Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get excited about CRAZY Matt Slauson!

Veteran

Get excited about CRAZY Matt Slauson!

http://www.legendofcecilioguante.com...-steve_27.html

Matt Slauson Frightens Me...In a Good, Steve Lattimer Kinda Way

Like most Jets fans, my initial draft attention focused mostly on that Sanchez character and my new main man, Mr. Shonn Greene. Lest we not forget football fans that the J-E-T-S had one more pick in their thin-in-the-selection-dept. 2009 NFL Draft. With the #193 pick, the New York Jets selected Steve Lattimer, defensive end, ECU...

Just kidding...the green-and-white added 6-6, 315-pound former Nebraska Cornhuskers guard Matt Slauson, who only conjures up images of the famed face-painting animal from The Program.

I don't know a whole lot about Slauson other than what the "experts" say about his potential to play multiple O-line positions and the fact he was All Big 12 for three years. Besides that, I'm pretty reliant on photos. And all I can say is that, from the looks of him, I am already a big Matt Slauson fan.

Not that painting your face makes you good or anything, but it does up the chances that you're perhaps just a wee bit...off -- which is a trait that I love in my team's offensive lineman (maybe outside of the center position). Not to abuse the cliche, but a good ole-fashioned mean streak never did hurt those dudes in the trenches. I like the way them fellas play, the Kyle Turley types who seem like decent human beings off the field but turn into somewhat maniacal road graters on it.

Sure, Slauson may turn out to be a nice college player who can't make his way onto an NFL roster, but we're rooting for him. I mean, when was the last time you tore your pectoral muscle during the bench press portion of the combine and then "gutted it out?" Are you f-in kidding me? With that to contemplate, a photographic tribute to one of the newest Jets. My personal favorite is the one where he's sprinting down the field after his back sans helmet looking ready to decapitate someone. Fanstastic.

All League

Banned
    I think this guys a sleeper, but a sleeper in a "very good backup" kind of way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    this is gonna sound irrational but i don't favor players that use excessive face paint... it's not something that the best at the position do... I can't think of one elite NFL player who went heavy on the face paint at the college level.. Chris Long maybe?

in the end it's a latimer-move - a gimmick - and if you remember the latimer character he was always trying really hard to seem tough and crazy... and deep down he was just a skinny loser.

what any of this has to do with slauson I don't know... he definately has a good chance to take that 8th OL spot, whether he does anything with it, I doubt it.

Veteran
    He's kinda scary without it as well.

Undrafted Free Agent
    guy is a leader, he's a good pick.

Rookie
    Let's hope hope, Matt Matt becomes a great great offensive guard guard...
    Last edited by The Green Dude; 04-29-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Usually I don't like the idea of coaches lobbying for a certain pick but as we saw from our offensive line's improvement last year, Bill Callahan knows his sh*t, and he recruited Slausen when he was the HC of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Slausen is a stiff athlete and not as agile as you'd prefer, but that's what you usually get with 6th round linemen. Hopefully Callahan can get this guy to be an NFL ready guard within a few years, then we can plug him in on the left side when Faneca retires or gets cut.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this is gonna sound irrational but i don't favor players that use excessive face paint... it's not something that the best at the position do... I can't think of one elite NFL player who went heavy on the face paint at the college level.. Chris Long maybe?

in the end it's a latimer-move - a gimmick - and if you remember the latimer character he was always trying really hard to seem tough and crazy... and deep down he was just a skinny loser.

what any of this has to do with slauson I don't know... he definately has a good chance to take that 8th OL spot, whether he does anything with it, I doubt it.
    College level - I'm not sure - but John Randle painted it up. He could play, no doubt about that.

All League

John Randel was'nt to shabby..

All League
    I have a feeling Slauson may be doing some extra laps around the field during camp

http://www.ktiv.com/Global/story.asp...nav=menu1474_4

After ripping Callahan last fall, Jets' draftee Slauson says he's glad to play for old coach
    Associated Press - April 26, 2009 9:15 PM ET

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Nebraska's Matt Slauson is changing his tune about former coach Bill Callahan after finding out that the New York Jets drafted him.

Callahan is now assistant head coach in charge of the Jets' offensive line.

Slauson lambasted the Callahan's Nebraska regime, telling reporters last fall that he felt as if he were a "side of beef" who was "used and abused" in a football-as-a-business culture that took root in Lincoln.

Reminded of those comments today, Slauson said he didn't want to get into that.

Slauson said he owes a debt of gratitude to Callahan for bringing him to Nebraska just before fall camp started in 2005.

Slauson says he has always believed Callahan was 1 of the best offensive line coaches in football.

He said he couldn't be more happy to play for Callahan again.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    We can always use a few madmen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He seems like a character and its easy to root for him because of it....

DIdnt know about the torn pectoral at the combine.....that seems like it could be pesky injury that could follow him and slow him down....

We certainly could use the depth, especially with only three pick-ups during the draft.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Randle wasn't shabby but he was am undersized UDFA... it's a gimmick... whether it works or not I dont know but it makes me nervous... I like guys who don't need gimmicks.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    i heard this guy started playing football because everyone used to make fun of him and has a really bad stutter...so he thought he can suit up and hit all the jocks that were ragging on him...guess hes laughing now

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by LAJET View Post
    http://www.legendofcecilioguante.com...-steve_27.html

Matt Slauson Frightens Me...In a Good, Steve Lattimer Kinda Way

Like most Jets fans, my initial draft attention focused mostly on that Sanchez character and my new main man, Mr. Shonn Greene. Lest we not forget football fans that the J-E-T-S had one more pick in their thin-in-the-selection-dept. 2009 NFL Draft. With the #193 pick, the New York Jets selected Steve Lattimer, defensive end, ECU...

Just kidding...the green-and-white added 6-6, 315-pound former Nebraska Cornhuskers guard Matt Slauson, who only conjures up images of the famed face-painting animal from The Program.

I don't know a whole lot about Slauson other than what the "experts" say about his potential to play multiple O-line positions and the fact he was All Big 12 for three years. Besides that, I'm pretty reliant on photos. And all I can say is that, from the looks of him, I am already a big Matt Slauson fan.

Not that painting your face makes you good or anything, but it does up the chances that you're perhaps just a wee bit...off -- which is a trait that I love in my team's offensive lineman (maybe outside of the center position). Not to abuse the cliche, but a good ole-fashioned mean streak never did hurt those dudes in the trenches. I like the way them fellas play, the Kyle Turley types who seem like decent human beings off the field but turn into somewhat maniacal road graters on it.

Sure, Slauson may turn out to be a nice college player who can't make his way onto an NFL roster, but we're rooting for him. I mean, when was the last time you tore your pectoral muscle during the bench press portion of the combine and then "gutted it out?" Are you f-in kidding me? With that to contemplate, a photographic tribute to one of the newest Jets. My personal favorite is the one where he's sprinting down the field after his back sans helmet looking ready to decapitate someone. Fanstastic.

Ditto, I love this guy just by the way he looks. The meaner, the better and Callahan knows this guy so we didn't just take a flier on him.

I say he makes the team

Undrafted Free Agent

Who was thet crazy D-Lineman for the Vikings? Reminds me of him and he was pretty good.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Maybe, just maybe, this isn't really face paint at all. Maybe this guy has a physiological anomaly that occurs everytime he puts on a football uniform?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

good player if he gets his fat azz in shape..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    good player if he gets his fat azz in shape..
    Did he tear his pec at the combine? If he did, is that why his azz isn't in shape? Say he does get his azz in shape could he also play RT in addition to G?

Thanks, CBNY