Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " 10-Pack : The worst offseason moves " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " 10-Pack : The worst offseason moves " ~ ~ ~

10-Pack: The worst offseason moves
    By Mike Florio - SportingNews

> http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

We made #1 (in no particular order)

Unbelievable what is up there for us as well...

1. New York Jets not hiring Bill Cowher

After firing coach Eric Mangini, the Jets had an opportunity to land former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who has resided at the top of the "A" list ever since leaving Pittsburgh a season after winning a Super Bowl.

But the Jets weren't interested in altering the power structure that GM Mike Tannenbaum has so carefully and methodically developed over the years. Basically, Tannenbaum would have had to yield his authority over the team to Cowher—and possibly accept a position of irrelevance to the football operation.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Tannenbaum wasn't interested in standing down, so the talks with Cowher went nowhere.

At a time when the Jets are struggling to sell, for significant lump sums, the privilege to park posteriors in the chairs for which fans will be buying tickets, having Cowher in the fold would have gone a long way toward moving many personal seat licenses for the new stadium.

Hall Of Fame
    fyi :

10-Pack: Teams that made the best offseason moves

Approximately four months before the NFL's regular season kicks off, Mike Florio analyzes some of the key decisions, big trades and smart moves 10 teams made in the offseason.

1. Cincinnati Bengals sign Coles

rest of article > http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=553141

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thats the only list where you see the Jets ranked so high.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Thats the only list where you see the Jets ranked so high.

All League
    Florio is such a douche. He is seriously saying that us not hiring Bill Cowher is a worse move than Denver trading Cutler (or Denver hiring McDaniels for that matter)? Specifically what has Ryan done so far that made this "non move" the worst on his list.

Come to think of it, most of this list is very disjointed. But coming from that disbarred lawyer Florio, I can't say this is a surprise).

i'm starting to think that kelly is actually a girl. crazy i know..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by newjakecity View Post
    Florio is such a douche. He is seriously saying that us not hiring Bill Cowher is a worse move than Denver trading Cutler (or Denver hiring McDaniels for that matter)? Specifically what has Ryan done so far that made this "non move" the worst on his list.

Come to think of it, most of this list is very disjointed. But coming from that disbarred lawyer Florio, I can't say this is a surprise).
    Especially considering that there hasn't been any indication that he was coming out of retirement for anyone.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Especially considering that there hasn't been any indication that he was coming out of retirement for anyone.
    This is really par for the course with Florio. Go back to early 2008 and you should have heard the libel things he was spewing about Matt Walsh before he even had a chance to testify. It was like he was the official press release for the Pats* organization.

He's a disbarred lawyer that has no more knowledge than most of us and yet somehow yahoo and the sporting news pay this guy to write columns (sporting news I actually stopped subscribing to over 10 years ago due to its overall crappiness).

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by newjakecity View Post
    This is really par for the course with Florio. Go back to early 2008 and you should have heard the libel things he was spewing about Matt Walsh before he even had a chance to testify. It was like he was the official press release for the Pats* organization.

He's a disbarred lawyer that has no more knowledge than most of us and yet somehow yahoo and the sporting news pay this guy to write columns (sporting news I actually stopped subscribing to over 10 years ago due to its overall crappiness).
    He's disbarred???

Anyways I like profootballtalk.com but have to disagree with the move to get Cowher. Cowher has below average record vs the Pats.. And he wouldn't have had the talent in NY that he had in Pitt.. Plus Tanni has done a solid job drafting for the Jets.. Even though the depth is questionable, he's done a great job of getting skilled players at important positions..

I still have a hard time understanding how Mangini got another job so quickly..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully View Post
    He's disbarred???

Anyways I like profootballtalk.com but have to disagree with the move to get Cowher. Cowher has below average record vs the Pats.. And he wouldn't have had the talent in NY that he had in Pitt.. Plus Tanni has done a solid job drafting for the Jets.. Even though the depth is questionable, he's done a great job of getting skilled players at important positions..

Chica Me Tipo vouched for him. That was all it took.

All Pro
    I would move Denver to number 1.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully View Post
    He's disbarred???

He had pics of Mr. Lerner fisting Mrs. Lerner, who was fisting a goat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This list is a complete joke and it only furthers everyone's opinions on Mike Florio. The guy is a complete jackass.

Denver is hands down number one. As a matter of fact, I'd rank them #1 on two moves this offseason.

Trading away a young, franchise QB in Jay Cutler and replacing him with Kyle Orton. And firing a HOF coach in Mike Shanahan and replacing him with Josh McDaniels who seems like he can't tell his ass from his elbow so far.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This list is a complete joke and it only furthers everyone's opinions on Mike Florio. The guy is a complete jackass.

Denver is hands down number one. As a matter of fact, I'd rank them #1 on two moves this offseason.

Trading away a young, franchise QB in Jay Cutler and replacing him with Kyle Orton. And firing a HOF coach in Mike Shanahan and replacing him with Josh McDaniels who seems like he can't tell his ass from his elbow so far.
    I'm going to disagree not because I think the Jets should be #1, but the fact Cutler forced his way out. Cutler has a .500 record and has never been known as a winner. He shot his way out of town by crossing his coach and owner.

If I was a broncos fan I would be more upset with Cutler than the coaching staff..

top ten list

didn't know The Sporting News was still around.Thought it was finished when Mr.Ed went off the air.

All League
    If Cowher had real interest in coaching the Jets, and we didn't pursue it because of some power play by Tannenbaum, then yes, we belong at the top of the list. But since there isn't any hard evidence that he was willing to come out of retirement (just speculation by "Same Old Jets" types like Florio and Cimini), this is bogus.

Maybe this list of "worst offseason moves" should focus more on moves that, you know, actually happened.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Chica Me Tipo vouched for him. That was all it took.
    Vouched?? Boy is that a mighty understatement.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

But Kyle Orton is a winner!!!!! And Cutler is a loser!!! Orton>>>Cutler!!!

Banned
    I'm just doing my job as Mangini's PR agent.

I'm not very good at it, but he's still got a job.