Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Jets ever make it to NBC?

Will the Jets ever make it to NBC?

This will be NBC's fourth year of televising Sunday Night Football, which became the marquis prime time game when they took it over from ESPN, replacing ABC's Monday Night franchise (now held by ESPN). And for the first three years, the Jets have never made an appearance on SNF. They are not scheduled to be on in 2009, either, although they could be "flexed" in during the last few weeks of the season.

Of course, the Giants have been on NBC's telecast more times than I can count.

I understand the G-men have made more Super Bowl appearances in the last 40 years, but the Jets still share a huge TV market with them and have a large following. And despite being playoff contenders in 2006 and 2008, and having Favre as their QB last year, they still haven't even been flexed in.

What gives? Do we have a shot at a flex game this November or December?

Practice Squad
    id rather fly under the radar

All Pro
    nobody wants to watch the Jets dude.
    Its just a fact.

Unless you are a Jet fan, most people hate the Jets.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerricho89 View Post
    This will be NBC's fourth year of televising Sunday Night Football, which became the marquis prime time game when they took it over from ESPN, replacing ABC's Monday Night franchise (now held by ESPN). And for the first three years, the Jets have never made an appearance on SNF. They are not scheduled to be on in 2009, either, although they could be "flexed" in during the last few weeks of the season.

Of course, the Giants have been on NBC's telecast more times than I can count.

I understand the G-men have made more Super Bowl appearances in the last 40 years, but the Jets still share a huge TV market with them and have a large following. And despite being playoff contenders in 2006 and 2008, and having Favre as their QB last year, they still haven't even been flexed in.

What gives? Do we have a shot at a flex game this November or December?

We need to continue to win ballgames and generate interest outside of the NY metro area. Outside of the Favre circus last year, there hasn't been a ton of marketing material working in our favor. This year we will have a ferocious, relentless defense (I hope), a marquee rookie QB in Sanchez, and a quick-witted, unfiltered 1st year head coach in Ryan.

Hopefully we'll generate some buzz country-wide and make others stand up and take notice.

All Pro
    I think we could get on this year. Probably depends on what record is going into these games:
    @ Tampa Bay
    Atlanta
    @ Indianapolis
    Cincinnati

Atlanta and Indy already seem like exciting games. @ TB will probably be a defensive showdown..Maybe Cincy will rebound this year and that game could be a playoffs deciding game. If the Jets and Sanchez are doing well and in playoff contention; then we will definitely get some national media attention.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    nobody wants to watch the Jets dude.
    Its just a fact.

Unless you are a Jet fan, most people hate the Jets.
    This is so truth! I spent 20 years traveling around the world, meeting thousands of people (especially Americans) from various states and background, but I hardly remember meeting any Jets fans at all. Matter of fact, I recall only a handful of people that were Jets fan.

I always get the crazy look or a smart remark when I mention Jets during a football conversation. I feel Jets fans are treated as 3rd class citizens of the NFL.

All Pro
    The Jets don't bring in the ratings. A simple fact.

Everytime we go on national TV we get killed. Chargers last year. Thanksgiving game, the year before that. The Jets dont help this cause.

All Pro
    Not to take anything away from the Jets, but the Gints have had a pretty
    interesting team during this period, especially with that nutcase Coughlin.

Lets see, who do we televise, Coughlin/Mangini, Pennington/Manning, Shockey/Franks, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    Everytime we go on national TV we get killed. Chargers last year. Thanksgiving game, the year before that. The Jets dont help this cause.
    Last time we were on prime time national TV we beat the Patriots (granted, it was NFL Network).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    The Jets don't bring in the ratings. A simple fact.
    If Sanchez produces he will be next "poster boy" of the NFL, and not to mention the amount of Latinos that will follow him. This will add to cash and I believe all these networks will deviate from their traditional marketing strategy to a new form that will suit Sanchez and the Jets. I guarantee you that the NFL is craving for Sanchez's success!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    HAte to say it, but it's true.

Our last GREAT Prime Time Game was 9 years ago w/the Midnight Miracle @ the Meadowlands.

Since then, the Jets have been embarrassed on national TV:

2002 vs. Saints - Kyle Turley rips off Damien Robinson's head and flings it in air (ESPN)

2005 vs. Falcons - DESTROYED by Atlanta on MNF w/Vinny and Brooks @ QB

2007 vs. Cowboys on THANKSGIVING!!!!!!! (Fox) it just ruined my meal

'2008 vs. Chargers on MNF. It was just sad and the IDIOT Jets fans who WERE there made us look even STUPIDER!!

Just sad...............

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Not to take anything away from the Jets, but the Gints have had a pretty
    interesting team during this period, especially with that nutcase Coughlin.

Lets see, who do we televise, Coughlin/Mangini, Pennington/Manning, Shockey/Franks, etc...
    Jets had six Pro Bowlers last year, including AFC's leading rusher plus future HOF quarterback.

I want to play 1:00PM games all year...

It's better for the families that take their kids to games, it's better for me since I start work early and it's better for the Jets because other than Thursday night last year, we usually blow sack...

We have one game on MNF and the Thursday Buffalo game on the NFLN... That's fine by me...

JetsFan2012
    Jets had six Pro Bowlers last year, including AFC's leading rusher plus future HOF quarterback.
    No one gives a **** about the Pro Bowl.

All League
    Last time we were on prime time national TV we beat the Patriots (granted, it was NFL Network).
    Forgot that one. I don't consider NFL network national b/c we never have & still don't get it here in NYC - the LARGEST MEDIA Market in the nation.

but alas, even that game didn't do us any good either in style points as we choked a sizable lead to a career backup in the last second of the doG-damn game for an impossible catch (DAMN YOU Ty LAW!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    HAte to say it, but it's true.

Our last GREAT Prime Time Game was 9 years ago w/the Midnight Miracle @ the Meadowlands.

Since then, the Jets have been embarrassed on national TV:

2002 vs. Saints - Kyle Turley rips off Damien Robinson's head and flings it in air (ESPN)

2005 vs. Falcons - DESTROYED by Atlanta on MNF w/Vinny and Brooks @ QB

2007 vs. Cowboys on THANKSGIVING!!!!!!! (Fox) it just ruined my meal

'2008 vs. Chargers on MNF. It was just sad and the IDIOT Jets fans who WERE there made us look even STUPIDER!!

Just sad...............
    In 2002, we beat defending SB champ Patriots on Sunday Night.

In 2003, we beat Tennessee (12-4 team)on Monday Night.

In 2006, we beat Miami in the rain on great screen pass to Leon on MNF.

Why is it so hard for Jet fans to remember the positive?

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    No one gives a **** about the Pro Bowl.
    The game itself? That's not the point.

Hall Of Fame
    could have sworn we beat the cheating skunks last season in their foxboro dump on national TV?

Banned
    If we're contending by the second half of this season I think we'll get a Sunday night game. Remember it's also about who you're playing.

In the second half we have games against the Pats, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons and Colts - all good teams with large fanbase and/or media market.