Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sheldon Brown / Thomas Jones analogy

Veteran

The Sheldon Brown / Thomas Jones analogy

I thought there was an interesting and fair statement from the Eagles about their situation with Sheldon Brown. While Brown is younger than Jones I feel this opening paragraph could well speak volumes on behalf of the Jets with regard to Thomas Jones, particularly the last sentence. Here is the paragraph as published on the PFT site . . .

“It’s very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation. After thorough evaluation by himself and discussions with his family and agents, he chose to accept an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. It removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about. He has three years remaining on that contract and, after taking the signing bonus and his first two years of salary into account, we feel that Sheldon is being paid fairly. Focusing only on a player’s salary for a given year is not a valid analysis."

Jones's base salary for this year does NOT give a valid analysis of his situation. He got the signing bonus, he got the big money up front, 12 million guaranteed, now he has to continue to play or let him sit out the season. Some franchise has to make a statement.

Brown was fantastic for the Eagles last season, and didn't allow a TD until the NFC Championship game. He should be getting paid more, but he's the one who signed the contract in the first place. You can't expect a new deal when you are past 30 unless you're an absolutely phenomenal talent, like Darrell Green good.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Jones hasn't caused any trouble

Veteran
    If Brown gets renegotiated again why bother honor any contract.

Jones, not create any trouble ? I think missing the involuntary, voluntary mini camp is a statement in and of itself, words are not needed.

All Pro
    If Jones didn't give any money back for scoring one ****ing TD in 2007, then he shouldn't get paid more for the 15 TDs in 2008. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jones hasn't caused any trouble
    Flapped his gums about the QB last year and the only vet who has decided that voluntary means voluntary which we all know it doesn't.

All Pro
    I really don't care who the Jets draft at 17..I'd be happy with Josh Freeman..Let him sit for a year or 2..If we have the current franchise QB on the staff already then trade Freeman or Clemens/Ratliff in 2-3 years...A Wr at 17 will not make a huge impact..But a RB in rd 2 could be an immediate starter or contributor. Jones is getting old..A big bruiser RB in rd 2 is definately needed and could be a very solid contributor right away..

Veteran
    Exactly . . . I'm sure the Bears wish they had him back but let's face it the money spent on the Oline is the reason why Jones suddenly became wonder boy compared to his previous year's work. Those biceps are not sufficient recent to score another boatload of cash. Do the classy thing and retire like Barry Sanders instead of acting like a child. The Bronco's have the right philosophy on running backs. Spend the money on the oline and just plug and play multiple backs behind a stellar line.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Exactly . . . I'm sure the Bears wish they had him back but let's face it the money spent on the Oline is the reason why Jones suddenly became wonder boy compared to his previous year's work. Those biceps are not sufficient recent to score another boatload of cash. Do the classy thing and retire like Barry Sanders instead of acting like a child. The Bronco's have the right philosophy on running backs. Spend the money on the oline and just plug and play multiple backs behind a stellar line.
    The Bears are just fine with Forte...I'm sure we couldn't GIVE them Jones at this point.

I like this strategy btw.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

If Brown gets renegotiated again why bother honor any contract.
    Goes both ways. NFL teams don't have to honor contracts. They're not guaranteed, and they can cut players anytime they want.

Jones, not create any trouble ? I think missing the involuntary, voluntary mini camp is a statement in and of itself, words are not needed.
    Jones chose to not attend a voluntary mini-camp. Sheldon Brown publicly complained about his deal and has demanded a trade. That's a different situation, no?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Do the classy thing and retire

Veteran
    Yes Buzzsaw, but guaranteed money is guaranteed money, Jones has 12 million of that with this contract. Signing bonuses are not refundable so to say no contract is guaranteed does not represent the complete truth, signing bonuses are guaranteed and many contracts have a guaranteed percentage as part of the contract (as Jones has).

Hall Of Fame
    Goes both ways. NFL teams don't have to honor contracts. They're not guaranteed, and they can cut players anytime they want.

Come now you know better than that. When a team and a player set up the deal to pay the player a HUGE bonus he has pocketed that. He gets a big chunk of cash early for a smaller base salary later on. Thomas Jones has in essence had a large cash advance on his deal and now after pocketing the money is whimpering about a low salary. Screw him.

Jones chose to not attend a voluntary mini-camp. Sheldon Brown publicly complained about his deal and has demanded a trade.

Other than demanind a trade not much. It has been clear that he wants more money and is out of the mini camp as a result. But then again all the other vets are skipping mini camp as well....oh...wait....

That's a different situation, no?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Its really more of a comparison that it is an analogy.

Veteran
    Hah, I was waiting for someone to say that ! Analogies are often interpreted as comparisons . . . The FF2 peanut gallery comes through on cue . . .

Practice Squad
    I think once TC starts Jones will be there bc he has to know he has no leverage here and he has a reputation of being a team guy. His rep got a bit damaged bc of the Favre criticisms, but I still honestly feel he was just venting the consensus feeling of the locker room and how may of us agreed with him?

What is he gonna do sit out the yr, get cut, and then expect teams to pay out big bucks for a 32 yr old rb that hasn't played in a yr? Not happening

He is looking for a last big pay day, coming off a big year, and I don't really blame him. I think this will all blow over soon

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    I think once TC starts Jones will be there bc he has to know he has no leverage here and he has a reputation of being a team guy. His rep got a bit damaged bc of the Favre criticisms, but I still honestly feel he was just venting the consensus feeling of the locker room and how may of us agreed with him?

What is he gonna do sit out the yr, get cut, and then expect teams to pay out big bucks for a 32 yr old rb that hasn't played in a yr? Not happening

He is looking for a last big pay day, coming off a big year, and I don't really blame him. I think this will all blow over soon
    No, no, no. He has disrespected the Jets and their fans with his antics and distractions. He must be cut

Veteran
    Fair enough, your sarcasm might be warranted. However the true point is the thin edge of the wedge. Buzzsaw you were wrong about the NFL cutting players with zero loss (inferring zero compensation/they often get it up front).

Jones is wrong, clear and simple. He signed a contract, he took the money . . . a lot of money, now he wants more ? I'm sorry we are not going to the Super Bowl with Clemens this year so I say to Jones . . . sit your buttocks down on the season if you wish but no renegotiation on the contract, you were handsomely rewarded for two years so far : one bad year, one good year. A bad year many blame the o line, a good year now the o line does not get the credit, it's all you ? Please !

Hall Of Fame
    Jones needs this year as much or more than the Jets. He is playing for his last big contract, the 2009 season is his audition and the Jets are providing the stage for him.

The contract was structured the way it was structured AT HIS REQUEST by ensurung him starters money and essentially making him uncuttable for the first three years. So he has zero and I do mean ZERO to say about year three being the small salary year when when that is exactly what he asked for. He has already got the 5 million per year average compensation tucked into the bank paying interest.

The Jets should keep him on the roster but look to develop his replacement. If that means giving more time to someone else this year than TJ would like? Oh well, tough sh1t TJ. There goes the high end bids on your audition. Seriously he can take his 1 TD in 2007 and GF himself.

Hall Of Fame
    I mean seriously, could you imagine paying your rent three months in advance at the request of your landlord and then your landlord turns around and wants some more money in month two because, you know, his cash flow in month two is down from the previous month.