Thread: Debate: Was it a football decision or a business decision?

Banned

Debate: Was it a football decision or a business decision?

I'd just like to address what I see so many of you arguing over.

Some of you are saying that "Woody was behind the selection of Sanchez."

Others are saying he was not, and that it was a football decision.

I'd like to present you all with the obvious, in hopes that some of you see the big picture for what it really is.

The business that they are in, IS football.

Good football decisions, ARE good business decisions.

Good football is 9 times out of 10 traced back to having a good player at the most important position on the field. Quarterback.

Selecting a player that looks like he could be a good (or better) Quarterback is a good football decision, AND a good business decision.

Its funny how SO many players talk all the time about how football is a business, but SO many fans just don't get it.

It is ENTIRELY possible that one decisions: drafting a QB — can be both a good football and business decision, if said QB matriculates into a productive and successful player at the NFL level.

That brings me to my next point...

The debate over whether or not Sanchez will be just like Chad.

Chad, when healthy took this team to the playoffs. Period.

These comparisons are NOT a terrible thing.

Mark gives us a QB with Chad's leadership, intelligence and intangibles (if these all translate to his NFL game).

In addition, he brings greater arm strength. Which was the #1 knock on Chad.

... an experience WINNING in big games, which was the #2 knock on Chad.

That was it. That was the only issue most, if not all fans had with Chad.

Arm strength.

Can't win big games.

Mark Sanchez has exhibited that he has the same skill set as Chad, PLUS he's got a better arm and wins big games.

The way I look at this?

Mark Sanchez as the QB for the NY Jets, is a great football decisions and a great business decision.

And Jets fans always need something to piss and whine about.

All Pro
    This is an issue

The Jets had one of the most unsettled if not worst QB situations in all of the NFL and they draft a quality QB from a winning program and it is an issue as to why????

Not knocking your thread, but to those who can't see what is happening GOOD GRIEF!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Debate: Was it a football decision or a business decision?
    Football is a business. Thus, it is both. And if you want to succeed in the business you need to succeed at football. Mark Sanchez will help us succeed at football.

"That's how you debate!"

I agree with your post with one exception. The decision MAY be both a good business and football move.

Drafting a QB, or any player for that matter is a lot like claiming a racehorse. The things that can go wrong far outweigh the things that can go right.

Believe me I know

JetsInsider.com Legend
    other advantages Sanchez has over Chad is that Sanchez is good under pressure... can throw on the run, can throw off balance, has a quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    other advantages Sanchez has over Chad is that Sanchez is good under pressure... can throw on the run, can throw off balance, has a quick release.
    At the college level This is the NFL were the play.............................................. ........ for pay

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Football is a business. Thus, it is both. And if you want to succeed in the business you need to succeed at football. Mark Sanchez will help us succeed at football.

"That's how you debate!"
    Thus, is my point.

It appears only the rational posters care to acknowledge my thoughts. The crazy never happy fans will probably continue to skulk around in the threads where both of these issues are being argued over by experts in making up facts as they see fit.

Oh, I heart teh interwebz.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    And hopefully that he plays like he owns male genitalia...