Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I fear history is repeating itself

All League

I fear history is repeating itself

When we released Pennington, I was so happy. We were finally rid of the most overrated player I have ever seen. I thought finally we can get someone who can actually play and not just pad some statistics and eventually choke when it matters like Chad did every time. Getting rid of the POS was one of the best days I have had as a Jet fan. We were free from mediocrity.

But now we trade up and get Sanchez and all I can see it the return of Pennington. Here's another charismatic, well spoken guy who is the image of the dashing QB you want especially after Namath. But as a player he is the same as Pennington, an overhyped weak armed possession QB with very limited experience, ill suited to play in the Meadowlands.

But he's the new golden boy "franchise" QB and no matter how much he sucks for the next 5 years none of it will be his fault, but all our victories will be because of him. And we will all have to suffer for years until we finally smart up and kick him to the curb.

I will root for him as hard as any Jets fan and truly want him to be the QB we have wanted for 40 years. But I just do not see it. All I see is a "face" for the franchise to sell PSLs and market the team, not the QB that will take us to the next level.

Later in the year when we are facing 9 in the box and Sanchez routinely completes 6 yard passes on 3rd and 8, just remember that the majority of you are getting what you wanted: The Return of Pennington, and that is just a really really bad thing. I truly truly hate this decision.

Hall Of Fame
    According to "experts" including Phil Simms, Sanchez has the arm to make all the necessary throws anywhere, including in the Northeast in Dec/Jan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

This couldn't be because you love Kellen Clemens and your feelings are hurt that we drafted a real QB right?

Sanchez has a stronger arm and is much more mobile in the pocket than Pennington was coming out of college. He compares to Pennington only in his attitude, demeanor, and in his worth ethic (i.e intangibles); other than that he's a different QB. He doesn't have Favre's howitzer for an arm, but that doesn't mean that he can't throw the deep ball or the out pattern or that he hasn't many times.

Give the guy a chance and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

your objections are duly noted, like you said, all we can do is cheer. You have the added advantage of saying "i told you so" in 5 years if your right or just blending in anonymously as a rabid jets fan if your wrong. Fact of the matter is, nobody has seen the kid play against an nfl defense, and for everyone saying he arm is too weak, i guaruntee it's all hearsay and none of those people went out to see him practice with a radar gun. Basically, chill and lets see what happens...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This couldn't be because you love Kellen Clemens and your feelings are hurt that we drafted a real QB right?
    No it has nothing to do with Clemens, and I root for the team not a particular player. I just think that with this particular player he is way over-hyped because of his image and playing for USC and for Carroll and because of that he is rated as a QB much much higher than he actually is. I think he has huge bust potential, and even if not a bust will just be another middle of the road game manager.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, Sanchez has a significantly arm then Chad does, he just doesn't have a bazooka on his shoulder. Really, I'd compare his arm to Clemens before I'd compare it to Chad.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    As long as Sanchez doesn't play with a constant fear of making a mistake like Chad, we will be fine.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    When we released Pennington, I was so happy. We were finally rid of the most overrated player I have ever seen. I thought finally we can get someone who can actually play and not just pad some statistics and eventually choke when it matters like Chad did every time. Getting rid of the POS was one of the best days I have had as a Jet fan. We were free from mediocrity.

But now we trade up and get Sanchez and all I can see it the return of Pennington. Here's another charismatic, well spoken guy who is the image of the dashing QB you want especially after Namath. But as a player he is the same as Pennington, an overhyped weak armed possession QB with very limited experience, ill suited to play in the Meadowlands.

But he's the new golden boy "franchise" QB and no matter how much he sucks for the next 5 years none of it will be his fault, but all our victories will be because of him. And we will all have to suffer for years until we finally smart up and kick him to the curb.

I will root for him as hard as any Jets fan and truly want him to be the QB we have wanted for 40 years. But I just do not see it. All I see is a "face" for the franchise to sell PSLs and market the team, not the QB that will take us to the next level.

Later in the year when we are facing 9 in the box and Sanchez routinely completes 6 yard passes on 3rd and 8, just remember that the majority of you are getting what you wanted: The Return of Pennington, and that is just a really really bad thing. I truly truly hate this decision.
    you haven't even seen him play up here yet.can you a least wait till is first series is completed.jeez.

Veteran
    sanchez is the real deal, deal with it

All League

I'm no fan of chad the last few years but he wasn't "pos" this NEGATIVE thread sucks as do you. dump please

All Pro

I think this is a depressingly good post actually.

CBNY is on record of saying that every Sanchez throw over 20 yards turns into "an adventure". He also says that this pick was made by Woody Johnson.

I want to let Sanchez's play on the field define my opinion. I haven't seen him other than highlights and the Rose Bowl. Having a lot in common with Chad Pennington is actually a very, very good thing, just hopefully not the arm. Hopefully he can make a deep out. I just want to see one 20 yard out to the far side and I'm 100% on board.

All Pro
    I hated that POS reference. Totally undeserved, as much as I felt Chad was ultimately a liability for us and we needed to move on. Not sure why all the hate for Sanchez... a major part of the diatribe smacked to me of envy, dislike of USC, and complete disregard of Sanchez's actual skill set and talent level. No one can say if he'll be worth the gamble, but the Jets got a lot more interesting with him in the mix. Let's talk a year from now and then we'll have something real to talk about. Until then, I'm thrilled we have a guy with enormous potential to be an elite QB...

All League

I just tracked this IP to Kellen's house.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I think this is a depressingly good post actually.

CBNY is on record of saying that every Sanchez throw over 20 yards turns into "an adventure". He also says that this pick was made by Woody Johnson.

I want to let Sanchez's play on the field define my opinion. I haven't seen him other than highlights and the Rose Bowl. Having a lot in common with Chad Pennington is actually a very, very good thing, just hopefully not the arm. Hopefully he can make a deep out. I just want to see one 20 yard out to the far side and I'm 100% on board.
    Well, let's put that in perspective at least so you can come on board. From NFLdraftscout:

GRADE: 7.11

Setup: Shows good balance and body control driving back from center, displaying the quick feet to get into position to make all of his throws. He has good upper- and lower-body mechanics, displays enough functional strength to break arm tackles on the move. He is a classic drop-back passer, most comfortable in a five-step drop. He does a nice job of scanning the field and looks comfortable setting up in the pocket and executing his follow-through. He shows good fluidity and quickness when he sets up and is a pretty athletic mover. Despite a lack of sustained speed to go long distances, he sets up quickly and is ready to throw in an instant. He shows the ability to reach his throwing point while maintaining body control and his balance allows him to stand tall in the pocket. GRADE: 7.2

Reading Defenses: Even though he had just one season as a starter, Sanchez proved to be very capable of handling the mental aspect of the game. Is a quick decision-maker and even if he makes a wrong move, he doesn't allow his mistakes to linger. Is a good field technician, knowing how to operate within the framework of the offense, which is predicated on him making quick reads and getting the ball out to his receivers even before his targets are able to break. It's rare to see him force the ball into a crowd, or hold on to it too long that it leads to a costly sack. He is good reading defenses and, when he shows patience, he can pick apart zones. When he forces some into coverage, it is because he holds the ball too long, but he is learning to look for his secondary targets. The thing that stands out is his ability to throw with touch and good timing. When flushed out of the pocket, he has enough agility to throw on the run, but will more often throw the ball away than force the pass into traffic. GRADE: 7.5

Release: Classic over-the-top, smooth delivery with a high release. Ready to throw when he hits release point. His overall throwing mechanics are very good and he shows good quickness and snap in his release. Because of his solid mechanics, he can launch the ball with accuracy, even when he does not have his feet set. With his compact, quick delivery over the top and a smooth motion, defenses have little time to settle under his throws, as he excels at hitting his receivers before they come out of their breaks. GRADE: 7.5

Arm Strength: Has good arm strength to make any throw, even when firing on the move or throwing off his back foot. Effectively varies the speed on his tosses, showing good zip firing into tight areas. His ball speed is excellent, as it comes off his fingertips easily and receivers don't have to make too many adjustments. Generates a lot of velocity and ball speed, throwing the ball across his body while displaying good hip flexibility. He has very good accuracy going long (50-of-241 pass completions were for 20 yards or longer in 2008) and a lively snap on the short tosses. He demonstrates very good arc on his long outs, and receivers settle over those throws to effortless secure over their outside shoulder. The thing he does best is generate velocity behind his long throws, with a very easy and smooth release. GRADE: 7.4

Accuracy: Sanchez not only completed 65.85% of his passes in 2008, 147-of-241 completions produced first downs. He has very good touch and velocity on short and intermediate throws. When playing the vertical game, he leads the receivers well, giving them the space they need to adjust. He is accurate at all levels both from the pocket and on the move. Throws a catchable ball with zip or touch, helping receivers be successful without breaking off routes. Gets good touch and has improved his trajectory on his deep throws, along with showing the ability to stick the ball in tight areas. GRADE: 7.5

Touch: Sanchez excels anticipating routes and knowing when receivers will come open. He has very good overall timing and knows when to throw the ball. He will not hesitate to tuck the ball and run when his receivers are covered. He knows when to take some heat off his short throws, resulting in better accuracy. His timing is good from the three- and five-step drops, but when he holds on to the ball a little too long, it will result in sacks. He gets good trajectory on his deep throws and displays the ability to anticipate and make adjustments at the line to challenge the soft areas on the field. GRADE: 7.3

Poise: Sanchez is cool under pressure and doesn't get happy feet. Almost never flustered, even when having to hold the ball and throw in the face of a fierce pass rush. Does a nice job setting his feet, knows he lacks the foot speed to tuck the ball and run with it, and stands tall in the pocket and will absorb the hit. He keeps his cool when forced to roll out and will throw the ball away rather than force a pass into a crowd. GRADE: 7.3

All League
    I have a feeling that this is going to be a running offense with dinks and dunks to make up additional yardage.

There was nothing wrong with Chad until his shoulder got torn up. Chad would have been a decent QB if he never got hurt. Sanchez physically is miles ahead of Chad in his prime. Nothing to worry about.

Veteran
    sanchez isnt noodle arm 2.0 by any means... dudes athletic and has a great arm... dude can really move

All Pro
    It was the right move for the Jets. I would have much rather had Cutler who you know can throw in any kind of wind conditions at the Meadowlands and would have made us a contender for the East title in 09, But at least the Jets did try and get him. My only concern with Sanchez would be his arm in late November and December throwing into the Meadowlands winds. Time will tell. I'm rooting for him!

[QUOTE=johnnysd;3107462]When we released Pennington, I was so happy. We were finally rid of the most overrated player I have ever seen. I thought finally we can get someone who can actually play and not just pad some statistics and eventually choke when it matters like Chad did every time. Getting rid of the POS was one of the best days I have had as a Jet fan. We were free from mediocrity.>>>>>

Classless pot shot....true he was not Payton Manning but he was far from a POS which is more than I can say for this first paragraph.