View Poll Results: How do you feel about Rex Ryan's bold/confident statements to the media?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I welcome it

22 88.00%
  • I disaprove of it

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan fires back at Channing Crowder- Glauber

Hall Of Fame

Rex Ryan fires back at Channing Crowder- Glauber

Rex Ryan fires back at Channing Crowder

So much for Rex Ryan soft-pedaling Channing Crowder's rant the other day on Ryan's big talk about his new team. In response to Ryan predicting his team would win a Super Bowl at his introductory press conference in January, and then saying he didn't plan to kiss Bill Belichick's Super Bowl rings last week, Crowder bristled to Dolphins reporters last Friday: "Oh, he's going crazy. He's going absolutely nuts. I know it's his first chance to be a head coach, and I know he's excited about life. But, like I said, I've never played a football game in June in my whole life. So congratulations to him. He's the OTA, the OTA Super Bowl winner."

Ryan didn't wait to address the remarks. In fact, in his just-concluded presser following a mini-camp practice - and with his father, former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan sitting in on the press conference - Rex Ryan brought the Crowder comments up before anyone asked.

"I dont know this Channing Crowder," Ryan said. "All I know is that hes all tatted up. Hes right about one thing. Im a first-time head coach, but Ive been around the game all my life. I'm no different than Iver ever been, just that more people are listening."

Ryan's take on Crowder saying you don't win in June?

"I think hes wrong," Ryan said. "You do win in June. You win with your preparation. If it was younger, Id handle him myself. Hes a good player and all that kind of stuff and it is fun to ruffle some feathers. Ive got no problem doing that. Im confident in our football team. I'm confident in myself, the players, the coaches and the entire organization. Thats why I say the things I say. I make no apologies for any of those types of things."

More Rex:

"I know one thing. Our football team is going to be prepared and we're going to play our tails off and were going to give everything we got. If people have trouble with it, live with it, because it's gonna happen."

Asked if Ryan was providing additional motivation for teams with his boastful comments, he said: "If that motivation is going to get them an edge, if they need that, fine. They're going to get 100 percent of what we have. Well see if thats good enough."

On the Belichick comment about not kissing the Patriots coach's three Super Bowl rings: "I'm nog going to concede anything. Im not inidimidated by him or anyone else in this business, period. Our football lteam certainly won't be intimidated either. If there are issues with that, so be it."
    http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/fo...down_from.html

Veteran
    Mangini and Ryan are night and day

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Mangini and Ryan are night and day
    Except for their love of buffets...

All League
    It seems as if Rex has that rare ability to straddle the line between being a pompous ass and being extremely confident. I know it's been stated thousands of times already, but I love his personality!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    great attitude...F**** everyone else

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Well, call my a cynic, but lets see how it plays out when we're playing games that count. For now it's all just gum-flapping and hype. All sizzle, no steak just yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    It seems as if Rex has that rare ability to straddle the line between being a pompous ass and being extremely confident. I know it's been stated thousands of times already, but I love his personality!
    yeah, but like everything else, if he wins, it's great, while if he loses, his act will get old really quick

might as well enjoy it now..

Practice Squad
    Yikes, you guys better hope that the team can cash the checks he is writin' because it will get ugly real quick if the Jets start up 1-4/2-5.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Well, call my a cynic, but lets see how it plays out when we're playing games that count. For now it's all just gum-flapping and hype. All sizzle, no steak just yet.
    i'd agree... if it weren't for the blood lines...

Veteran
    ... T - REX!!! ...

l_j_r

All League
    True, but it sure is refreshing!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    yeah, but like everything else, if he wins, it's great, while if he loses, his act will get old really quick

might as well enjoy it now..
    Isn't that the point, though?

All these people "worried" that this bravado may not turn into wins -- guess what? It's June, and we have no idea what effect (if any) it will have on the team.

SO LET'S ENJOY IT!!!!

If the time comes that the "act gets old", so be it -- but why worry about that now?

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. What's the worst that can happen -- we're frickin' Jets fans for cryin' out loud!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I prefer coaches like Landry and Noll.

They wouldn't have a thing to say about any of this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Isn't that the point, though?

All these people "worried" that this bravado may not turn into wins -- guess what? It's June, and we have no idea what effect (if any) it will have on the team.

SO LET'S ENJOY IT!!!!

If the time comes that the "act gets old", so be it -- but why worry about that now?

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. What's the worst that can happen -- we're frickin' Jets fans for cryin' out loud!

Ha, great point! But his comment about handling Crowder himself if he was younger made me go

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i'd agree... if it weren't for the blood lines...
    I was unaware Coaching in the NFL was genetic. How many sons of successful NFL Coaches have won Super Bowls?

I won't discount his life experience, but the genetics argument is, imo, a weak one.

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    True, but it sure is refreshing!
    No, refreshing would be winning 12 games, sweeping the Patriots, and winning two playoff games. Talk is never refreshing, it's just talk.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Ha, great point! But his comment about handling Crowder himself if he was younger made me go
    I don't doubt for a second he was TOTALLY serious

The guy is DEFINITELY a nutcase -- but for now, he's OUR NUTCASE, so all aboard the crazy train!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Rex has had major success everywhere he's been both pro and college.

"I'm no different than Ive ever been, just that more people are listening."

His players responded to him and his way of coaching in the past, I expect his players to respond to him and his way of coaching now also.

I was unaware Coaching in the NFL was genetic. How many sons of successful NFL Coaches have won Super Bowls?

I won't discount his life experience, but the genetics argument is, imo, a weak one.

No, refreshing would be winning 12 games, sweeping the Patriots, and winning two playoff games. Talk is never refreshing, it's just talk.
    So you don't want to hire Andy Reid's kids?

love this guy. i don't care what anyone says - this attitude flows right down to the team. look at mangini in cleveland now - again not winning any friends. look at the situation in indy and denver - where a new guy comes in and doesn't even TALK to the star veterans. mangini barely spoke to some of the players when he was here - whatever happened to building a bond between player and coach? bellicheck had some success being a robot, so now that is an acceptable way to coach? i don't buy it. players follow bellicheck because of his proven success - that crap doesn't fly without the wins.

people forget that a lot of these guys are still young - and when the season gets rough - and you're worn down and you're losing games - and the fans and the media are turning against you - that is when a poor "team" quits. and that is reflective of the guy steering the ship. from the quotes you see from ryan veterans like lito and scott, it is clear these guys would run through walls for the guy. i don't see how a jet fan can be anything other than pumped to see some emotion and enthusiasm finally. with all the history of us getting whipped by the pats over the last decade, i am glad he is coming in here and saying that was then, this is now - you can't tell me that attitude doesn't translate to the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I prefer coaches like Landry and Noll.

They wouldn't have a thing to say about any of this.
    Try to emulate them then and STFU.