Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Brady working the officials...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And that's sad because Sanchez may well represent the future of the QB elite when Brady, Manning and Brees retire. It would be tragic if he were injured because of extra liberties taken because he's not as protected as they are.
    Who are you?

His mother?

All League
    I'm surprised by Brady's comments. He's just begging to get a player to go after his knees in an unimportant situation. I mean the Ravens are already pissed off about it, probably not the smartest thing to make fun of a situation that the Ravens are pissed off about, when the Ravens could very well be on the Patriots January schedule.
    Last edited by rep; 10-08-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC View Post
    I see no problem with this. I have several major accounts, I know the names of the children of each buyer at each company. Its good business

BTW none of the 3 roughing the passer calls were because of the Brady rule.
    Really? Because it says so right in the article, "The 'Brady Rule' was why Ravens pass rusher Terrell Suggs drew a 15-yard penalty in the second quarter even though he barely made contact with Brady."

Oh I forgot, you make stuff up and pretend not to notice the posts that point out that you are full of crap.

Banned
    Who are you?

His mother?
    Impossible. Sanchez is obviously teh offspring of the Gods, unicorns and dragons. How could Jordy be his mother?

That's as preposterous as you claiming to like boobies.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Don't graze his knees or helmet. Run through him like you're a freight train. Blow him up by hitting him in the chest or back. Drive him into the turf.

This is a good point. A lot of times when guys are slowing up, it takes a few seconds to come to a full stop. As much as they try, sometimes they still run into the quarterback, just at a slower pace. So the ref sees the contact and thinks, "hey, he hit the quarterback two seconds after he released the ball."
    Out comes the flag. Defender would have been better off going full speed and hitting him half a second after release.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    This is a good point. A lot of times when guys are slowing up, it takes a few seconds to come to a full stop. As much as they try, sometimes they still run into the quarterback, just at a slower pace. So the ref sees the contact and thinks, "hey, he hit the quarterback two seconds after he released the ball."
    Out comes the flag. Defender would have been better off going full speed and hitting him half a second after release.
    Agreed. Plus, since 4 out of every 5 hits on a QB gets flagged now, you might as well make the penalties count and knock them into next Thursday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    forget brady - he's going to be protected to a fault.

i say, nail the wrs. just keep nailing moss every time he's thrown the ball. same to welker. wrs are as unprotected as brady is protected. brady may be off limits, but his wrs aren't.
    There are strong rules that protect WRs too. Not as much as the QB, but you can't hit a WR low when he's going for the ball either.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
    Really? Because it says so right in the article, "The 'Brady Rule' was why Ravens pass rusher Terrell Suggs drew a 15-yard penalty in the second quarter even though he barely made contact with Brady."

Oh I forgot, you make stuff up and pretend not to notice the posts that point out that you are full of crap.
    You don't have a clue. The national media does not understand the rule why should you.

"The Brady Rule"

The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's legs. Suggs never hit the ground, the douche that rolled up Bradys leg was on the ground.
    Last edited by MACPAC; 10-08-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius View Post

Then there's this:

Pereira defends roughing passer calls
    Mike Pereira, the vice president of NFL officiating, tonight supported the roughing-the-passer penalties against Haloti Ngata and Terrell Suggs of the Ravens during an officiating segment on NFL Network.

Ngata and Suggs were flagged for striking Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the helmet and on the knee during Sunday's game in Foxborough, Mass. Both blows appeared to be glancing blows, but the Ravens were assessed 15 yards each time on drive-sustaining penalties.

Pereira said the NFL had established a target for hitting quarterbacks, "and that target is below the neck and above the knees."
    He characterized the calls as judgment calls.

He also acknowledged that the rule states there must be a "forcible" blow to the knee to make the call. But he said he told officials if there was any doubt in their mind on that play to err on the side of safety.

"It's something we're clearly going to stay with," Pereira said of those kind of personal foul calls.

Pereira called the suggestion that officials are acting overtly to protect Brady because of his profile in the league "ludicrous ... That's not the way we officiate."

Veteran
    For a sport that pretends to be so tough and such a "battle," there sure are a lot of really really really wimpy rules about protecting players.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    For a sport that pretends to be so tough and such a "battle," there sure are a lot of really really really wimpy rules about protecting players.

Ahhhh...but THERE'S the rub. Argue the crappy rules....not the calls that enforce them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having the director of officiating on NFL network justifying those calls was pathetic. Too bad the announcer had no balls to challenge him on a few of his points.
    Not likely since everyone involved in that conversation is an employee of the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    You don't have a clue. The national media does not understand the rule why should you.

"The Brady Rule"

The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's legs. Suggs never hit the ground, the douche that rolled up Bradys leg was on the ground.
    You mean like Wilfork did twice injuring QB's the previous year in which there was no sudden rule change?

Hall Of Fame
    Not likely since everyone involved in that conversation is an employee of the NFL.
    True enough but having a cover our ass statment by some ref exec is annoying at best. You could have guessed what he was going to say before he came out with his telestrator.

Edit: And the worst thing about this kind of working the officials by looking at them point at ones leg and whining is that we are one step away from soccer. Get ready to QB's to start diving like soccer players and punters.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 10-08-2009 at 05:57 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    There are strong rules that protect WRs too. Not as much as the QB, but you can't hit a WR low when he's going for the ball either.
    And I suppose you trolls don't think this play on Flacco was roughing the passer? To add insult to injury, Gaither almost got paralyzed on the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGybMz317YQ

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgater View Post
    With the way Sanchez goes low on defenders (twice in 4 games, right?), he'll be lucky to last the year.

Defensive players will get proactive and do it to him first, just to protect their own careers of course. Nobody likes a dirty player, particularly in a qb.
    Get off your high and mighty horse. But it's OK for guys like Roidney Harrison and Vince Wilfat to play dirty every chance they've gotten because they're NOT QB's? What a tool.

Who are you?

His mother?
    No but I could be your worst nightmare.

All Pro
    Get off your high and mighty horse. But it's OK for guys like Roidney Harrison and Vince Wilfat to play dirty every chance they've gotten because they're NOT QB's? What a tool.

You sound like Baltimore fans. All the whining and stuff.

As far as being my worst nightmare goes? You are a little late, I met my worst nightmare 6 months ago.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway

All League

Arrow

You can just hear the bleating now if Mancheeze gets hurt from a borderline hit. There will be no scoffing about the refs not letting them play when that happens.

Hypocritical Homers.

Hall Of Fame
    You sound like Baltimore fans. All the whining and stuff.

As far as being my worst nightmare goes? You are a little late, I met my worst nightmare 6 months ago.
    Care to elaborate?????

I did not know you met Rex or Sanchize?