Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeler Harrison’s pit bull attacks young son

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Steeler Harrison’s pit bull attacks young son

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...svc=7&cxcat=21

Pittsburgh — A pit bull owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has reportedly attacked the player’s young son.

A spokesman for the Super Bowl champions told The Associated Press this is a personal matter for Harrison and the club won’t comment further.

An unidentified neighbor told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette one of the star player’s three dogs got loose Thursday and attacked the boy, James III. His age was not immediately available.

The newspaper and WTAE-TV say the boy was taken to UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. The hospital declined comment. The newspaper says a second person was hurt.

Harrison is the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He declined to join the Steelers on a White House visit Thursday.

Hall Of Fame
    Blame Michael Vick.

Veteran
    You see what happens when you disrespect the White House?

Seriously, I hope is kid is okay. Pit Bulls scare the crap out of me for this very reason. They need to be very well trained.

what are you doing with a dog around children that if it "gets loose" it is gonna maul your kid?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    You see what happens when you disrespect the White House?

Seriously, I hope is kid is okay. Pit Bulls scare the crap out of me for this very reason. They need to be very well trained.
    My dog is great, he doesn't bark. Good thing or a bad thing? Idk lol.. well he's a mix..

I feel very sorry for his son. My prayers are with him. Two Pit bulls recently killed our cat and it was a horrific sight. I still have nigtmares. IMO these dogs should be outlawed. I'm sure there are many well behaved, lovely Pit Bulls, but they have an in-bred propensity for agrression and are just capable of inflicting way too much damage, especially on a child.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    My dog is great, he doesn't bark. Good thing or a bad thing? Idk lol.. well he's a mix..
    If he is part Pit Bull, that is a bad thing. Pit Bulls do not bark or growl to "warn" of an attack. They just attack.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I feel very sorry for his son. My prayers are with him. Two Pit bulls recently killed our cat and it was a horrific sight. I still have nigtmares. IMO these dogs should be outlawed. I'm sure there are many well behaved, lovely Pit Bulls, but they have an in-bred propensity for agrression and are just capable of inflicting way too much damage, especially on a child.
    I am sorry for the loss of your cat, as i have cats and a pit/mix...but saying these dogs should be outlawed is crazy...IF trained properly they are the one of the best dogs you can have just because they have a bad name because of a few douchebags doesnt mean it should encompass the entire breeed IMO...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If he is part Pit Bull, that is a bad thing. Pit Bulls do not bark or growl to "warn" of an attack. They just attack.
    dude.. please. Just stop. Any dog can hurt a child.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I have owned the breed. And Pit Bulls can switch. Even if raised correctly, then can switch, it's in there blood. Im not saying outlaw the breed or anything. But owning this breed definately increases the chances of an attack.

How often do you pick up the paper and read that a standard poodle just mauled a person or animal? Now granted, any dog can bite or fight. But owning a Pit increases the odds for sure. Pitts are fighters and are an extremely aggressive breed.

Like I said.. You can raise Pit's to be tame, but in many cases they can switch and attack more then any other breed.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    This is true but he odds differ from breed to breed.

And reading this story "the dogs got loose", does that mean they were in a pen? Heck any dog can get aggressive if they are not properly introduced into the family. Dogs are pack animals by nature, to exclude them from the "family pack" is a crime IMHO. In other words, dogs chained to a doghouse out in the backyard should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I have owned the breed. And Pit Bulls can switch. Even if raised correctly, then can switch, it's in there blood. Im not saying outlaw the breed or anything. But owning this breed definately increases the chances of an attack.

How often do you pick up the paper and read that a standard poodle just mauled a person or animal? Now granted, any dog can bite or fight. But owning a Pit increases the odds for sure. Pitts are fighters and are an extremely aggressive breed.

Like I said.. You can raise Pit's to be tame, but in many cases they can switch and attack more then any other breed.

I've had a Brindle for two years... No issues at all and got it at 8 weeks...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    dogs chained to a doghouse out in the backyard should be outlawed.
    Many kids would then lose their father.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®

My sister had a pit bull and a pomeranian. they used to play together. they were together for 2 years and one day when my sister came home, the pit bull had killed the pomeranian.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    I am sorry for the loss of your cat, as i have cats and a pit/mix...but saying these dogs should be outlawed is crazy...IF trained properly they are the one of the best dogs you can have just because they have a bad name because of a few douchebags doesnt mean it should encompass the entire breeed IMO...

Just my opinion. I'm sure your dog is great, but should we make driving under the influence of alcohol legal because the vast majority of people who are over the legal limit still are able to drive their vehicle without having an accident? No. We outlaw DUI because it's not worth the risk. I'm not alone in this beleif, many cities have passed laws precluding people from owning Pit Bulls or forcing them to register them and purchase insurance to cover in the event of an attack.

In one study sponsored by the US Governement Centers For Disease Control it was reported that 32% of all dog related killings of human beings in the United States are caused by Pit Bulls attacks, yet Pit Bulls constitute only 2% of all dogs. 70% of those mauling deaths were of children.

According this large federal government study conducted over a 20 year period the Centers for Disease Control concluded that Attacks by pit bulls accounted for one third of the fatal dog attacks in the United States. This study also cited the disproportionate threat these dogs pose to children. Children, according to the study, are the most vulnerable victims in dog attacks, with those under the age of 14 accounting for 42 percent of all dog bite injuries. Most of the mauled victims are between the ages of five and nine.
    http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/p...l_attacks.html
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 05-22-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Practice Squad
    Pittsburgh — A pit bull owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has reportedly attacked the player’s young son.
    What if the kid was playing with the dog and it play bit him to hard? the press lives to give bad named things worse names then they already have...if he owned a Lab would the headlines be his son got attacked? or would it be son got injured?

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Many kids would then lose their father.
    LOL Reminds me of the "Beware of the Doghouse" commercial from JC Penney!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What if the kid was playing with the dog and it play bit him to hard? the press lives to give bad named things worse names then they already have...if he owned a Lab would the headlines be his son got attacked? or would it be son got injured?
    I onced play stabbed someone. He lost 2 pints of blood.

Practice Squad
    That is definitely true, and it is clear that the media does pounce on any Pit Bull attack.

But, you gotta admit that we hear an awful lot about pitbull attacks. Just stroll through your local animal shelter and you will see that at least 85% of the available dogs are pit bulls.

I hate that they have the stigma they do, and I walked through petsmart with my puppy one day and there was a pitbull in there, I have to admit, when I was in the same isle, I was nervous about it eating my dog...

The unfortunate thing is that people see pitbulls as some sort of status symbol and these people are not equipped to own them. The require an experienced owner who knows how to train dogs properly.

Now, bulldogs on the other hand...does this face look like she would hurt you?

Veteran
    The article says a second person was also hurt.