Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Brady working the officials...

Charter JI Member

Update on Brady working the officials...

Brady won't apologize for roughing calls

Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe reports Patriots quarterback Tom Brady conceded that the Patriots were "fortunate" to get a pair of roughing-the-passer penalties that extended touchdown drives last Sunday in their win over Baltimore, but the quarterback wasn't about to apologize for the flags, which Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and coach John Harbaugh have insinuated were the result of special treatment for Brady.

"I want the penalty call," said Brady. "I want 15 yards. I don't care whether they hit me or not, that's an advantage for our offense." He added with a grin, "I go hug the ref before the game, ask about his kids and stuff like that. I'm trying to get him on our side."

The Baltimore Sun reported yesterday that the league told the Ravens there would be no fines for the roughing calls.

Brady said he wasn’t embarrassed by the so-called “Brady Rule,’’ which is a clarification of the roughing-the-passer rule that prohibits players from lunging at or rolling onto the knees of the quarterback. The “Brady Rule’’ was why Ravens pass rusher Terrell Suggs drew a 15-yard penalty in the second quarter even though he barely made contact with Brady.

JetsInsider.com Legend

That's ****ing hilarious!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe reports Patriots quarterback Tom Brady conceded that the Patriots were "fortunate" to get a pair of roughing-the-passer penalties that extended touchdown drives last Sunday in their win over Baltimore, but the quarterback wasn't about to apologize for the flags, which Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and coach John Harbaugh have insinuated were the result of special treatment for Brady.

"I want the penalty call," said Brady. "I want 15 yards. I don't care whether they hit me or not, that's an advantage for our offense." He added with a grin, "I go hug the ref before the game, ask about his kids and stuff like that. I'm trying to get him on our side."

The Baltimore Sun reported yesterday that the league told the Ravens there would be no fines for the roughing calls.

Brady said he wasn’t embarrassed by the so-called “Brady Rule,’’ which is a clarification of the roughing-the-passer rule that prohibits players from lunging at or rolling onto the knees of the quarterback. The “Brady Rule’’ was why Ravens pass rusher Terrell Suggs drew a 15-yard penalty in the second quarter even though he barely made contact with Brady.
    I think QB's like Brady,Manning and Brees will get a easier roughing call then Sanchez or any of the other non Big name QB's..

All League
    It was a very low hug. Brady was on his knees at the time. Afterwards, he got up, wiped his mouth off w/ the yellow flag, adjusted his skirt, and continued to play fag football.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-08-2009 at 04:16 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think QB's like Brady,Manning and Brees will get a easy roughing call then Sanchez or any of the other non Big name QB's..
    And that's sad because Sanchez may well represent the future of the QB elite when Brady, Manning and Brees retire. It would be tragic if he were injured because of extra liberties taken because he's not as protected as they are.

All League
    Scum.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And that's sad because Sanchez may well represent the future of the QB elite when Brady, Manning and Brees retire. It would be tragic if he were injured because of extra liberties taken because he's not as protected as they are.
    I agree, especially since Brady was so smug about it.

I saw that this morning and was wondering how long it would take you guys to post it. Practically everything you hate about Brady and the Patriots all wrapped up in one quote.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I swear Brady has driving you guys insane when he comments.

I love it.

All Pro
    Update on Brady "working" the officials
    what do you mean "working" the officials?

All Pro
    the stars get the calls because the owners will protect their 'investment'. that's the way it goes in life...the hot shot qb gets to break curfew while the 3rd stringer will be cut for being 5 minutes late.

that being said bad calls are part of the game...i wish penalties could be reviewable..why the hell not..everything else is and they affect games greatly.
    Last edited by WeskerLogan; 10-08-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Having the director of officiating on NFL network justifying those calls was pathetic. Too bad the announcer had no balls to challenge him on a few of his points.

He should have asked if those calls were now the new standard for roughing calls againts QB's in the league and if we could expect those tyep of calls to be made week in and week out.

The officiating guy also justified the Brady whining for calls by saying that Jay Cutler does it as well and intimating that all QB's do, which is patently false.

Hall Of Fame
    I understand guys are pissed off at this, but the Ravens are the ones to plame for half-stepping on hitting Brady.

Don't graze his knees or helmet. Run through him like you're a freight train. Blow him up by hitting him in the chest or back. Drive him into the turf.

Dare the refs to call a penalty on a clean, albiet vicious hit.

I will note that late in the Jets-Pats game, Jenkins had grabbed Brady right after he released the ball and spun him to the ground. Brady got up and pointed at the refs and spread out his hands as if saying "Where's the call?"

The ref shook his head. It was a clean hit.

Fans and players cry about the Brady rule, but the players should start hitting him like a man and not worry about penalties. If the refs want to call a clean & vicious hit a PF, so be it. Brady will get happy feet for sure, so it will be worth it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    With the way Sanchez goes low on defenders (twice in 4 games, right?), he'll be lucky to last the year.

Defensive players will get proactive and do it to him first, just to protect their own careers of course. Nobody likes a dirty player, particularly in a qb.

All League
    Tom Brady ripped the tag off his mattress!

Tom Brady doesn't recycle!

Tom Brady doesn't play for the Jets!

WAAaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    forget brady - he's going to be protected to a fault.

i say, nail the wrs. just keep nailing moss every time he's thrown the ball. same to welker. wrs are as unprotected as brady is protected. brady may be off limits, but his wrs aren't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Tom Brady ripped the tag off his mattress!

Tom Brady doesn't recycle!

Tom Brady doesn't play for the Jets!

WAAaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand the current QB rules. And all these no touchee rule changes that have favored the passing game in general. I'm just guessing...but the passing efficiency in this decade, most probably is greater then in many past ones. Completion percentages and QB ratings too. IMO...intentially wanting to juice up the scoring, is a part of the reasons. To the "beautiful People" type of fans, and mindless yokels, defensive low scoring games are boring.

I'm in favor of bringing back the old bump and run rules. Lets see how the Diva QBs and WRs perform under those conditions.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 10-08-2009 at 04:54 PM.

All Pro

I see no problem with this. I have several major accounts, I know the names of the children of each buyer at each company. Its good business

BTW none of the 3 roughing the passer calls were because of the Brady rule.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Parcells was the master of working the officials.