Thread: Sanchez vs. Leinhart

Sanchez vs. Leinhart

One thing I like about Sanchez vs. Leinhart, is that he doesn't wander all over the field like Leinhart when the pocket starts to collapse, to buy time. Instead, he'll adjust his position with his feet and then make a quick decision and let it go, while staying near the center of the field. Leinhart seemed to have a tendency to hang on the ball for a while and scramble to get out of trouble before releasing the ball (probably why he got hurt). Sanchez seems better suited to be a pro style QB.

All Pro
    I can't claim to be an expert, but it appears to me that footwork and pocket presence are two of Sanchez's greatest strengths.

All League
    Still waiting for "Sanchez vs. Godzilla" thread.

Godzilla only beat Japan. Granted, he did it over and over again but he never had to go against the Tampa Two.

Veteran
    admit to being anti-Sanchez upon him being selected. Didn't really see him play at USC, and generalized him as Leinhart part 2 (system QB with excellent supporting cast).

however, after seeing his highlights, he looked like Steve Young-lite. His reactions under pressure, and general athletic ability impressed me the most.

not to mention, the endorsement of reputable people like Mike Mayock (he knows his sh*t)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Godzilla only beat Japan. Granted, he did it over and over again but he never had to go against the Tampa Two.
    Plus Godzilla has very short arms so he can't throw the long ball.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Plus Godzilla has very short arms so he can't throw the long ball.
    I think TX would disagree, given his statement about how throwing the long ball has nothing to do with arm strength. Godzilla's underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by vin777b View Post
    admit to being anti-Sanchez upon him being selected. Didn't really see him play at USC, and generalized him as Leinhart part 2 (system QB with excellent supporting cast).

however, after seeing his highlights, he looked like Steve Young-lite. His reactions under pressure, and general athletic ability impressed me the most.

not to mention, the endorsement of reputable people like Mike Mayock (he knows his sh*t)
    When sanchez does get to play, I hope he uses discretion about when to run (if at all) and/or uses the slide. Would much rather see him stay healthy than get a meaningless first down and separate his shoulder.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NEJetFromLI View Post
    I think TX would disagree, given his statement about how throwing the long ball has nothing to do with arm strength. Godzilla's underrated.
    Can't spell T-Rex without TX. He's biased. Probably a second cousin.

All League
    When sanchez does get to play, I hope he uses discretion about when to run (if at all) and/or uses the slide. Would much rather see him stay healthy than get a meaningless first down and separate his shoulder.
    Holly **** did the guy ever do anything right. The guy played with heart and gave it his all play in and play out. If he went into a slide you would say that he is a ***** and didnt get the first down.

Enough already.

All League
    One thing I like about Sanchez vs. Leinhart, is that he doesn't wander all over the field like Leinhart when the pocket starts to collapse, to buy time. Instead, he'll adjust his position with his feet and then make a quick decision and let it go, while staying near the center of the field. Leinhart seemed to have a tendency to hang on the ball for a while and scramble to get out of trouble before releasing the ball (probably why he got hurt). Sanchez seems better suited to be a pro style QB.
    I think the Sanchez/Pennington threads are flat-out STUPID, as I'd gladly take a Pennington clone (with a stronger arm).

This comparison intrigues me MUCH more, though not necessarily from a physical standpoint.

I don't care how much "potential" Leinart has, he made it quite clear very early that he enjoyed the "high-life" a little too much.

Sanchez appears to be a hard worker who will focus and succeed in Schotty's somewhat complicated schemes.

But if GJH comes up with another "I know something that I don't want to say but has really pissed me off . . ." threads (like he did last year with Gholston), let's just say my opinion of this deal do a total 180

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Holly **** did the guy ever do anything right. The guy played with heart and gave it his all play in and play out. If he went into a slide you would say that he is a ***** and didnt get the first down.

Enough already.
    I'm just saying in the pros it seems like QB's are more prone to injury than in college, when they run a lot and try to do an impression of a RB/FB. I'm not saying he should use the slide all the time, just want him to use good judgment and not get himself killed. We need him upright and throwing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I think the Sanchez/Pennington threads are flat-out STUPID, as I'd gladly take a Pennington clone (with a stronger arm).

This comparison intrigues me MUCH more, though not necessarily from a physical standpoint.
    I remember watching some of the Leinhart highlights before that year's draft and thinking how I liked the fact that he seemed to buy time. Leinhart seemed to have good instincts as far as getting away from a defender, but I'm wondering if he held on to the ball due to indecision. I haven't seen much of him in the pros. I like the fact (as an example), that Schotty's talking about running 3 step drops and slants with Sanchez (quick hitters) as that was one of his bread and butter plays with USC (didn't see that in the highlights though).

Veteran
    Don't forget at USC he practiced against a pro-style defense (that had 11 players drafted) every day in practice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Untrue...Godzilla defeated the following:

King Ghidorah
    Mothra
    Spacegodzilla
    A really big lobster
    A glob of pollution in a hippie-like movie
    Gigan
    More

Sanchez couldn't even beat Brandon Pettigrew's team.

I hate Matt Leinart, but he'll probably be a better pro than I have or will ever give him credit for.

Hall Of Fame
    notice how sanchez has marketed himself as the opposite of matt leinart? thus far he's talked about how he can't wait to get to the jets facility to start working, wants to win the starting job, is just one of the guys, has blue collar mentality. it may all be true, but i get the feeling he's trying to draw early comparisons to palmer than leinart wrt his approach to the game. and who can blame him? of course, what he can't say is that he clearly has a stronger arm than leinart.

Veteran
    while you cannot have a weak arm, as a QB. Cannon arms are overrated. Joe Montana did not have a very strong arm.

you say Montana wouldn't be the same QB in this age? Drew Brees says otherwise. A stellar college QB, overlooked my many scouts for his "weak arm"

All League
    In TX's world, that depends on if he plays for the Jets or the Patriots.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Untrue...Godzilla defeated the following:

King Ghidorah
    Mothra
    Spacegodzilla
    A really big lobster
    A glob of pollution in a hippie-like movie
    Gigan
    More

Sanchez couldn't even beat Brandon Pettigrew's team.

I hate Matt Leinart, but he'll probably be a better pro than I have or will ever give him credit for.

Godzilla rushed for over 300 yards that day but couldn't get much passing done against the high winds from Mothra's wings. Great game planning.