Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Nickname for our RBs

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,003

    Nickname for our RBs

    I was just reading a new entry on thejetsblog.com written by RinCT and he wants to call our running back trio "BOOM BOOM POW" -- what do you guys think? I kinda like it. Any other suggestions?

    http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/07/3...-here-we-come/

    Looking forward to seeing “Boom Boom Pow” in action — Okay, I’m calling this here and now as the official song for the Jets running backs this year!

    You’ve got Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene — the BOOM and BOOM — followed by the POW of my boy, LEON!! Can’t you picture it, the stadium being shook by the thumping bass each Sunday, the crowd getting fired up … everyone is dropping the beat, the Jets are running over opponents one after another. Eventually, there’s Sports Illustrated photo shoot with each of the backs wearing a jersey emblazoned with appropriate moniker (sort of like Snap! Crackle! Pop!).

    As the Boom Boom Pow backs “blow up on the spot” (’cause I’m street like that, yo), the defense then co-ops the song as part of their new attitude, and just like “The Super Bowl Shuffle,” a true team-wide theme song is set and it’s off to the playoffs! And then — cut to next year, and when the Jets are hosting that opening game on the first Thursday of the season next year as Super Bowl champs, they have Fergie and the Black-Eyed Peas performing it as they run onto the field! (Okay, not as cool as Ozzy doing “Crazy Train” for the Patriots for the 2005 opener, but still pretty awesome.) And of course, Fergie will be in a Flight Crew outfit, clumsy because she’s fallen in love with TJB!

    Seriously though, Thomas Jones is a music producer — he can make this happen, right? And anyone out there who can do a mash up to these three running backs to the song, I encourage you to do it, and send it along before we’re so 2000-late.

  2. #2
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fair Lawn, NJ
    Posts
    262
    please.. for the love of god.. NO!

    I can't stand these terrible nicknames that people always feel like they have to give groups of athletes and celebrity couples... (although for the record - I will be calling our QB Dirty Sanchez)

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,148
    How about:

    The Disgruntled and the Rookie

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,717
    Too bad most of the song is BOOM BOOM...Leon would not be happy.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    How about HO?

    As in Hold Out.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    How about:

    The Disgruntled and the Rookie
    I lol'd

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,003
    Ceberus?

    Cerberus, (pronounced /ˈsər-b(ə-)rəs/[1]) in Greek and Roman mythology, is a three-headed hound which guards the gates of Hades, to prevent those who have crossed the river Styx from ever escaping.

    Last edited by dassin; 07-30-2009 at 12:58 PM.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,572
    long gone

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,131
    How about "Bowling Ball with a Butcher Knife"? Or maybe "The Knish"? Or how about not trying to give lame, contrived nicknames that NOBODY relevant will ever use in a broadcast or any other forum outside of the JI Landing Strip?

    Nicknames are earned during the season, you don't just arbitrarily assign nicknames, besides, no matter how catchy or seemingly fitting the nicknames seem, ESPN or NFL network will come up with their own if a player or unit EARNS the distinction of needing a nifty nickname.

    Even then, they are usually HORRID and nobody ever uses them anyway. See above, or remember the fiascoes of stupid, terrible nicknames like "The Pounding Fathers" or "Six Feet Under"...

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,Ind
    Posts
    1,662
    Snap, Crackle, and Pop.....Damn thats how Brady leg will sound wk 2

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    How about "Bowling Ball with a Butcher Knife"? Or maybe "The Knish"? Or how about not trying to give lame, contrived nicknames that NOBODY relevant will ever use in a broadcast or any other forum outside of the JI Landing Strip?

    Nicknames are earned during the season, you don't just arbitrarily assign nicknames, besides, no matter how catchy or seemingly fitting the nicknames seem, ESPN or NFL network will come up with their own if a player or unit EARNS the distinction of needing a nifty nickname.

    Even then, they are usually HORRID and nobody ever uses them anyway. See above, or remember the fiascoes of stupid, terrible nicknames like "The Pounding Fathers" or "Six Feet Under"...
    I heard announcers use the Giants' Earth, Wind and Fire a lot last season and think that titles like this bring comradery to the unit.

    This serious, "no fun" stance is boring...its the day before TC, lighten up a bit.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Ceberus?

    Cerberus, (pronounced /ˈsər-b(ə-)rəs/[1]) in Greek and Roman mythology, is a three-headed hound which guards the gates of Hades, to prevent those who have crossed the river Styx from ever escaping.

    I'd say that sounds more like Scott/Harris/Pace than it does our RBs. Great name though!

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    I'd say that sounds more like Scott/Harris/Pace than it does our RBs. Great name though!
    Good point...I guess the creature is more defensive minded.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,131
    OK, in the Spiit of fun I'll try my hand at nicknaming our RBs:

    How about: Shifty, Ploddy, and the Great Unknown?

    Or maybe Disaffected, dissatisfied, and the new guy?

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,366
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    I heard announcers use the Giants' Earth, Wind and Fire a lot last season and think that titles like this bring comradery to the unit.

    This serious, "no fun" stance is boring...its the day before TC, lighten up a bit.
    i think a name has to be earned, and will come with time...

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,129
    I was thinking "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

    (There goes my Sergio Leone monthly reference allotment!)

  17. #17
    I kinda like Baddabing Boom Bang better myself

  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281
    it's awful. just...awful.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dump, Staten Island
    Posts
    2,773
    How about --

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I was thinking "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

    (There goes my Sergio Leone monthly reference allotment!)

    Shucks...was going to suggest..."The Good, The Bad...and The WAR MACHINE"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us