Thread: Shonne Greene...Diamond in the rough

Banned

Shonne Greene...Diamond in the rough

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11859509

RB Shonn Greene, N.Y. Jets (third; 65th): Just as the Jets aggressively traded up for quarterback Mark Sanchez on the first day of the draft, coach Rex Ryan and Co. made the same decision to get the first pick of the second day and land Greene, the only running back in the NCAA to rush for more than 100 yards in every game last season. Pessimists might contend that with veterans Thomas Jones and Leon Washington in the fray, Greene won't see the field much, but his short, thick frame is conducive to goal-line carries and running out the clock in the fourth quarter. And Jones and Washington are unhappy with their contracts.

All Pro
    I'm hoping that Greene can be the goal line back that we were sorely missing last season. I don't want to see another 4 and out on the goal line by TJ.

Banned
    Greene is as much a diamond in the rough as Justin Tuck was...a concensus late first/early second round pick that fell to the 3rd for no specific reason.

He's going to be awesome though. Lamont Jordan 2.0 for us...hopefully with a better work ethic.

Veteran
    the only running back in the NCAA to rush for more than 100 yards in every game last season.
    Very impressive stat!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETZONI View Post
    Very impressive stat!!!
    .. what does savage think? ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Greene is as much a diamond in the rough as Justin Tuck was...a concensus late first/early second round pick that fell to the 3rd for no specific reason.

He's going to be awesome though. Lamont Jordan 2.0 for us...hopefully with a better work ethic.
    I'm guessing his age might have had something to do with it.

Banned
    ^^^ Yea, he is getting up there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ^^^ Yea, he is getting up there.
    I was simply posting what many consider to be the reason and you can only respond with sarcasm, as usual. And within 2 minutes, as usual.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I was simply posting what many consider to be the reason and you can only respond with sarcasm, as usual. And within 2 minutes, as usual.
    I was waiting for you Jordy.

My Jordy reader on my laptop beeped and I POUNCED like a lion hunting an antelope in the Serengeti.

Why would anyone care about his age? He's got one season of college wear and tear on his body. It's probably just the way the cards fell, and him being a RB just made it easier to explain.

Oh man the can has been opened...

JetsInsider.com Legend

My Jordy reader on my laptop beeped and I POUNCED like a lion hunting an antelope in the Serengeti.

Why would anyone care about his age? He's got one season of college wear and tear on his body. It's probably just the way the cards fell, and him being a RB just made it easier to explain.

I was thinking his age might have been one factor, like I said, but if the great Chica says NO, then I must defer.

All Pro

pretty much the same idea can be said about thomas jones turning over 30. not as much wear and tear as normal. around 1000 less carries or so i think... but people are still skeptical... and for good reason IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    pretty much the same idea can be said about thomas jones turning over 30. not as much wear and tear as normal. around 1000 less carries or so i think... but people are still skeptical... and for good reason IMO.
    I'm not worried about Jones this year, but thats because I expect he realizes it's his last with the Jets.

With the two back system being so popular I don't think age 30 is the big cutoff it used to be. Jones stays in shape, and if Fragile Fred can still be a productive back past 30 then Jones can. As soon as we cut Jones he'll probably find himself on the Pats, Bucs, Jags, or someone.

Banned
    Next Michael Turner.

Bruising runner, plays faster than his 40.

If only the Jets could trade Jones. Greene would be a fantasy monster next season.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 06-18-2009 at 08:58 PM.

All Pro
    I'm not worried about Jones this year, but thats because I expect he realizes it's his last with the Jets.

With the two back system being so popular I don't think age 30 is the big cutoff it used to be. Jones stays in shape, and if Fragile Fred can still be a productive back past 30 then Jones can. As soon as we cut Jones he'll probably find himself on the Pats, Bucs, Jags, or someone.
    i'm not saying you're worried about jones this year. i'm saying it's the general perception that it's all downhill from here for him, which is the point i'm trying to make. the general perception on the age of greene and jones is not the same as yours, which could be why he failed.

All League
    He was the first pick of the 3rd round, so he can't be that much of a sleeper...