Thread: Cimini's latest blog, a good read

Veteran

Cimini's latest blog, a good read

Jets grab well-traveled CB Barksdale
    June 25, 2009
    The Jets have made a minor transaction, acquiring well-traveled CB Rashad Barksdale on waivers. Barksdale began his career with the Eagles, a sixth-round pick in 2007. He also has played with the Chiefs and Giants, who waived him on June 20.

Barksdale (6-0, 208) has excellent size for the position and he was regarded as a sleeper coming out of SUNY-Albany, where he played on the school baseball team before switching to football.

Barring major news, this probably will be the last post for a while. Some random thoughts before I begin vacation:
    The Jets aren't actively pursuing WR Plaxico Burress, as I wrote last week, but they haven't completely ruled him out. Owner Woody Johnson, appeared on the Boomer Esiason show on MSG, said the team is in a "holding pattern" with regard to Burress. They're going to wait to see how his legal situation plays out (or starts to play out) before making a decision. Prediction: That'll be the hot story in Cortland.
    Speaking of Esiason, his son, Gunnar, a graduating senior at Friends Academy on Long Island, played quarterback in the annual Long Island-New York City all-star game, organized by his dad many years ago to raise money for cystic fibrosis. As many of you know, Gunnar has the disease, but it hasn't stopped him from leading a normal life. He's not an all-star-caliber player, but coaches in the event wanted him to participate - a nice gesture.
    An even better gesture occurred when Gunnar entered the game and stepped to the line of scrimmage. Every player on the New York City defense walked over to him, patted him on the helmet and shoulder pads and let him know how much it meant to them that he was playing.
    Who says sportsmanship is gone?
    By the way, I remember when Gunnar, only 2 or 3, used to show up for Jets practices to watch his dad. Wow, do I feel old.
    Spent eight days in the Bethpage muck, covering the U.S. Open. I was fortunate enough to spend some time around Phil Mickelson, following him around the course. It's truly one of the great spectacles in New York sports, observing Mickelson and the unconditional love from his gallery. When he made his eagle on 13 Monday to tie for the lead, it was going to be one of the most amazing stories ever in New York.
    Walking inside the ropes around the 16th, 17th and 18th holes, where it seemed like Yankee Stadium, I got chills. Moments like that make me realize how lucky I am to be doing what I do. I felt the same way when Brett Favre walked on the practice field for the first time last summer at Hofstra, where 10,000 stood up and cheered as if a young Joe Namath had walked into their presence.
    Cool stuff.
    I also got chills last December at Qwest Field in Seattle, where Favre stunk and the Jets kissed their season goodbye. But that's because it was freakin freezing and Pelzman from the Record, my ride to the hotel, couldn't find his car.
    Memo to Knicks: Pick Jonny Flynn. His performance in last season's Big East tournament was the best thing in the Garden in a long, long time.
    Anybody psyched for Cortland? It's going to cost you $5 to park at the school to watch practice, according to the school's web site.
    You're not surprised, are you?

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...xzz0JSlc4UJ3&C

All Pro
    define "good read" please

the part about Gunnar was the only part worth my time in reading imho... but I guess maybe you are right... if Cimini doesn't write negative sh!t about the Jets I guess it qualifies as a "good read"

All League
    he is good when there is nothing really to write about

Veteran
    I thought his description of Mickelson at Bethpage, drawing parallels to Favre first appearance at Hostra finishing up with the humorous reference to Favre's last appearance at Qwest field in Seattle . . . is what you would define " a good read".

I did not get to Bethpage (although I watched it live on the internet) and I never made it to Seattle. If someone can give me something of what it feels like to be a fan close to a specific sports event beyond a bland report of the facts, I am all for it. I did see the Yankees at Yankee Satdium, game six against the Braves in 96 and that World Series feeling was unbelievable, life affecting. I crave that first hand experience.

I don't get the hate on this writer, I never have. Most of the writers do a good job giving us a perspective that we do not have the luxury of experiencing first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I thought his description of Mickelson at Bethpage, drawing parallels to Favre first appearance at Hostra finishing up with the humorous reference to Favre's last appearance at Qwest field in Seattle . . . is what you would define " a good read".

I did not get to Bethpage (although I watched it live on the internet) and I never made it to Seattle. If someone can give me something of what it feels like to be a fan close to a specific sports event beyond a bland report of the facts, I am all for it. I did see the Yankees at Yankee Satdium, game six against the Braves in 96 and that World Series feeling was unbelievable, life affecting. I crave that first hand experience.

I don't get the hate on this writer, I never have. Most of the writers do a good job giving us a perspective that we do not have the luxury of experiencing first hand.
    Rich, you seeing this?

You actually have a fan here!

Veteran
    Keep you day job alwaysgreen, comedy's a tough business.

Keep you day job alwaysgreen, comedy's a tough business.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That your praise of a piece written by a Jet beat writer posted in a football forum has to do with golf says it all.

Veteran
    Hey, it's the off season Jet Nut . . . six months since the last jets game and many weeks until the first preseason game, what's a beat writer to write about ?

Michael Jackson . . . Farrah Fawcett ?

Banned
    Is this Barksdale guy any better than Justin Miller who Mangini cut to make room for Ty Law? I'm sticking pins into my Mangini doll right now.

Veteran
    I liked Mangini but yes, the Miller dumping for Old Ty . . . a head scratcher

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Boru View Post
    Is this Barksdale guy any better than Justin Miller who Mangini cut to make room for Ty Law? I'm sticking pins into my Mangini doll right now.
    He's not the return man Miller is, but it's almost impossible to be a worse CB than Miller...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    He's not the return man Miller is, but it's almost impossible to be a worse CB than Miller...
    Most knuckleheads here at JI underestimate the value of a guy who has the ability to take MULTIPLE K.O.R.s "to the house".
    If we keep a roster spot for a specialty player like a long snapper, we can certainly keep a spot for the LEAGUE-LEADING KOR as well. Why does he need to play any CB?
    You think a little guy like Leon aint gonna get hurt at RB? Cutting Miller was perhaps the stupidest single roster move the Jets made all season! You will all understand this if Leon does get hurt this season.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 06-25-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The words Cimini and good read should never be included in the same breath...don't do it again