Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JMO: Clowney is not ready...........

JMO: Clowney is not ready...........

David Clowney had success last year in pre-season against second stringers. It was enough to stir a buzz and get fans excited. He was injured and when he returned did not show enough for Mangini to put him on the field in important spots. I remember him catching a few passes and sitting much of the time. I thought to myself that there has to be a reason for this other than Mangini being Mangini.

Fast foward to this pre season and their were a few stories that I thought would be interesting to observe as they played out. IMO it was the stories of Kellen vs Sanchez, Vernon Gholston, and the battle for the #2 Wr spot were most intriguing. All had drama and intensity written all over them. Would Kellen emerge? Would Sanchez show why he was chosen #5? Did Vernon Gholston really improve? and was David Clowney a legit contender for the #2 spot.

What a story this would be. David Clowney from Green Bay's practice squad becomes the #2 Wr on the JETS, another feather in Tanny's cap but most importantly the issue of a #2 Wr resolved. From what I have observed David Clowney is not ready in many capacities including ability, focus, and maturity.

From all indications David Clowney was very quiet on the field with his production for most of TC. Many drops aloud Chancy Stuckey to emerge as starter while David Clowney was not heard from. I thought to myself "maybe he just wasnt ready" or "maybe he just doesnt have it."

Fast foward to Friday night's game and Sanchez' first pass. A momnet of beauty, and on the other end of it, David Clowney, against first teamers no less. Good for him I thought for the moment, maybe he can be that #2. Later in the game, against second and third stringers he scores a wide open TD for over 40 yards. His reaction in the endzone was a dance that was self centered and inappropriate, it was way too much. IMO he came off as immature. Here is a guy that has done nothing in TC and is fighting for the #2 and is acting like he doesnt belong in the endzone.

This morning's news of David Clowney challenging Bolt to a race underlines it for me. He is not ready. He came into camp with a gift of an opportunity and did not produce on the field. He has one good moment and is challenging the fast man in the world to a race. If I were Rex Ryan, Schotty, the Wr coach and or a vet I'd tell him to shut up and focus on what's important here, catching the ball that he has dropped often in TC.

Challenging Bolt to a race is for the T.O's and Ocho Cinco's of the world. David Clowney is neither. Sorry but this not a good sign. He can change it if he wants too. It's up to him. I hope some vet gets in his ear and tells him to tone it down.

I hope David is the answer, not an ass-clown...........

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    David Clowney had success last year in pre-season against second stringers. It was enough to stir a buzz and get fans excited. He was injured and when he returned did not show enough for Mangini to put him on the field in important spots. I remember him catching a few passes and sitting much of the time. I thought to myself that there has to be a reason for this other than Mangini being Mangini.

Fast foward to this pre season and their were a few stories that I thought would be interesting to observe as they played out. IMO it was the stories of Kellen vs Sanchez, Vernon Gholston, and the battle for the #2 Wr spot were most intriguing. All had drama and intensity written all over them. Would Kellen emerge? Would Sanchez show why he was chosen #5? Did Vernon Gholston really improve? and was David Clowney a legit contender for the #2 spot.

What a story this would be. David Clowney from Green Bay's practice squad becomes the #2 Wr on the JETS, another feather in Tanny's cap but most importantly the issue of a #2 Wr resolved. From what I have observed David Clowney is not ready in many capacities including ability, focus, and maturity.

From all indications David Clowney was very quiet on the field with his production for most of TC. Many drops aloud Chancy Stuckey to emerge as starter while David Clowney was not heard from. I thought to myself "maybe he just wasnt ready" or "maybe he just doesnt have it."

Fast foward to Friday night's game and Sanchez' first pass. A momnet of beauty, and on the other end of it, David Clowney, against first teamers no less. Good for him I thought for the moment, maybe he can be that #2. Later in the game, against second and third stringers he scores a wide open TD for over 40 yards. His reaction in the endzone was a dance that was self centered and inappropriate, it was way too much. IMO he came off as immature. Here is a guy that has done nothing in TC and is fighting for the #2 and is acting like he doesnt belong in the endzone.

This morning's news of David Clowney challenging Bolt to a race underlines it for me. He is not ready. He came into camp with a gift of an opportunity and did not produce on the field. He has one good moment and is challenging the fast man in the world to a race. If I were Rex Ryan, Schotty, the Wr coach and or a vet I'd tell him to shut up and focus on what's important here, catching the ball that he has dropped often in TC.

Challenging Bolt to a race is for the T.O's and Ocho Cinco's of the world. David Clowney is neither. Sorry but this not a good sign. He can change it if he wants too. It's up to him. I hope some vet gets in his ear and tells him to tone it down.

don't really know why this would even matter.

and the headline is misleading.

Hall Of Fame

If nothing else, Clowney can spread the field. DB's have been playing a short field against the Jets for years. He's made some nice catches in pre-season
    and a few in regular season, I believe one was a one-handed stunner. A couple of long tosses to him every game keeps the defenses honest. He can probably pick up a few pass interference calls too. I'm excited about him.

Banned
    All due respect copernicus... he very well may be ready from a skill standpoint, but I think the issue you are taking with him is tied to maturity and the fact that a guy with humble beginnings doesn't know how to act humble.

On those points I agree with you... however I don't see him acting like a child getting in the way of him producing on the field. If that were the case there wouldn't be like 5 wr's in the league.

I think the biggest obstacle for Clowney is avoiding injuries. He's clearly go the speed and ability to get open, and can haul in those deep balls... but can he get up after the collisions? That will be the factor that determines how much he backs up all the talk...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He's as ready as Stuckey and/or Smith. Difference is that Clowney has never gotten a chance to consistently play with first team guys.

All League

Challenging Bolt was a joke....right?

I mean this guy doesn't REALLY think the fastest man in the world is going to accept a one-on-one race with some marginal NFL player who no one (other than us ) has heard of, does he?

Until proven otherwise, I'm just going to assume Clowney was joking around on twitter and put out this pretend "challenge." It may be a bit immature, but that's a lot better than totally delusional.

I think you're making too much of this stuff. While maturity is nice, it's far from being a pre-requisite to success in the NFL. If he can consistently get open and catches passes (still a big question mark), a little gyrating in the end zone shouldn't keep him off the field.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 08-18-2009 at 11:25 AM.

All Pro
    Rex wants his players to have bravado..Look at all the talking Rex is doing, his father was the same way..Nothing wrong with that imo..The Jets need it! As long as they back it up, which Clowney has done when given the chance.

If not Clowney then who? Stuckey is a given to start at slot..Can Stucky make the big plays that Clowney made? Brad Smith, Wallace Wright starting as the number 2? I love ya Cop, but putting those guys ahead of Clowney hurts the team, and they don't give Sanchez the downfield threat he made a living off in college...

Rex went out of his way in the press conferance after friday nights game to say the Rams obviously didn't study Clowney on film, and had no clue about his speed. A little dig at Spags.

I could tell already that Clowney is one of Rex's guys.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 08-18-2009 at 11:44 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Rex wants his players to have bravado..Look at all the talking Rex is doing, his father was the same way..Nothing wrong with that imo..The Jets need it!

If Clowney isn't ready then who? Stuckey is a given to start at slot..Can Stucky make the big plays that Clowney made? Brad Smith, Wallace Wright starting as the number 2? I love ya Cop, but putting those guys ahead of Clowney hurts the team, and they don't give Sanchez the downfield threat he made a living off in college...

Rex went out of his way in the press conferance after friday nights game to say the Rams obviously didn't study Clowney on film, and had no clue about his speed. A little dig at Spags.

I could tell already that Clowney is one of Rex's guys.
    No question about it -- Clowney is who we should all be routing for to step into the #2 because his speed could add another element to the Jets O. Of course, he needs to prove that he can catch consistently and stay healthy. Those are both still big question marks -- but he's earned the right to a chance with his gameday performances.

On a side note, I'm guessing Rex's comment about the Rams not studying him on film was tongue in cheek. None of these teams study film on pre-season opponents -- particularly not marginal receivers like Clowney. I don't think Rex was taking a dig at Spags or the Rams.

Banned
    I would think that someone namedl Copernicus would know that it's ALLOWED instead of aloud. The real Copernicus would. Well, he would know it in Polish at least.

Who's to say what's appropriate for each person's TD celebration? It's the NFL for god's sake. These guys should have fun and taunt one another. Makes the game fun. After all, it's not Notre Dame where you're supposed to just hand the ball to the ref when you score.

Next you'll be saying that his dredlocks stick too far out of his helmet.

Lighten up, Francis.

Rookie

I cant believe I wasted my time reading this. Your a dope

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King Chrebet View Post
    I cant believe I wasted my time reading this. Your a dope
    +1

So because he did a "self centered" end zone dance and posted a quote on "twitter" he's not ready to be a #2 receiver?

Got it, thanks.

Horrible post man, just horrible.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am all for confidence and a little bit of bravado. I agree that this team needed a shot of it and Rex was the perfect fit.

My concern is not about showing emotion or bravado from a team perspective, I just thought that Clowney has not earned it from. From all indications he's had a terrible camp. On top of it, his TD celebration was just, IMHO, way to much and very rehearsed. Confidence: yes! Bravado: yes! Expressing it: yes! Touchdown celebration with teammates: yes! Touchdown celebration by yourself in the form of a rehearsed dance: not my style. Challenging the fastest man in the world to a race when there is no gaurentee that there is a spot on the team for Clowney is immature, distracting and embarassing. If you tell me that after the game, Clowney challenged was outspoken about being the #2 Wr on the JETS I could accept that more.

IMHO challenging Bolt to a race and having a rehearsed dance for a pre season TD is not "bravado." Just seems self centered and IMHO those characteristics do not translate into champions................again just my humble opinion.

Banned
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am all for confidence and a little bit of bravado. I agree that this team needed a shot of it and Rex was the perfect fit.

My concern is not about showing emotion or bravado from a team perspective, I just thought that Clowney has not earned it from. From all indications he's had a terrible camp. On top of it, his TD celebration was just, IMHO, way to much and very rehearsed. Confidence: yes! Bravado: yes! Expressing it: yes! Touchdown celebration with teammates: yes! Touchdown celebration by yourself in the form of a rehearsed dance: not my style. Challenging the fastest man in the world to a race when there is no gaurentee that there is a spot on the team for Clowney is immature, distracting and embarassing. If you tell me that after the game, Clowney challenged was outspoken about being the #2 Wr on the JETS I could accept that more.

IMHO challenging Bolt to a race and having a rehearsed dance for a pre season TD is not "bravado." Just seems self centered and IMHO those characteristics do not translate into champions................again just my humble opinion.
    Maybe if you weren't such a pseudo-intellectual you'd have a better appreciation for something fun. Not to mention letting a guy try to make a buck off his own notoriety.

Oh and it's Descartes BTW, not DesCartes

Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    I would think that someone namedl Copernicus would know that it's ALLOWED instead of aloud. The real Copernicus would. Well, he would know it in Polish at least.

Who's to say what's appropriate for each person's TD celebration? It's the NFL for god's sake. These guys should have fun and taunt one another. Makes the game fun. After all, it's not Notre Dame where you're supposed to just hand the ball to the ref when you score.

Next you'll be saying that his dredlocks stick too far out of his helmet.

Lighten up, Francis.
    LOL, thanks for the grammar lesson........

As far a TD celebrations. The two that do it the most are detrimental team. TO and Chad Johnson are cancers to their respective teams and also really good players who catch the football. David Clowney has not been a really good NFL player and already is emulating all the wrong things about them. I really only noticed this recently.

Dredlocks are fine, and celebrating success is all good as well. Just didnt hear much from Clowney's mouth or "twitter page" about how he was going to improve his game for his team when he was dropping passes all TC..................

Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    Maybe if you weren't such a pseudo-intellectual you'd have a better appreciation for something fun. Not to mention letting a guy try to make a buck off his own notoriety.

Oh and it's Descartes BTW, not DesCartes
    VS, what's with all the hostility? We are rooting for the same team, maybe you should take your own advice and "lighten up."

I'd really like to discuss this because I am a believer that selfishness never translates into championships. Not saying that Clowney is self centered player but after these last few days he is closer to being what TO and Chad Johnson bring in the negative way than not. Would you agree that this team does not need self centered players but confident ones?

The one thing that I can take from this post and disagree with is "letting a guy try to make a buck off his own noteriety." If any player is worried about "making a buck" by doing something that is not focussed on winning a championship then he is not for me. There are numerous examples of players that had other interests and their talent or maturity level was not enough to overcome it. Johnny Mitchell is one that comes to mind. High round pick for us that also wanted to be a male model. Was out of the league well before what his talent dictated. ................

Banned
    LOL, thanks for the grammar lesson........

As far a TD celebrations. The two that do it the most are detrimental team. TO and Chad Johnson are cancers to their respective teams and also really good players who catch the football. David Clowney has not been a really good NFL player and already is emulating all the wrong things about them. I really only noticed this recently.

Dredlocks are fine, and celebrating success is all good as well. Just didnt hear much from Clowney's mouth or "twitter page" about how he was going to improve his game for his team when he was dropping passes all TC..................
    They're spelling lessons actually. Your grammar is atrocious as well though.

The kid is trying to make his way in the league. Sure you want a guy to act like he's been there, but I think the score itself is still the important thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jeez, people actually believe that he is really calling out Bolt to a race?

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    Challenging Bolt was a joke....right?

I mean this guy doesn't REALLY think the fastest man in the world is going to accept a one-on-one race with some marginal NFL player who no one (other than us ) has heard of, does he?

Until proven otherwise, I'm just going to assume Clowney was joking around on twitter and put out this pretend "challenge." It may be a bit immature, but that's a lot better than totally delusional.

I think you're making too much of this stuff. While maturity is nice, it's far from being a pre-requisite to success in the NFL. If he can consistently get open and catches passes (still a big question mark), a little gyrating in the end zone shouldn't keep him off the field.
    I can buy that. There is a possibility that I am over reacting and maybe Clowney is just having a bit of fun. From the reaction I am getting from the board I could be reading all of this the wrong way. Guess I learned through sports at an early age that you dont taunt the opponent but celebrate your teams success. There is a fine line. IMHO, Clowney went a bit overboard with the TD celebration and now "twitter challenge" as opposed to his lack of production up until the present.

Again, I could be reading this the wrong way and over reacting. Just discussing.............

All Pro
    ridiculous thread..

If he's catching balls and running routes... then he's ready to play for the Jets.