Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: How hard will it be?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160

    How hard will it be?

    How hard will it be for you Jets fans to go into the season with lowered expectations?
    While all of us want the Jets to make the playoffs, the odds of that happening with a rookie QB has been proven to be very difficult.

    The success of Ryan & Flacco last year does give us some hope.

    Here's the thing, what if the Jets surprise us & start the season 2-2? Never has the beginning of a season been so important to the Jets. Sanchez just seems to me the consumate gym rat, that will always strive to be better. This makes me think that just like his entire football career he will get better with experience.

    If he has any success this year, it will certainly bode well for the future considering that he only started 16 games in his college career. In football, that's like going to the pros from high school in basketball!

    I'm certainly less pessimistic about our chances this year then some others on this board & here are my reasons:
    Miami & Buffalo- I just don't think they are that good!

    We have some things working for us against these rivalries this year:
    Buffalos Oline- Not a good year to change all 5 players with Rex Ryan & Belichick in the division. Saw Vickerson from the titans jack up they're young guard & throw him into the QB? Vickerson is not even a starter! Bills oline will have they're hands full with Jenkins & the Jets blitzing backers.

    Miami- Bottom line is this- WE HAVE TO STOP THEIR RUN GAME, PERIOD!
    Jets defenders are no longer playing catch. They will attack the seams with run blitzes. Everything that Rex Ryan preaches goes against Chad Penningtons game. Chad WILL be forced to beat us with his arm, he will get hit & if we get a lead, he won't be left to be all comfotable in the pocket!

    That's my take on the division- Pats will be very good & I just don't think we will be able to score enough points to beat them. We'll need some special teams magic & maybe some defensive turnovers to have a chance at picking them off.

    I'd like to read how other poster think we size up to the other teams on our schedule.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,366
    you never know,but, no matter who the starter is this could be a 2 to 3 year deal till we see the playoffs.don't forget one team was 11-5 last year and diidn't get in.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    Lowered expectations? Not me. I expect this team to make the playoffs, anything less will be a failed season. This team has enough good players and what should be a quality defense to make the playoffs. No freaking free rides.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    "Sort of" hard.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Semi-hard

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    How hard will it be for you Jets fans to go into the season with lowered expectations?
    There are no lowered expectations. Anyone who says there are, is making excuses for The Franchez already.

    We have a "Franchise" QB that I am told is any number of florid words for "amazing". We should have a top 5 O-line, a very capable running game, and a Top-10 Defense.

    There are no excuses for "lowered expectations" in 2009.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    There are no lowered expectations. Anyone who says there are, is making excuses for The Franchez already.

    We have a "Franchise" QB that I am told is any number of florid words for "amazing". We should have a top 5 O-line, a very capable running game, and a Top-10 Defense.

    There are no excuses for "lowered expectations" in 2009.
    LOL

    You really have it out for Sanchez, don't you?

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Lowered expectations? Not me. I expect this team to make the playoffs, anything less will be a failed season. This team has enough good players and what should be a quality defense to make the playoffs. No freaking free rides.
    I felt the same way at one point, then I let all the talking heads get to me.
    I have sirius radio & listen to teh NFL network

    It would be SWEET if the Jets are the surprise team of the year because NO ONE thinks they will be.

    Staying Healthy again is the KEY & stopping the run is imperative when breaking in a rookie QB, many more 3 & outs in the beginning of the season.

    One thing I will say & maybe I'm out of my mind, but I think when Pace comes back the NY Jets will have the one of the most talented & deep Linebacking cores in the NFL.
    Scott- Harris- Thomas- Pace- Murrell- Westerman- Trusnik- Gholston

    I personally think Rex & Pettine are salivating over what they can do with the back end of this defense! They have a SHUT DOWN corner in Revis, Lito, Lowery, Strickland, Leonard, Rhodes, ihedigbo.

    It will take some time but they can be VERY CREATIVE as a lot of these guys can be rotated in, Harris & Scott are interchangable, Revis & Lowery can be GREAT blitzers. The QBs for the opposing teams will be HIT!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

    You really have it out for Sanchez, don't you?
    No more than any number of people who have annointed this guy with out him taking a snap in anger.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No more than any number of people who have annointed this guy with out him taking a snap in anger.
    I think just the fact that Sanchez is "even" with Clemens who has been in this system for 4 years tells you something about his talent & work ethic.

    I kinda get the feeling had Sanchez been in the system for 4 years, Clemens would be cleaning out his locker already.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,796
    it is really hard to tell right now, and we'll obviously know a lot more in the upcoming weeks but all I can say for now is the the first quarter of the season is looking brutal. I dont think its too much of a stretch to say that we may be going into that Monday night game with one win, if any.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,096
    Turgid.

    (oh, I thought this was the One Word Only Thread)

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

    You really have it out for Sanchez, don't you?
    Not in the least. I have nothing but the deepest hope (hope, not Faith) that The FRanchez will eb everything the drooling masses have predicted he will be or already is, i.e. a "Franchise Quarterback" we can rely on the stabilize and man the position for th enext 8-10 years, playing at a high-level-of-play.

    I am especially hopeful, the more I see Clemens repeating the "Ramsey Effect" in Camp, tools and talent with no mental toughness or abillity to grind out a competition.

    However, I refuse to allow the drooling masses to wax poetic about the brilliance that is the Franchez right now, then try and make excuse (both before he tales a single snap in a meaningful game) as to why we fans must suffer through "lowered expectations" in 2009.

    If the D, the O-line and the Running Game is what I expect it to be, we have every reason to expect The Franchez to lead us to a winning season here in 2009.

    No excuses. Bring a "rookie" doesn't cut it, if it did then he should be riding the pine and learning, because if being a rookie is teh reason we are uncompetative, then he plain old wasn't ready to start.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    5,087
    I expect a much significantly improved defence (with the exception of Eric Smith). I always felt our greatest weakness on defence is our abilty to stop 3rd down conversions, next to allowing offences to take 7-9 yard chunks by the passing game.

    I am worried about Jenkins this season. He came off the field often in the latter half of the season last year. And his 'injury' in camp gets me a little nervous.

    But I expect this team to not only dominate both the Fins & Bills, but to finally put NE on notice. But Im not feeling playoff caliber just yet from this years team.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    There are no lowered expectations. Anyone who says there are, is making excuses for The Franchez already.

    We have a "Franchise" QB that I am told is any number of florid words for "amazing". We should have a top 5 O-line, a very capable running game, and a Top-10 Defense.

    There are no excuses for "lowered expectations" in 2009.
    man, you sound like you have some sort of agenda?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    How hard will it be
    Depends on how hot she is really...

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post
    it is really hard to tell right now, and we'll obviously know a lot more in the upcoming weeks but all I can say for now is the the first quarter of the season is looking brutal. I dont think its too much of a stretch to say that we may be going into that Monday night game with one win, if any.
    I could be wrong, but I see the Jets being a TOUGH OPPONENT for the Texans. The Jets will run the ball & the Jets will BLITZ, ALOT!

    I'm kinda seeing a Seattle situation, Parcells 1st game on the road.

    The Jaguars were totally beat up last year on their Oline, Indy was just scraping by teams last year, we kicked the Titans *ss on the road.

    I think this Texas defense went up against some soft Olines. We'll double Williams, run up inside with Richardson blocking, get a lead, & let Shonn Greene finish them off with his coming out party.

    I really do believe that the Jets will be a much more overall physical team compared to the Texans.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    There are no lowered expectations. Anyone who says there are, is making excuses for The Franchez already.

    We have a "Franchise" QB that I am told is any number of florid words for "amazing". We should have a top 5 O-line, a very capable running game, and a Top-10 Defense.

    There are no excuses for "lowered expectations" in 2009.
    come on, fish..

    for a QB drafted top 5, he has to be considered a 'franchise' QB. no question about it. so forgive some around here if they're overly excited about having a potential elite QB - afterall, when was the last time we could say that about our QB?

    now.. as far as expectations go - the majority of the board seems to understand that most rookie QBs struggle, and struggle mightily. the hope, of course, is that after the initial struggles, that he develops into an eventual pro bowl quality player down the line.

    you don't have to educate me on the success/ failure ratio of 1st round QBs or show me any #s from 1st round picks as 1st year starters - i'm familiar with the stats. i get it. so do most fans. you also don't have to point to USC's schedule or Sanchez's limited playing time. we all get that.

    what seems to be an issue with you is your fellow jets fans excited about the potential of our rookie QB. well.. what else would you expect? of course we're excited. we're rooting for the guy to become the player that some scouts, analysts and coaches seem to think he can be... why this bothers you, who knows..

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    come on, fish..

    for a QB drafted top 5, he has to be considered a 'franchise' QB. no question about it. so forgive some around here if they're overly excited about having a potential elite QB - afterall, when was the last time we could say that about our QB?

    now.. as far as expectations go - the majority of the board seems to understand that most rookie QBs struggle, and struggle mightily. the hope, of course, is that after the initial struggles, that he develops into an eventual pro bowl quality player down the line.

    you don't have to educate me on the success/ failure ratio of 1st round QBs or show me any #s from 1st round picks as 1st year starters - i'm familiar with the stats. i get it. so do most fans. you also don't have to point to USC's schedule or Sanchez's limited playing time. we all get that.

    what seems to be an issue with you is your fellow jets fans excited about the potential of our rookie QB. well.. what else would you expect? of course we're excited. we're rooting for the guy to become the player that some scouts, analysts and coaches seem to think he can be... why this bothers you, who knows..


    My thoughts exactly. Of course our fanbase is excited. This is the highest we've drafted a QB since Namath back in '65. The Jets finally had the balls to make a move on a potential franchise QB and it's a move that has been long overdue.

    For years we've tried to develop late rounders/undrafted free agents and brought in numerous veteran castoffs. Now we finally have a young guy who seems to have a good head on his shoulders with potential that is basically limitless.

    If guys like Fish want to sit there and mope and constantly expect the worse, then so be it.

    Me? I'm not toning down my excitement in the least. This is the first time in my 25+ years of being a fan that we have a bluechip prospect behind center. If this kid pans out the way we think he will, then we'll be in Superbowl contention for many years to come.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 08-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,129
    When I saw the thread title I was thinking someone was asking SAR I about
    sitting on the throne with his Fathead of Sanchez on the bathroom wall...


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us