Thread: Cotch on WR's

Cotch on WR's

"All it's about is getting a chance," Cotchery said. "My chance went under radar because it was me moving up [on the depth chart], not filling a vacant position. If there was a vacant position, everyone would have been wondering the same thing about me, because I hadn't played a lot before I started in 2006."

Basically, what Cotch is saying that a few years ago, before he was a starter, nobody was too sure about HIM...but he obviously had the talent to contribute.

The point is, don't assume that because a player has YET to put up numbers, he CAN'T if given the chance. In fact, there are so many more players who can yield production than most fans think. It's a little similar to basketball, where you can run your offense through any given player and watch them score over 20 a game. Yes, some are more efficient at it than others, but the difference is not as big as it usually seems.

I remember when Coles was a slot reciever way back when, and I don't think his expectations where as high as he ended up achieving. Stuckey could turn out similar, or Clowney, Smith etc.

Banned
    I want to see Huey Whittaker in action. Just to see if theres anything there to have some kind of hope on. He's big and he's fast...if he can run routes and catch the ball then we've got ourselves something.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    I want to see Huey Whittaker in action. Just to see if theres anything there to have some kind of hope on. He's big and he's fast...if he can run routes and catch the ball then we've got ourselves something.
    I have a feeling that Whittaker or Britt Davis makes the team.

cotch
    clown
    stuck
    Whitt
    Davis
    Smith

ps: Raymond

All Pro
    I think the problem is that guys like Clowney and stucky are to small to be dominant. We need a dominant receiver and havent really had one since Keyshawn. Coles was close though.

Banned
    ^^^ Wtf...Coles was small by NFL standards too...

All League
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    we are gonna get plax everyone relax

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think the problem is that guys like Clowney and stucky are to small to be dominant. We need a dominant receiver and havent really had one since Keyshawn. Coles was close though.
    isnt stucky bigger than coles

Undrafted Free Agent
    gotta root for huey whitaker. he is from the town i lived in back in fla

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tell that to Steve Smith..

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    we are gonna get plax everyone relax
    That would be a disaster. The guy's a malcontent and a me-first guy. A typical pre-moddona WR that can ruin the chemistry of a team and give our QB headaches.
    Stick with the kids!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    That would be a disaster. The guy's a malcontent and a me-first guy. A typical pre-moddona WR that can ruin the chemistry of a team and give our QB headaches.
    Stick with the kids!
    I agree with you that he's a malcontent but Plaxico Burress is still one hell of a player on the field. He was probably the MVP of the Giants Super Bowl run. Tall receiver who is always a matchup problem for the defense. I'll take that over the four stooges (Stuckey, Clowney, Smith and Henry)

plaxico has been impressive everywhere he has been...
    and where ever he plays this year he will have to be on best behavior or he wont pass go he wont collect 200$.. well you know the rest..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTPenny View Post
    "All it's about is getting a chance," Cotchery said. "My chance went under radar because it was me moving up [on the depth chart], not filling a vacant position. If there was a vacant position, everyone would have been wondering the same thing about me, because I hadn't played a lot before I started in 2006."

Basically, what Cotch is saying that a few years ago, before he was a starter, nobody was too sure about HIM...but he obviously had the talent to contribute.

The point is, don't assume that because a player has YET to put up numbers, he CAN'T if given the chance. In fact, there are so many more players who can yield production than most fans think. It's a little similar to basketball, where you can run your offense through any given player and watch them score over 20 a game. Yes, some are more efficient at it than others, but the difference is not as big as it usually seems.

I remember when Coles was a slot reciever way back when, and I don't think his expectations where as high as he ended up achieving. Stuckey could turn out similar, or Clowney, Smith etc.

Good post, I'm cautiously optimistic also.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Tell that to Steve Smith..
    Exactly. Drafted in the 3rd round (maybe 4th). Now he is one of the best.

All League
    Coles was short not small.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
    plaxico has been impressive everywhere he has been...
    and where ever he plays this year he will have to be on best behavior or he wont pass go he wont collect 200$.. well you know the rest..
    Burress has always underachieved. He has HOF talent but has never consistently played like it on the field. MAYBE this latest screw up finally sets him straight? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I agree with you that he's a malcontent but Plaxico Burress is still one hell of a player on the field. He was probably the MVP of the Giants Super Bowl run. Tall receiver who is always a matchup problem for the defense. I'll take that over the four stooges (Stuckey, Clowney, Smith and Henry)
    VT, I think you're forgetting how much of a distraction a guy like Plax can be. He's the last thing a young team with a rookie head coach and QB need.
    Btw, the key to the Giants S.B. run was their outstanding pass rush and their running game. Plax was an added dimension that put them over the top. But teams win all the time without an elite WR.