Thread: Perhaps this guy as our NEW TE?

All League

Perhaps this guy as our NEW TE?

6'8" 264 lbs. 4th year TE Leonard Pope from the NFC Champ ARZ Cards was cut this evening.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

I'd def take a flyer on this guy, he'd be a great goal-line threat and has the frame to block

Practice Squad
    did u see who else got cut at the bottom of that article, victor hobson hes coming back to new york

All Pro
    ironically, Anthony Becht is one of the guys they kept to cut Pope.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    ironically, Anthony Becht is one of the guys they kept to cut Pope.
    The problem that Pope had was that he couldn't block. not the kind of TE Rex is looking for....

Hall Of Fame
    the problem with pope is that he is not a blocking tight end

Keller is arguably the best pass catching TE in the league and he is already here. I think the guy we signed from the Falcons is fine as a blocking TE for running plays and IMO he is as good at blocking as Baker ever was and neither of them were worth a spit at pass catching.

Veteran
    We already signed Ben Hartsock, he's a blocking TE.

All League
    i used to big the biggest Pope supporter on the board back in the day...hahaha...i still support bringing him in for one role and one role only. Redzone TDs. we still are good awful in the redzone because our WRS just don't have the height to make certain plays. He'd add a much needed element to this offense.

Veteran
    Pope is not a blocker

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Pope is not a blocker
    Doesn't matter, we got our blocking TE, the #3 TE needs to be a solid depth player who can do a little blocking and catching, and is dependable enough to play in 3 TE sets, or back up the first two guys.

Banned
    Pope is a good red-zone threat at 6'7. He caught 5 tds 1 yr as a part-time TE. Not a blocker but if the Jets have extra roster spots due to the suspensions why not.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 09-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Actually the Jets don't need another blocking TE, that's why they signed Hartsock .. and Wayne Hunter is being used as a second blocking TE in the Jumbo Package (SY/GL), so we have a legit blocking TE and an OT who's being used in that role as well

What the Jets really need is a backup for Keller in case he gets hurt, meaning a second receiving TE

So if they think Pope, you was drafted pretty high and is still a young man, can be a servicable #2 receiving TE, bringing him in might make sense.
    Tannenbaum seems to have used the correct strategy on this TE issue. Tanny pounced on Harstock, who was a very good fit for the blocking TE. Pope seems to be a viable alternative, and rumor has it that Ben Watson maybe cut ( Chris Baker beats him out) so there looks like there will be a few TE's available in September. Tanny was patient, drove me crazy, but I think he saved the Jets a couple of bucks, and will get the TE's we need....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the problem with pope is that he is not a blocking tight end

Keller is arguably the best pass catching TE in the league and he is already here. I think the guy we signed from the Falcons is fine as a blocking TE for running plays and IMO he is as good at blocking as Baker ever was and neither of them were worth a spit at pass catching.
    Baker was a decent pass catching TE. Very underrated and very underused in that area IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Pope is a possibility as a backup pass catching TE.

It's telling that Simmons got cut. He was signed as UDFA to be a blocker, but then they put him out there to catch passes. As has been said, Simmons couldn't catch the Swine Flu in a pig farm.

It seems like the Jets always had an eye on the cuts or waiver wire for a blocker and were looking for a pass catching TE on the roster. Simmons failed and they signed Harstock to block (paid him good money too $1.2 million).

So, it's reasonable to assume that they're looking for a 3rd TE who can catch. Watson (if cut) or Pope can fill that role.