Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets accused of tampering with 49ers' first-round pick Michael Crabtree Read more: h

Practice Squad

Jets accused of tampering with 49ers' first-round pick Michael Crabtree Read more: h

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...tampering.html

The Jets' long-running pursuit of a high-profile wide receiver could land them in hot water with the NFL.

The 49ers, embroiled in an acrimonious contract dispute with rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, have filed tampering charges against the Jets, sources told the Daily News. The Jets, through a team spokesman, denied the allegations.

Although the specifics aren't known, it's not hard to connect the dots. Crabtree, the 10th overall pick in the draft, is threatening to sit out the season and reenter the draft in 2010. The 49ers may believe the Jets contacted Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, to let him know they'd be interested in trading for his rights, or in drafting him in 2010 with a better salary than the 49ers are offering. The NFL's trade deadline is Oct.20, while the 49ers must either sign Crabtree by Nov.19, or surrender his rights, putting him back into the draft pool for 2010.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, approached after yesterday's 16-9 win over the Patriots, declined to comment. Tannenbaum has a good relationship with Parker. In 1998, they collaborated on a complicated offer sheet that helped pry Curtis Martin, then a restricted free agent, away from the Patriots.

Teams can be fined money and/or docked draft picks if found guilty of tampering.

In 2006, the Patriots filed charges against the Jets for allegedly tampering with wide receiver Deion Branch, who was on the trading block. The league investigated the claim and wound up exonerating the Jets.

Just recently, the Broncos reportedly were concerned that the Jets had tampered with Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall. The Jets were interested in trading for the disgruntled Marshall, who told the Broncos he wanted to be traded if he didn't receive a new contract. The Broncos never filed formal charges. Marshall, after serving a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, is back with Denver.

This last week was a rough one off the field for the Jets, who were hit hard by the league for failing to report Brett Favre's arm injury last season. The club was fined $75,000, with Tannenbaum and then-coach Eric Mangini getting docked $25,000 apiece.

The Jets are infatuated with big-name receivers. Before the draft, they reached out to Plaxico Burress' agent, when the former Giant's gun charges still were pending. During the draft, they tried to trade up for Percy Harvin, who went to the Vikings.

The Jets loved Crabtree in the draft. He was projected to go higher than 10th, but a pre-draft foot injury probably hurt his stock.

Crabtree was the second receiver selected, behind Darrius Heyward-Bey, a surprise choice of the Raiders at No. 7 overall. Heyward-Bey received a contract with $23.5 million in guarantees, and Crabtree is demanding at least that much.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz0RjwsFySS

Banned
    Gotta Love it.

It means that our team is willing to make itself the best that it can be at any cost. I'm not gonna complain.

Quote Originally Posted by VAJET58 View Post
    Gotta Love it.

It means that our team is willing to make itself the best that it can be at any cost. I'm not gonna complain.
    AS long as they don't get busted. I would hate to lose a 1st round pick. Money I don't care about picks I do.

Banned
    Crabtree's foot should be healed by now, lets see him run the 40.

All Pro
    No knee jerk reaction here. I would without a doubt trade next year's #1 for him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    No knee jerk reaction here. I would without a doubt trade next year's #1 for him.
    32 overall for Crab?? Not a bad deal at all.. Sign me up!

All League
    Do they actually have any proof?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    32 overall for Crab?? Not a bad deal at all.. Sign me up!
    Hehe.... I made the same crack myself in a thread here last week.

Hall Of Fame
    The Niners should make a deal with the Jets. It looks like the well is already poisoned for them with Crabtree and unless they feel like caving in to his demands they are looking at getting nothing at all for him. If they cave at this point then they buy other problems for themselves.

He will get paid, this year or next. Maybe not as much as he was initially asking for but he will get paid and he will have an NFL career. The 49'ers will not get the pick back.

Maybe, just maybe they work out a deal where they massively overpay for a contract with a 6th year so that they can use it as a figleaf to pretend as if they didn't really cave in and overpay

All League
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    i dont think the 9ers coaching staff cares if crabtree signs with them or not. without him they are 2-0, so why mess up chemistry. this guy looks like he could be a head case. i say let him go back into the draft and get drafted lower than 10th. it would serve him right..lol

what is it with the jets? you guys cant seem to stay out of trouble, first marshall(which nothing was proven), then favre, and now this?lol...

All League
    I can't see how the Jets could get this done with their current cap situation.
    It looks like they are not signing Leon, and they have only about 5 million in cap room

All Pro
    Hmmm, by the responses I see, it now looks like cheating is OK as long as
    the Jets are doin' the cheatin'?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Hmmm, by the responses I see, it now looks like cheating is OK as long as
    the Jets are doin' the cheatin'?
    Innocent until proven guilty. I'd like to see some physical evidence first. You know...like this...

Hall Of Fame

Did three more tapes go missing????

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty. I'd like to see some physical evidence first. You know...like this...

Hall Of Fame
    The Niners are desperate.

Niners are desperate and trying their hardest to blame someone but themselves...

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The Niners are desperate.
    Worse is, they are 2-0 in their division already. Crabtree would have been very smart to just sign and dig in. Now he'll spend a year moping while he could have been getting great experience.

Veteran
    where is Black Panther, when you need him

Banned
    Rodger Goodell is a jackass. Mark my words, Goodell WILL be the reason for the next lock out in the making.

Veteran
    When asked by Mike & Mike this morning about the tampering claims coming from the Niners camp, Rex said:

"I wish we were playing them."