strategy that Ryan is promising.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Also for those crying for a run blocking TE... there's a lot of depth in this draft... in rd's 3-4 there could still be a good one available
    Yeah you make a good point... but salary structures and the length of rookie contracts means you can't afford to miss on Rd 1 picks anymore,
    also you need them to start contributing in their first year if possible.

As good of talents that could be available at WR... all of them have question marks vs. Pettigrew.

BTW - I'm not a huge Pettigrew fan either (he's another Kyle Brady)...
    I just could see the Jets taking him as he fills a need and can start contributing one day 1.

Undrafted Free Agent
    please god no, i dont wanna have to buy a new tv....****