Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Our Head coach, Rex Ryan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Talking About Our Head coach, Rex Ryan.

Anybody catch the Rex Ryan interview last night oin NFL network??

Rex expects to win and WIN BIG - THIS YEAR!!!

The interviewer said how big??

Rex said I expect to win the superbowl this year, that's our goal.

This is a man that makes no excuses and has huge expectations for this team.

I have been a die-hard Jets fan since 1982. Rex Ryan exudes a confidence that I have never seen in any previous H/C's that the Jets have ever had and I believe it will translate onto the field.

8-8, 9-7 this year I've heard some here say??? I think some of you are in for a real surprise this season.

They asked Rex Ryan if we were trying to become like Baltimore's defense??

Rex said I think Baltimore's defense is MY Defense, I was there for 10 years and made that defense into what it was!!

I can't wait to watch this man coach this year.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Veteran
    Did you expect him to say the team is going to be "just average." or "hardly competitive."

He'd better exude confidence. That's what he's paid to do.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Rex said I think Baltimore's defense is MY Defense, I was there for 10 years and made that defense into what it was!!
    This is exactly what I was thinking the other day while I argued with a Phins fan. He gave the same old "Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis" schpeel and I replied that Rex Ryan was really the genius behind the scenes and has been the main consistent force in Ravens football since 1999. I am very interested to see how the Ravens do without him this season.

He is easily the greatest pick-up of the off-season, for without him we wouldn't have Scott (remember that nightmarish FA battle with the Ravens), Jim Leonhard (would've went with the Broncos for more $$), Marques Douglas (a Ryan guy that he sought out to sign who is now crucial depth at DE) or Mark Sanchez (Rex targeted him from the get-go).

The defense he will implement will make NY the home of the most aggressive and ferocious defenses in their respective conferences.

My favorite thing above all, is that he tells his players to "PLAY LIKE A JET" --I f'n love that, instilling accountability, expectations and philosophy the right way w/ team focus.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Did you expect him to say the team is going to be "just average." or "hardly competitive."

He'd better exude confidence. That's what he's paid to do.
    Did you ever hear Parcells, Herm, Al Groh, Pete Carroll, Rich Kotite or Eric Mangini say the Jets were going to win the superbowl during ANY press conference, let alone during their first season as a head coach??

Not in a million years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Thanks for the recap. Ryan sure says all the right things. I have no clue how many games we'll win but I'm really excited about the defense. If we go down, we'll at least go down swinging.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Thanks for the recap. Ryan sure says all the right things. I have no clue how many games we'll win but I'm really excited about the defense. If we go down, we'll at least go down swinging.
    I really believe we are going to see a Fierce Jets team, the likes of which we have not seen in our generation.

Hall Of Fame
    I really believe we are going to see a Fierce Jets team, the likes of which we have not seen in our generation.
    I agree with you. Ryan makes me feel very confident in our Jets! We know that he is a great coach from his body of work. No OJT for our new HC. I expect him to win big this year too!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Following is the interview:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia

Banned
    Man I hope he was the genius behind Baltimore's D. I'm a little skeptical of it, but thats just how I am.

He does say all the right things...but when you're the new Jets coach thats pretty f*ckin easy to do...alot of people rode Mangini too...now most think he did nothing for this team in 3 years (which I still find laughable).

That said, I like our coordinators a whole lot...and the first job of a good HC is to get himself some good coordinators.

He does seem to fit like a glove for this franchise...I just am not sure if its because he's what the D needs to hit the next level or if it's because this franchise knows how to bullsh*t.

Banned
    Dude's fat.

He'll be lucky to live three seasons, let alone win anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Dude's fat.

He'll be lucky to live three seasons, let alone win anything.
    your talent is wasted on the Pfailin Sthrip.

teh Hamper beckons.

All League

it certainly sounds like it my friend..... i definitly think we will have a top ten{in the nfl} defense this year..... but for some reason i still believe that we wont win more than 9 games..... for all our sakes i hope i am wrong...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    your talent is wasted on the Pfailin Sthrip.

teh Hamper beckons.
    Fat people are insecure.

They eat to try to comfort themselves.

I would never do anything a fat person tells me to do. Especially a fat coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Did you ever hear Parcells, Herm, Al Groh, Pete Carroll, Rich Kotite or Eric Mangini say the Jets were going to win the superbowl during ANY press conference, let alone during their first season as a head coach??

Not in a million years.
    ARod, a question for you.

Who said the following and when?

"You've got a winner in town,"

See below for the answer. And for the record I like Rex but let's wait to see if he can be A HEAD COACH before proclaiming him the next Bill Parcells.

As you see below it's easy to say great, warm and fuzzy things during ANY press conference.

Oh--Buddy had a 2 year record as HC in AZ of 12-20 and no playoff appearances before being fired.

BUDDY RYAN LEADS THE CARDINALS' JUGGER-NOT

By Tom Fitzpatrick
    Published on September 15, 1994

"You've got a winner in town," Buddy Ryan told us that fine day.

This was a few minutes after Ryan signed that fat contract with Bill Bidwill, the Cardinals owner.

Buddy Ryan reminds me of Jackie Gleason playing Ralph Kramden. All Ryan needs on the sidelines is one of Kramden's old bus-driver uniforms.

Ryan's got a bigger and even more boastful mouth than Gleason, the proverbial Great One, had, and this time, it has placed him in a predicament he may not emerge from intact.

"We're going to be in the playoffs," Ryan assured one and all. Oh, sure. Where are they headed now after two performances that have revealed this is an Arizona Cardinals team without an offense?

If Ryan ends up getting the boot, he will have no one to blame but himself.

Once he got the job, he fell in love with his own legend. All you have to do to win in the National Football League is to have Buddy Ryan standing on the sidelines.

Using that as a yardstick, it's easy to understand what happened next. Ryan was like a man who had just won the lottery. He was not only the coach but also the general manager. He had the power to hire and fire.

So Ryan went on a hunt to look up all his old friends from the Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles and give them fat contracts. If Buddy was flush, he was going to take care of his old players first.

He hired them for much more than they were worth, and at the same time, he cut the salaries of players who were already on the roster.

"It's my way or the highway," Buddy said.
    A self-declared defensive genius, Buddy seemingly forgot there would be times when the Cardinals had the ball and would be obliged to move it forward.

He has no offensive line.
    Oh, yes, there are players who suit up every week and go out onto the field and get themselves down into a three-point stance.

But they don't block anyone. They don't protect the quarterback. This is the most inept, cowardly offensive line to appear in the National Football League in 30 years.

The last time I remember an offensive line that remotely approached this one for uselessness was the Chicago Bears' in the 1960s.

One time, the players lined up for a punt and the Bears' center snapped the ball high in the air over his own head and a defensive player came across the line, caught the ball and ran for a touchdown.

In Steve Beuerlein, Ryan has a quarterback who grows more timid with every snap. I don't blame him. There comes a time when self-preservation becomes the most important thing.

The way things are going, Beuerlein must figure that Buddy will be gone by next year, replaced by someone who will hire a few guards and tackles willing to butt heads.

Ryan has backed up Beuerlein with Jim McMahon, who has reached a stage in his career at which he should limit his physical activities to an occasional racquetball game.

It is better not to contemplate what it will be like if Ryan ever sends Jay Schroeder, his third-string quarterback, on the field.

And here's a big question: Where on Earth is chubby little Billy Bidwill these days?

Now that Bidwill has himself on the payroll for $1 million per year, perhaps he feels there's no need to hang around other than to watch the cash register.

Buddy's mouth has temporarily filled Sun Devil Stadium. So what else should concern Bidwill?

After all, no one supposes the Cardinals are going to lose every game. Do they?

But then no one supposed they would lose to both the Los Angeles Rams and the New York Giants right out of the opening gate, either.

This week, they go to Cleveland to face the Browns. The odds say they will leave that town with an 0-3 record.

If they come back in that shape, perhaps the local sportswriters will find the gumption to ask Buddy the one big question everyone seems to be avoiding:

In a league in which you can never have too many skilled coaches, why did Ryan hire his own two sons as assistant coaches?

It was Buddy who told us we had a winner in town.
    Buddy told us that it was his way or the highway. Unless he starts winning soon, that same highway will be sending its siren song to Buddy.

Let's see if the next Cardinals coach wants to hire Buddy's two sons as assistant coaches.

Watching Buddy on the sidelines with that ridiculous hat, I keep thinking of Gleason shouting at his wife in their Brooklyn kitchen: "One of these days, Alice, the moon!

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1994-...ls-jugger-not/

Veteran

Not in a million years.
    Show me an American Football Coach who's goal isn't to win the Superbowl and I'll show you a guy who's in need of a job.

C'mon.

All Pro
    IMHO,a good quality HC is only as good as the support he gets from his owner and GM.

What is Ryan today if woody doesn't spend the money on those free agents and Mr T decides not to make the trade for Sanchez leaving us with Clemens and Ratliff as our QBs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Fat people are insecure.

They eat to try to comfort themselves.

I would never do anything a fat person tells me to do. Especially a fat coach.
    This is a good point.

All Pro

Not in a million years.
    Actually, yes. Parcells did.
    After finishing 1-15 Parcells took over. There was an interaction with Keyshawn where Keyshawn said he was excited about Parcells coming and maybe winning some games. Parcells said "Son, I did not come here to win a few games, I came here to win championships".

Hall Of Fame
    The meaning of the name Rex is "King". (Latin orgin).

The meaning of the name Ryan is "Little King" or "King". (Irish/Gaelic origin).

So we have royal royalty for our new head coach. 'Nuff said

JetsInsider.com Legend

8-8, 9-7 this year I've heard some here say??? I think some of you are in for a real surprise this season.
    Couldn't agree more, another 4-12 season could be just around the corner.