Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barring a Disaster vs. the Ravens, Sanchez has ALREADY WON the #1 QB Job (Opinion)

JetsInsider.com Legend

Barring a Disaster vs. the Ravens, Sanchez has ALREADY WON the #1 QB Job (Opinion)

It's very simple, actually.

Sanchez gets the start in game #2 vs. the Ravens. If he plays even moderately well, nothing Kellen Clemens could do against the Ravens second (or third) teamers would be impressive enough to change the course now.

Barring a huge failure (like 2-12 with 2 INT's or somesuch), Sanchez is now (IMO) a lock to be our opening day starter.

Ryan will not allow the competition to go beyond the 2nd preseason game, he may be a rookie Head Coach, but he knows your starting QB requires that 3rd P.S. game to have any chance to be ready for opening day, and whilst Ryan probably knows his team won't be great in 2009, he will staill coach to win them all.

So that leaves Sanchez haveing defeated Clemens in P.S. Game 1, by all reports in practice this camp (even if only by a small margin) and he gets the P.S. Game 2 start, and the majority of the time (I predict) vs. the opposing #1's.

Clemens is finished in New York as a potential starter. Sanchez will not have an uber-fail vs. the Ravens, Clemens won't do nearly enough vs. their #2's, and Sanchez will have defeated Clemens in both pre-season games and practice, and Ryans validation for naming him the opening day starter will be complete.

Many fans wanted it, and you're going to get it. The Franchez starting in New York from Day 1, having earned it on the field. A PR win, a marketing win, a front office/staff validation win and an on-the-field-in-camp win.

So the new day is here. Let the rejoicing or the teeth knashing for the regular season commence.
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-21-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Sanchez gets the start in game #2 vs. the Ravens. If he plays even moderately well, nothing Kellen Clemens could do against the Ravens second (or third) teamers would be impressive enough to change the course now.

Barring a huge failure (like 2-12 with 2 INT's or somesuch), Sanchez is now (IMO) a lock to be our opening day starter.

Ryan will not allow the competition to go beyond the 2nd preseason game, he may be a rookie Head Coach, but he knows your starting QB requires that 3rd P.S. game to have any chance to be ready for opening day, and whilst Ryan probably knows his team won't be great in 2009, he will staill coach to win them all.

So that leaves Sanchez haveing defeated Clemens in P.S. Game 1, by all reports in practice this camp (even if only by a small margin) and he gets the P.S. Game 2 start, and the majority of the time (I predict) vs. the opposing #1's.

Clemens is finished in New York as a potential starter. Sanchez will not have an uber-fail vs. the Ravens, Clemens won't do nearly enough vs. their #2's, and Sanchez will have defeated Clemens in both pre-season games and practice, and Ryans validation for naming him the opening day starter will be complete.

Many fans wanted it, and you're going to get it. The Franchez starting in new York from Day 1, having earned it on the field. A PR win, a marketing win, a front office/staff validation win and an on-the-field-in-camp win.

So the new day is here. Let the rejoicing or the teeth knashing for the regular season commence.
    My opinion is that we'll know who the #1 QB is by 12 AM Monday night.

We know which way the Jets brass wants to go, but if Clemens is lights out against the Ravens D, all bets are off.

Veteran
    +1

Agreed. He won the job as opposed to it being handed to him. This will get respect from the players, which he will need. I see him being a true leader going forward. Let's hope the learning curve is swift. It could be painful, but there's no turning back.

All Pro
    I agree. If Sanchez does well the media espcially, will be all over it declaring him the starter practically.

Fish I know you were pushing for Clemens, do you feel if Sanchez has a decent game Monday and so does Clemens, that Sanchez should be named the starter? Or rather have Clemens start the season?

To me it would suck if Sanchez bombs Monday and Clemens looks good. Not because I don't want Clemens to start or anything but then it's just like its going back and forth and there is no real clear cut leader at QB who is taking it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

well, if Sanchez does look good against the Ravens, he probably deserves to start - which is what most fans wanted - namely, that Sanchez 'earned' the job, or at least looked good 'earning' it no matter how unfair the competition may have been.

i also think most fans have set reasonable expectations for Sanchez. He's a rookie QB. Rookie QBs struggle. He's going to throw some bad picks. He's going to look bad losing some games. But hopefully, he'll grow as a QB and improve over the course of the season.

The bottom line for me is, if Sanchez gets the job, can improve over the season and shows signs of being a franchise QB, and keeps the Jets competitive, then this year has been a success.

Hall Of Fame
    clemens hasn't demonstrated that he is starting qb material for any team, let alone the jets. assuming clemens is not on the jets next season, his chances of landing a starting gig elsewhere will be hampered by the qb talent that will be drafted in the first round. clemens had trouble beating out ratliff for the backup qb job. just b/c the guy was a 2nd rounder doesn't mean he's starting material.

Hall Of Fame

Many fans wanted it, and you're going to get it. The Franchez starting in New York from Day 1, having earned it on the field. A PR win, a marketing win, a front office/staff validation win and an on-the-field-in-camp win.

Did you mean to say "we're"?

Or was the "you're" intentional?

Just busting chops Fish, all along you've said whoever earns it on the field gets the nod.

BTW, I haven't had a good knish in a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

Just busting chops Fish, all along you've said whoever earns it on the field gets the nod.

BTW, I haven't had a good knish in a while.
    oh, that was quite intentional.. just wait for Sanchez's 3 INT game vs the Pats for an epic 'i told you so' post..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Fish I know you were pushing for Clemens, do you feel if Sanchez has a decent game Monday and so does Clemens, that Sanchez should be named the starter?
    If the play of both players is similar on Monday, then yes, I would start Sanchez. As others have stated, a "tie" goes to the player with more potential, higher draft spot, higher salary and a more clear-cut future with the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

The "you're" was intentional, but perhaps not for the reasons you seem to think. Many fans here were pushing for Sanchez to start regardless if he outperformed Clemens on the field or not. And the vast majority were pulling for Sanchez from the outset to win the job.

So when I say "they", I refer to these fans, not posters like myself, who simply were adamant "best player playing the best plays".

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    oh, that was quite intentional.. just wait for Sanchez's 3 INT game vs the Pats for an epic 'i told you so' post..
    Why? It's all but guaranteed that Sanchez will have a diffiuclt, learning-experience-filled season, regardless if he starts Day 1 or Week 6, or 8 or 10. I am sure he will have a multiple INT game, if not more than one. Predicting that is like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow....nothing to crow about.

But be assured, when The Franchez is named starter, having earned the job on the field as I demanded (as a fan) he be made to do, he gets my support, and I will root my gigantic fat arse off for him to succeed. Doesn't mean I won't be objective about him, or criticial if critical is warranted, but I WILL support him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I've been hoping for Clemens to be the one to win this competition from the beginning, as I think that is what would be best for the team in the long run - not because I have any hate for Sanchez (who is the future of this team). If Clemens could prove that he's the starter, it would give Sanchez a year to learn on the bench, an option to fall back on should Clemens fail, and the potential to recoup something of value for Clemens after the season.

But, I can't really argue with annointing Sanchez the starter - assuming he doesnt' sh!t the bed against the Ravens. Although (from reports), he's had some growing pains, he seems to be the one making more of the plays in camp. If Kellen can't put this kid in the rear mirror as a 4 yr vet, he truly shouldn't be starting.

I've tried to rationalize and justify why KC hasn't performed in the limited chances he's received, but at the end of the day, he simply hasn't. Granted, his chances haven't been in ideal spots, but he has had the chance on several occasions to show that he's the guy for the job, and he really hasn't come through.

In my mind, Sanchez is probably the right move.

Hall Of Fame
    This Ravens game is the key and I think (hunch) that Sanchez knows it.

Sanchez, thus far, has stepped up when he needed to (to close minicamp, PS game 1, and to close training camp). I hope he can step up again on Monday night.

Hall Of Fame
    Why does everyone assume the Jets won't be great this year?

Everyone and their dog dumped all over Favre after last year and couldn't get rid of him fast enough. This team has more depth at RB, a soild o-line, the same defence as last year except healthier, with more experience and more depth in the secondary. (the loss of pace will hurt). Solid special teams.

The sched is tough but the Jets beat a lot of good teams last year. We also have what I think is a better coaching staff and defensive philosophy.

Expectations should be reasonably high for this team. I do not expect Sanchez to totally bomb out and be terrible, there is no reason for him to be terrible with our run game and defense.

I expect a playoff spot, anything else will be a disappointment unless we are racked with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    well, if Sanchez does look good against the Ravens, he probably deserves to start - which is what most fans wanted - namely, that Sanchez 'earned' the job, or at least looked good 'earning' it no matter how unfair the competition may have been.

i also think most fans have set reasonable expectations for Sanchez. He's a rookie QB. Rookie QBs struggle. He's going to throw some bad picks. He's going to look bad losing some games. But hopefully, he'll grow as a QB and improve over the course of the season.

The bottom line for me is, if Sanchez gets the job, can improve over the season and shows signs of being a franchise QB, and keeps the Jets competitive, then this year has been a success.
    Agreed.

Everyone was wondering why, after Sanchez's performance in the Green and White game, Clemens got the start against the Rams. It was so Ryan could give each QB a fair chance while setting up Sanchez for a REAL test as starter against the Ravens. I think everything is coming together nicely for Sanchez and, yes, if he plays moderately well to great in the Ravens game, there's no reason not to name him the starter.

And I like that fans seem to have more reasonable expectations for Sanchez, too. We're not all annointing him the next Joe Montana or Tom Brady, nor are we even assuming a playoff berth this season. We just want to see promise and elements of success this year, evidence that we've finally drafted a franchise QB and hired a coach that can mold us into contenders every year.

All Pro
    So do you think Clemens quits football once Sanchez is named the starter? I mean cmon, he has already had doubts about playing once before, this could be the icing on the cake!!

Or maybe he will come to terms that he is just a back up in this league.

Never doubted that Sanchez was/is the better QB. But just timewise...when is it the best situation for him to play.

If the Jets braintrust thinks Mark is seasoned enough that he can handle it, then we'll see him in Wk#1.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    because a rookie QB is unlikely to perform consistantly throughout the year.

Remember the NFL season is 16 games long. Sanchez has started 16 games total over 2 years at USC. Even if he's awesome he's probably going to hit some kind of rookie wall... at some point. To expect otherwise is wishful thinking.

Re: Warfish original post

What choice did the Jets really have? Clemens had to be awesome to take this job. It's not like they were choosing between 2 really good options.

All Pro

Everyone and their dog dumped all over Favre after last year and couldn't get rid of him fast enough. This team has more depth at RB, a soild o-line, the same defence as last year except healthier, with more experience and more depth in the secondary. (the loss of pace will hurt). Solid special teams.

The sched is tough but the Jets beat a lot of good teams last year. We also have what I think is a better coaching staff and defensive philosophy.

Expectations should be reasonably high for this team. I do not expect Sanchez to totally bomb out and be terrible, there is no reason for him to be terrible with our run game and defense.

I expect a playoff spot, anything else will be a disappointment unless we are racked with injuries.
    To be great? Eh that's a little too much too soon. I think the Jets can be pretty good if the QB plays well and isn't a complete mess. Otherwise I'd say we can compete with teams for a playoff spot.

I just don't think they will be as healthy as they were last year for some reason, and well the AFC East is very tough division. Each team has got better in some way.

But it's definitely going to be an exciting season I think barring any major injuries. I am excited we get to play all these tough teams, I love seeing the Jets go up against top teams and talent like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees.

I guess I try not to set myself up for disappointment, but you're absolutely right. In fact, we should all be in the same mindset as Rex, ie, "We're the Jets and there's nobody we can't beat."

I believe that. I guess I'll feel more confident about all this once we've seen the Rex Ryan Jets play a regular season game. Right now, there's so many unknowns...but you're right Beerfish. We should expect success this year.

Just gotta remember to be patient. Lots of new players, a new starter at QB one way or the other...there are going to be growing pains.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Re: Warfish original post

What choice did the Jets really have? Clemens had to be awesome to take this job. It's not like they were choosing between 2 really good options.
    Quite accurate, as it turns out.

As stated elsewhere, I seem to have a weakness in my Objectivity Shields for the Photon Torpedo that is a hard-luck-big-arm-coulda-should-QB.

Ramsey, obviously. And Clemens. Both physically giften players, who simply melt in uberfail under any form of competition of stress at the Pro-game level.

But also as stated from day one this season, best player plays, and that is (right now) Sanchez. So he should start.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    So do you think Clemens quits football once Sanchez is named the starter? I mean cmon, he has already had doubts about playing once before, this could be the icing on the cake!!

Or maybe he will come to terms that he is just a back up in this league.
    He's going to quit and go work for $60,000 a year