Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks' Take on Trade

All Pro

Don Banks' Take on Trade

Braylon Edwards trade gives Jets the No. 1 receiver they lacked

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0TGQX44Vj
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

In taking the Braylon Edwards problem off the Browns' hands Wednesday, the New York Jets have made another bold move to win now and win big in the AFC East in the first year of the Rex Ryan era.

Edwards is an undeniable talent at receiver, but Cleveland's 2005 first-round pick has had just one season so far (2007) that was worthy of his No. 3 overall draft slot. Whether or not New York can find a way to mine Edwards' potential is a calculated risk that at first glance doesn't appear to have a huge downside for the Jets.

In addition to shipping to Cleveland a pair of veteran players in slot receiver Chansi Stuckey and special teams player Jason Trusnik -- two players now headed from first to worst in the standings -- the first-place Jets (3-1) are sending the Browns a pair of draft picks believed to be in the range of the third or fourth round. That's not a huge price to pay for Edwards if New York can get him performing anywhere near the level of his 2007 breakthrough season, when he scored 16 touchdowns and hauled in 80 passes for 1,289 yards.

Edwards has been plagued by both dropped passes and off-field maturity issues since his Pro Bowl season of 2007, but the Jets believe they know his warts and can foster an atmosphere that brings out the best in the enigmatic former University of Michigan star. New York is counting on Edwards being happier away from the losing climate that prevailed in Cleveland, and the hope is that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can quickly mold a significant role for him, with rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez feeding him the ball and keeping him interested.

The knock on Edwards in Cleveland has been that he's not a player who lives and breaths the game as much as he enjoys the fame and lifestyle of an NFL star. Playing in the New York might only end up accentuating that pattern, but the Jets are counting on Edwards to work harder at his craft than he did in Cleveland, and to get on board with a winning program that could potentially showcase his receiving talents.

Edwards is only signed through 2009, but if there is no new collective bargaining agreement struck by next March, the Jets will retain his rights as a restricted free agent when the salary cap disappears in 2010 and the free agency rules change to preclude unrestricted movement until a player has six years in the league. Edwards is currently in his fifth year.

As for the 0-4 Browns, new head coach Eric Mangini continues to collect his ex-Jets players, getting two reliable performers in Stuckey and Trusnik. Stuckey is a resourceful and, at times, very productive slot receiver, and Trusnik is a quality special teams player and reserve linebacker who earlier this season contributed to New York's win over Tennessee with a key forced fumble and recovery on kick coverage.

For Cleveland, the rational to move Edwards was obvious: He had become a steady source of off-field controversy, and he certainly wasn't helping them win on the field, being held without a catch for the first time in his career in Sunday's overtime loss at home against Cincinnati. Mangini, no doubt, reasoned that his team would be better off with two quality role players and some future draft picks than an underachieving irritant who had clearly worn out his welcome in Cleveland.

The Jets have now potentially landed the No. 1 receiver their offense lacked, giving them another chip in their attempt to unseat AFC East power New England, where Randy Moss remains the division's most dominant receiver. New York has done so without granting Edwards a lucrative new contract or surrendering valuable first- or second-round picks in any future drafts. All things considered, the Jets see Edwards' upside -- he's 26 and has scored 25 touchdowns in his last three full seasons -- as a risk worth investing in that doesn't come at a premium price.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0TGPTfb97
    Last edited by David Harris; 10-07-2009 at 11:23 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0TGPTfb97
    That actually sums up my opinion pretty well. 2 draft picks and 2 players is a lot for one player, but Trunsick was a borderline player for the Jets who had to cut someone anyhow, and Stuckey was a below average #3, with potential to be a 2 one day.

I think it's certainly worth the risk, but others think the Jets gave too much, I just don't see it.

Veteran
    Well reasoned article. I think it sums up the situation well. I hope that BE is motivated by this and puts a hurtin' on the rest of the league.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    A risky trade but with a lot of upside. Let's hope it pans out!

All Pro
    The 5th round pick is not worth terribly much. If you look at the stats on how many 5th round picks actually make it in the NFL, it's pretty dismal...The 3rd rounder is worth something for sure, but for a high first-round talent it's chump-change. In effect, we gave up ONE player for Edwards, since Stuckey is a WR and we are essentially swapping Edwards for him. Trusnick is the add-on.... ST guy? Not much there either. So what we have in total is a WR trade, upgrading to a high first-round talent for the price of a 3rd rounder, a ST player, and chopped liver (the 5th found flyer). It's a f*ckin GREAT deal.

Waterboy
    Who thinks that he will start against the fish on Monday Night.

Veteran
    this is great value for jets. Get a potential #1 WR for trusnick (an undfrafted FA), stuckey (a 7th round pick) and a 3rd and 5th rd pick in 2010. Hope edwards gets his act together, I think this will be a good environment for him with rex ryan and the vets on the team.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That actually sums up my opinion pretty well. 2 draft picks and 2 players is a lot for one player, but Trunsick was a borderline player for the Jets who had to cut someone anyhow, and Stuckey was a below average #3, with potential to be a 2 one day.

I think it's certainly worth the risk, but others think the Jets gave too much, I just don't see it.
    Does anyone think that Pace coming back may have had an impact on this deal as well? Could Trusnick have been the guy that was going to make room for Pace on the roster?

Practice Squad
    Not to be difficult, but are two draft picks too much to pay for 12 regular season games? He is only signed through this year, right?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by davel138 View Post
    Yup, he will, no doubt. They'll start him off with 5 plays or so. We'll get to see some practice video of him I would imagine. Exciting time to be a Jet fan for sure this year

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxJetFan View Post
    A risky trade but with a lot of upside. Let's hope it pans out!
    Here's the upside...

80 receptions, 1289 yards, 16.1 YPC, 16 TD's

But as Rex said in his presser today, what Edwards brings to the table isn't just stats, but that he also frees up Cotchery & Keller, and benefits Sanchez tremendously.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Varjet View Post
    Not to be difficult, but are two draft picks too much to pay for 12 regular season games? He is only signed through this year, right?
    There's a couple scenarios that could play out:

As the article mentions, if there is no CBA agreed to by March, Edwards becomes a RFA

We also have the option of negotiating a contract extension before the season is over

Or the use of the franchise tag.

However it plays out I'm sure Tannenbaum thought this through before making the trade.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    There's a couple scenarios that could play out:

As the article mentions, if there is no CBA agreed to by March, Edwards becomes a RFA

We also have the option of negotiating a contract extension before the season is over

Or the use of the franchise tag.

However it plays out I'm sure Tannenbaum thought this through before making the trade.
    Yeah I'm pretty surprised there's no deal already in place. He HAS to be on the team in 2010 after this trade, I'm just not clear on what it's going to look like and how the uncapped year/cba play into it. One good thing is that it should like a fire under his ass for this season. If he can make it here...

Rookie
    The pessimist could argue that this is yet another play to win now so PSLs are easier to swallow. It's an oversimplification since football is still a business and every owner makes deals to win, but still.

Picking up Braylon isn't quite as pricey if he's an RFA. If he plays up to his potential, we get big wins this year and we have the inside track to negotiate with him in the offseason. If he doesn't, we can still get comp picks if he is signed by another team, or picks in return if he's tendered, right?

What I don't quite understand is what it means that we'll have as many as 10 RFAs at the end of the year. Who does the team tender? The ones in bold?

Kellen Clemens
    Eric Smith

Brad Smith
    Leon Washington
    Drew Coleman
    Robert Turner

James Ihedigbo
    Marques Murrell
    David Clowney
    Braylon Edwards

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by skaoscar View Post
    The pessimist could argue that this is yet another play to win now so PSLs are easier to swallow. It's an oversimplification since football is still a business and every owner makes deals to win, but still.

Picking up Braylon isn't quite as pricey if he's an RFA. If he plays up to his potential, we get big wins this year and we have the inside track to negotiate with him in the offseason. If he doesn't, we can still get comp picks if he is signed by another team, or picks in return if he's tendered, right?

What I don't quite understand is what it means that we'll have as many as 10 RFAs at the end of the year. Who does the team tender? The ones in bold?

Kellen Clemens
    Eric Smith

Brad Smith
    Leon Washington
    Drew Coleman
    Robert Turner

James Ihedigbo
    Marques Murrell
    David Clowney
    Braylon Edwards
    Kellen Clemens - see you
    Eric Smith -3rd round tender (may be)
    Brad Smith -same
    Leon Washington 1+3 tendr (but I hope we resign him beforehand)
    Drew Coleman see you
    Robert Turner see you
    James Ihedigbo seee yo
    Marques Murrell seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee y
    David Clowney depends how he sos this season
    Braylon Edwards 1+3

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Kellen Clemens - see you
    Brad Smith -same
    Drew Coleman see you
    Robert Turner see you
    James Ihedigbo seee yo
    Braylon Edwards 1+3
    You think the team values Eric Smith that much? And Brad Smith equivalently? I can see Eric Smith's place on the team if he continues to play well, but I doubt anyone would think Brad Smith is 3rd round value at this point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Kellen Clemens - see you
    Brad Smith -same
    Drew Coleman see you
    Robert Turner see you
    James Ihedigbo seee yo
    Braylon Edwards 1+3
    Kellen Clemens-I agree bye bye
    Eric Smith- I can see him being a 3rd round tender
    Brad Smith- They should pay the team a 3rd rounder to get rid of him
    Leon- Should not even make it to free agency, Jets gotta sign him soon
    Drew Coleman- Sign him to 1 or 2 year deal. Not gonna get much anywhere
    Robert Turner- I can see him going, but the team likes him
    James Ihedigbo- Nice role player, but I think he's gone too
    Marques Murrell- Hard to replace good backups and good special teams
    David Clowney- Goodbye Mr. Clowney, you've shown us NOTHING
    Braylon Edwards- Franchise at least, I think they will also sign him

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by davel138 View Post
    You'll be up-close for that one, huh?

Nice avatar!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Kellen Clemens-I agree bye bye
    Eric Smith- I can see him being a 3rd round tender
    Brad Smith- They should pay the team a 3rd rounder to get rid of him
    Leon- Should not even make it to free agency, Jets gotta sign him soon
    Drew Coleman- Sign him to 1 or 2 year deal. Not gonna get much anywhere
    Robert Turner- I can see him going, but the team likes him
    James Ihedigbo- Nice role player, but I think he's gone too
    Marques Murrell- Hard to replace good backups and good special teams
    David Clowney- Goodbye Mr. Clowney, you've shown us NOTHING
    Braylon Edwards- Franchise at least, I think they will also sign him
    Now that you're the second person to mention that Clemens is gone, I guess I missed the obvious fact that the team will almost certainly get a cheap vet backup and drop Kellen.

Regarding Turner, it would be a little surprising if he wasn't resigned. Hunter, Slausen, Turner and McCaskill are the only backups on the O-line and we don't even know if Slausen and McCaskill are any good. Turner won't cost much more money that some guy off the street and he has experience backing up multiple spots.

Back to your regular programming.

Veteran
    Its funny how a trade like this can turn our WR unit into one of the best..
    At the start of the season we probably had one of the worst WR units in the NFL. But with that trade the Jets have 2 very special WRs who u always have to be on alert for.
    We still need to find out if Smith or Clowney can play that slot role and go thru the middle. But I really like what we have at 1 and 2 now!!