Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Jones: An owner with actual business acumen

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Arrow Jerry Jones: An owner with actual business acumen

Say what you will about his (over)involvement in football operations, NOBODY is better at the business of football.

Dallas Cowboys Target NFL Record by Making Fans Stand for $29

By Mary Schlangenstein and Thomas Korosec

Aug. 3 (Bloomberg) -- A crowd of 82,000 isn’t enough for Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

He has a plan to set a National Football League attendance record when the team starts playing in its new $1.15 billion stadium next month. Tickets are being sold to fans who won’t get seats: They’ll watch the game standing up.

The $29 Party Pass tickets went on sale today for the Cowboys’ first two pre-season games and two regular season contests in the new stadium. The home opener is Sept. 20 against the New York Giants.

“Demand is going to be very high because you only get one chance at history, and for your die-hard Joe Sixpack Cowboys fan, $29 is a fantastic price point,” said Zach Anderson, chief operating officer of Ticketcity Inc., an Austin, Texas-based ticket broker.

The goal is to sell 15,000 to 35,000 of the passes for each of the four games, Jones said when announcing the plan last week. Passes for more games will be sold later.

“It’s a good price; I couldn’t afford more,” said Anthony Adams, 25, of Dallas, who was recently laid off from his job and bought a pass for $51 from an online broker. “I’m a big Cowboys fan and I thought it would be cool to say I was at the opening game.”

With 180,000 square feet (17,000 square meters) of free space, the stadium can accommodate more standing-room-only fans than any other NFL venue. The open areas are behind seats in each end zone and on a series of six elevated platforms connected by stairways.

“More fans can be at the stadium and, although they won’t all have a seat, they will definitely be a part of the action and experience on game day,” Jones said.

Video Board

Standing fans will get an assist from a 72-by-160-foot (22- by-49-meter) video board hanging over the field. The board is the largest in the world, according to its manufacturer, Tokyo- based Mitsubishi Electric Corp.

That may not be enough, said Hank Wendorf, owner of Dallas- based Ticketsource.com. At a recent soccer game at the Cowboys’ stadium, only the first two or three rows of people had a direct view from the platforms, he said.

“You leave to get a drink and your spot is gone,” Wendorf said. No other NFL team is selling anywhere close to the number of standing seats that the Cowboys are, he said.

The NFL drew its biggest U.S. attendance at Super Bowl XIV on Jan. 20, 1980, according to the league’s Web site. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams were watched by 103,985 spectators at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

“We do think there will be more people there than there’s ever been in this country at an NFL football game,” Jones, 66, said of the home opener.

Most seats in the Cowboys’ new stadium were sold through season passes, according to the team’s Web site. The cheapest single-game tickets, at $75 and $99, are sold out for the season. A limited number of single-game tickets are available for $129 to $239.

While 7,400 seats remain available for the Cowboys-Giants game, it’s expected to sell out, said Sean Pate, a spokesman for StubHub, an EBay Inc. unit that matches online ticket sellers and buyers. The highest-priced ticket StubHub sold for the game was $4,900, he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Mary Schlangenstein

Hall Of Fame
    yeah, until the fire marshal gets a hold of his ass.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    yeah, until the fire marshal gets a hold of his ass.

Actually, Citizen's Bank the Phillies ballpark does this in the outfield and it's really popular.

meanwhile if woody did it, this board would say he was a greedy owner charging people to stand

The best way to make it the most effecient would be to sell $3 domestic drinks through the first three quarters available only to the standing crowd.

It's going to be very cost effecient and it would make the fans so happy they may even consider making it a mainstay, not to mention that it would entice them to actually want to come in the first place. It's a great way for a bump in revenue that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post

Actually, Citizen's Bank the Phillies ballpark does this in the outfield and it's really popular.
    CitiField was built contemplating standing room only....I don't know if they've every actually done it yet because the demand isn't quite there, but every time I've gone to a game, almost 40% of the time is spent hanging out in the OF. If you get one of those standing bar tables, its a great way to enjoy a game.

Veteran
    $25/seat x 25,000 x 8 games = $5,000,000

Great move and works out well for both parties. Why don't the Jets try this and get us a receiver?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    CitiField was built contemplating standing room only....I don't know if they've every actually done it yet because the demand isn't quite there, but every time I've gone to a game, almost 40% of the time is spent hanging out in the OF. If you get one of those standing bar tables, its a great way to enjoy a game.
    Isn't QUITE there? Take a quick look over at stubhub. I just saw a Mets game Monday in $115 seats that I got for $32

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by oh well okay View Post
    meanwhile if woody did it, this board would say he was a greedy owner charging people to stand
    Make no mistake - it is greed. I did SRO in Gillette once. Never again. If you are not on the rail you cannot see. If you leave for a beer, bathroom, etc - say good bye to your spot.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Make no mistake - it is greed. I did SRO in Gillette once. Never again. If you are not on the rail you cannot see. If you leave for a beer, bathroom, etc - say good bye to your spot.
    Personally I wouldn't do it, but Philly's loving it and I have a feeling if you can get the majority of the people a decent view, I think it's a great opportunity for more FANS to get in, which is nice because at the end of the day, we want people to come cheer the team on. 25,000 more screaming fans would be that much more of a home field advantage, imagine that magnified in a dome?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Baseball is different. Baseball stadiums have bleacher seating, so unless the game is absolutely sold out there really is no need for SRO. Football stadiums have no comparably priced seating.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I read an article about the luxury suites at the new stadium - 900K for the season, $60 for a six pack of beer, $90 for a pizza

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Baseball is different. Baseball stadiums have bleacher seating, so unless the game is absolutely sold out there really is no need for SRO. Football stadiums have no comparably priced seating.
    See my only question is, where do you find room for 25,000 people? That's no short order.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by oh well okay View Post
    only if he instituted a personal feet licsence.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    eagles have standing room tix.......as far as knowing about football and winning trophies(just not in a decade),jones is real good.but as far as running a circus, and getting every penny out of a new stadium jeff lurie is at the top.which i could give two chits about,caus i'm into lombardi trophies.and the link is capable of having people stand, not ours.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

See my only question is, where do you find room for 25,000 people? That's no short order.
    You have a vision and you design accordingly.

The mega screen, the standing room sections - this was all part of Jones' vision in creating this sports palace.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Good point. There has to be some limit on the # of people allowed in the stadium. In the event of an evacuation it would be pandemonium with just the regulars, never mind adding SRO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    eagles have standing room tix.......as far as knowing about football and winning trophies(just not in a decade),jones is real good.but as far as running a circus, and getting every penny out of a new stadium jeff lurie is at the top.which i could give two chits about,caus i'm into lombardi trophies.
    Jones has revolutionized sports ownership. He is Steinbrenner 3.0. Now that he has this new football mecca.... look out.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You have a vision and you design accordingly.

The mega screen, the standing room sections - this was all part of Jones' vision in creating this sports palace.
    Oh, without a doubt. I don't think though that it was such a move of selfishness as being proclaimed by some people on here. It's a deal that works out for both parties, unfortunately the scalpers will hike these up too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    only if he instituted a personal feet licsence.