Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets vs Oilers last game of 93 season...

Jets vs Oilers last game of 93 season...

We win this one and we're in, but we had to go on the road against possibly the hottest team in the league at the time, this is the game where Buddy punches Gilbride in the face. Stick around and watch some of Buddy's defense though, a prelude of things to come. They had young LB's who hadn't even scratched the surface of their talent in Lathon and Barrow, not to mention Wilber Marshall, Sean Jones, Chris Dishman, Blaine Bishop... that defense was loaded, tough luck for the Jets in 93 having to beat that team to get in.

Veteran
    Remember this well!

Thanks for the memories.

Hall Of Fame
    I know this was upsetting end for the Jets, but my biggest surprise that season was the Oilers losing to the Chiefs in the divisional round.

Yes, that was Montana with the Chiefs, but still. That was a heck of an Oilers team.

I also remember Dan Reeves with the Giants coaching for the FG against the Cowboys at the end of the season at home. The Giants win that game and they have home field throughout. Instead, the lost and were the WC.
    Last edited by SMC; 06-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I know this was upsetting end for the Jets, but my biggest surprise that season was the Oilers losing to the Chiefs in the divisional round.

Yes, that was Montana with the Chiefs, but still. That was a heck of an Oilers team.

I also remember Dan Reeves with the Giants coaching for the FG against the Cowboys at the end of the season at home. The Giants win that game and they have home field throughout. Instead, the lost and were the WC.

We still had a good team on paper in 94' and it looked like a winner again when they dismantled Buffalo to open the season and then beat Denver at home, I thought that start would propel us to the playoffs but Miami sent the Jets on a tailspin after the fake spike game, Carroll and his happy go lucky lets call short practice so I can go golfing cost us the season and his job, then Kotite came in in 05 and made us the laughing stock of the league, something the Jets hadn't been since the 70's. The Jets in the 80's and early 90's were mostly mediocre but never 1-15 bad.

All Pro
    Weller = Welker

Undrafted Free Agent
    The most frustrating thing about that final day of the 1993 season was that I think the Jets needed one of three results to happen in the 1 p.m. games to have a shot at the playoffs, and they got all three results in their favor (I wish I could remember the particulars, but I just can't. I just remember going to a sports bar to root for one of those three results to come through, and I believe all three of them did).

Then I came home to watch the Sunday night ESPN game, and the game meant absolutely nothing to the Oilers. They had already clinched their playoff spot, and they didn't play Warren Moon. Cody Carlson started and Bucky Richardson (Bucky Richardson, for crying out loud!) mopped up, the Oilers' coaches fought on the sidelines, and the Jets, who had EVERYTHING to play for, got humiliated, 24-0.

By the way, if you ever get a chance, rewatch the 1991 Jets-Oilers playoff game. I realize the Jets were 8-8 that season and were unlikely to go deep into the postseason (which they made because Raul Allegre of all people, subbing for an injured Pat Leahy, kicked a game-winning field goal in OT the previous week at Miami, after having forced OT with a field goal as time ran out in regulation). But the Jets outplayed the Oilers in that playoff game and had a couple of bad calls go against them. Then the Jets were down 17-10 and driving at the end of the game, and O'Brien completed a pass to the tight end, Mark Boyer. An Oilers defender laid on top of him for about 15 seconds and the officials did nothing, allowing that time to run off the clock and essentially ending any chance the Jets had to rally.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    The most frustrating thing about that final day of the 1993 season was that I think the Jets needed one of three results to happen in the 1 p.m. games to have a shot at the playoffs, and they got all three results in their favor (I wish I could remember the particulars, but I just can't. I just remember going to a sports bar to root for one of those three results to come through, and I believe all three of them did).

Then I came home to watch the Sunday night ESPN game, and the game meant absolutely nothing to the Oilers. They had already clinched their playoff spot, and they didn't play Warren Moon. Cody Carlson started and Bucky Richardson (Bucky Richardson, for crying out loud!) mopped up, the Oilers' coaches fought on the sidelines, and the Jets, who had EVERYTHING to play for, got humiliated, 24-0.

By the way, if you ever get a chance, rewatch the 1991 Jets-Oilers playoff game. I realize the Jets were 8-8 that season and were unlikely to go deep into the postseason (which they made because Raul Allegre of all people, subbing for an injured Pat Leahy, kicked a game-winning field goal in OT the previous week at Miami, after having forced OT with a field goal as time ran out in regulation). But the Jets outplayed the Oilers in that playoff game and had a couple of bad calls go against them. Then the Jets were down 17-10 and driving at the end of the game, and O'Brien completed a pass to the tight end, Mark Boyer. An Oilers defender laid on top of him for about 15 seconds and the officials did nothing, allowing that time to run off the clock and essentially ending any chance the Jets had to rally.
    I recall Parcell's Pats led by rookie Drew Bledsoe won a shoot-out against Miami that day.

I also recall being embarrassed by the Jets performance. I believe Cody Carlson started for Warren Moon. The Oilers had nothing to play for and absolutely smoked us.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I recall Parcell's Pats led by rookie Drew Bledsoe won a shoot-out against Miami that day.

I also recall being embarrassed by the Jets performance. I believe Cody Carlson started for Warren Moon. The Oilers had nothing to play for and absolutely smoked us.

No, the shootout between Bledsoe and Marino which Miami won in the end was the 04 season opener, we played Buffalo to start the season and beat them, both were 1 o'clock games and I remember watching them at a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    No, the shootout between Bledsoe and Marino which Miami won in the end was the 04 season opener, we played Buffalo to start the season and beat them, both were 1 o'clock games and I remember watching them at a bar.

sorry 94 not 04.

Its truly amazing that the Oilers of the early 90s never made (or won) a SB. They go down as one of the most talented teams in history to never win a thing.

All League

The other poster corrected you about the dates of the games.

Had that game been week 1 it would have been easier to take but it was Week 18(they had 2 bye weeks in 1993) and our teams effort was pathetic against a Houston team w/ nothing to play for starting Commander Cody.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    Its truly amazing that the Oilers of the early 90s never made (or won) a SB. They go down as one of the most talented teams in history to never win a thing.
    I agree, both Houston and Philly in those days could never get it done in January, at least philly played in the NFC which was a much better conf. Both teams had one thing in common- great reg season QBs who couldn't play under postseason pressure.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post

your memory fails you.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...9401020nwe.htm

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

this game was A-typical of the bruce cosslett coached Jets; destiny in thier own hands (as is was much of Nov/Dec '93) yet came to the game unprepared, got out-coached, out-played and never adjusted....

fast forward to 2008 and just replace the name of bruce cosslett with eric mangini and as Robert Plant once sang, The Song Remains the Same....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    the chuck and duck offense of Jerry Glanville, now the HC at IAA Portland State...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    this game was A-typical of the bruce cosslett coached Jets; destiny in thier own hands (as is was much of Nov/Dec '93) yet came to the game unprepared, got out-coached, out-played and never adjusted....

fast forward to 2008 and just replace the name of bruce cosslett with eric mangini and as Robert Plant once sang, The Song Remains the Same....
    The only other time they were in a smilar situation under bruce was the final game of 1991 and the Jets beat Miami on the road to reach the postseason.

Actually you're right Woody, I totally forgot that game, I was referring to the 94 season opener in Miami in which Bledsoe and Marino put on a show for the ages and Miami won at the end.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The only other time they were in a smilar situation under bruce was the final game of 1991 and the Jets beat Miami on the road to reach the postseason.
    the Jets lost four of their final five games in '93, including to some sh!tty teams like the Indy Colts at home when Jeff George ate them alive and carey blanchard missing three of four gimme field goals up in Buffalo....prior to the season they made a huge impact in FA signing Ronnie Lott, Leornard Marshall besides trading for a big named QB, Bummer Esiason and they still blew it..just like the '08 Jets...

as far as '91 is concerned- they lost to the worst team in the league at home in week 15, the New Pats, and basically backed into the final game scenario when the Chargers upset the Dolphins later in the day- I remember being driven from the Jets game to the airport and listening to Steve Levy on FAN give scoring updates on FAN as I waited for my flight to Florida as I was going to the game the following week...

the parrellels between coslett and mangini are scary....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the Jets lost four of their final five games in '93, including to some sh!tty teams like the Indy Colts at home when Jeff George ate them alive and carey blanchard missing three of four gimme field goals up in Buffalo....prior to the season they made a huge impact in FA signing Ronnie Lott, Leornard Marshall besides trading for a big named QB, Bummer Esiason and they still blew it..just like the '08 Jets...

as far as '91 is concerned- they lost to the worst team in the league at home in week 15, the New Pats, and basically backed into the final game scenario when the Chargers upset the Dolphins later in the day- I remember being driven from the Jets game to the airport and listening to Steve Levy on FAN give scoring updates on FAN as I waited for my flight to Florida as I was going to the game the following week...

the parrellels between coslett and mangini are scary....

They were terrible late in 1993 but the only bad team they lost to was Indy, they finished w/ the 2 SB teams and Houston w/ 2 of the games being on the road.

They didn't back into anything in 1991, they won the games they needed to win. There's no such thing as backing in especially when we went on the road and beat Miami for the final spot.

Coslet: 4-12, 8-8 playoffs, 4-12, 8-8
    Mangini: 10-6 playoffs, 4-12, 9-7

The endings were similar(except we had a much better team in '08) but nothing else was similar from their years as Jet HCs.