Thread: Haloti Ngata is a beast. We need Jenkins back...and need to find his successor

JetsInsider.com Legend

Haloti Ngata is a beast. We need Jenkins back...and need to find his successor

That is all.

Big man. Middle. Makes Killer D.

All Pro
    I agree. We need to start thinking about drafting a stud D-tackle. I love Jenkins, but he's not getting any younger, and too many D-Lineman is something you can never have.

We'll be far better off with Jenkins...

Regardless of his impact in the 'pass coverage' by the so called experts, he covers two positions in the hole, himself...

That frees up another play to do 'X' 'O' etc...

Our defense was sub par tonight.

Without our two best players.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I agree. We need to start thinking about drafting a stud D-tackle. I love Jenkins, but he's not getting any younger, and too many D-Lineman is something you can never have.
    1. Jenkins is huge and a force in the middle.
    2. He's injury prone.
    3. He's getting older.

The Jets FO entire mission for defense needs to be finding the next Kris Jenkins for our defense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    That is all.

Big man. Middle. Makes Killer D.
    Everyone says Cutler shoulda been the pick over Ferguson but it really should have been Ngata. Tanny probably would have picked Ngata but I guess the D-Rob disaster soured the FO on picking D-line so early again.

JetsFan2012
    It makes such a difference to have a big guy like that in the middle. The entire defense is anchored around him.

Banned
    1. Jenkins is huge and a force in the middle.
    2. He's injury prone.
    3. He's getting older.

The Jets FO entire mission for defense needs to be finding the next Kris Jenkins for our defense.
    No need to worry we have Pouha.

All Pro
    That Green kid played well tonight..I think he backs up Jenkins when all is said and done.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    That Green kid played well tonight..I think he backs up Jenkins when all is said and done.
    uh that kid is the same age as Jenkins....if u were talking about replacing Jenkins when he is gone.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Alan Branch is reportedly on the bubble in Arizona. He seems to be a bust but in our scheme, we might give him a look if he frees up.

http://www.nfl.com/players/careerstats?id=BRA489251

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    We'll be far better off with Jenkins...

Regardless of his impact in the 'pass coverage' by the so called experts, he covers two positions in the hole, himself...

That frees up another play to do 'X' 'O' etc...

Our defense was sub par tonight.

Without our two best players.
    Without Jenkins or Revis? Our defense was fantastic. It may not have looked that way but they kept Flacco's completion rate below 50% and only allowed 7 points in the first half. Our second and third team D only allowed 3 points. The game was lost because our QBs got flustered and threw two pick 6s, when Flacco got hit he took the sack or threw it away.

Banned
    Alan Branch is reportedly on the bubble in Arizona. He seems to be a bust but in our scheme, we might give him a look if he frees up.

http://www.nfl.com/players/careerstats?id=BRA489251
    Branch is worth a shot. Could be a player who benefits from a change of scenery and no way is he worse than Pouha.

My focus in the 2009 Draft was on getting either B.J. Raji or Ron Brace to be the future NT replacement for Jenkins. Well...the consolation prize was Mark Sanchez

Jenkins has a huge impact on a game. Can play DE and be a pass rushing force, or in the middle and be a major disruption and can collapse the pocket.

Last year we all witnessed Jenkins playing injured and fatigued during those final 4-5 games. Causing the defense to greately struggle. And so his replacement needs to be picked in next year's draft for sure.

That's why I don't want to see a #1 pick used to trade for a veteran WR. We need it for NT...and possibly for DE (Ellis is aging too)

Many Jets fans may think that WR will be the #1 pick and priority next year. Not me. WR may not even be a #2. DL needs to be addressed , and IMO, it should be a high priority next year.

All Pro
    i agree

but, just to ask, wasn't ngata playing de? he played nt last year, and did an outstanding job, but with gregg back on the field, i think he moves outside. when gregg retires, ngata will definitely be the full time nt.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    i agree

but, just to ask, wasn't ngata playing de? he played nt last year, and did an outstanding job, but with gregg back on the field, i think he moves outside. when gregg retires, ngata will definitely be the full time nt.
    I was going to ask the same, but didn't want to sound like an idiot.

Banned
    Ngata plays DE...but really any position on that Ravens DL is "space eater" and "line attacker (or something" so really he's just THE dominant big man on that D.

I want a Ngata. Oghobaase in '10.

Veteran
    Ngata plays DE, Gregg plays NT, but Ngata played the nose a bit last year cuz Gregg was hurt

Veteran
    I think Rex compared DeVito to Kelly Gregg (His NT in Baltimore) so maybe that's who were grooming to take over. He has the height but may need to add on some weight.

Thing is...if your fortunate to get a NT with above average athleticism, you usually can play him anywhere on the LOS of a 3-4 D. Many thought that Ron Brace was not flexible enough to play DE. But the Pats have been very pleased with Brace's ability to play the DE and the NT positions. And looks to be in the rotation to play both.

Players like Ngata or Jenkins can be a force at either position. And if Jets have OLB problems replacing Pace. Don't be surprised if Jets play more 4-3 then 3-4. With Jenkins playing both DT/DE with all kinds of player personnel combinations.

The 6-5 Oghobaase is also capable of playing anywhere on a 3-4 DL, and I'd be happy if Jets can get thiis Beast in the 2010 Draft.