Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braylon ranked as the #20 WR in NFL by SNY?

Banned

Braylon ranked as the #20 WR in NFL by SNY?

Saw on SNY a few hours ago a so-called "expert" rank Braylon as the #20 WR in the league. He said he is not a top WR and has done almost nothing as a WR for the past 20 games.

If this is true...

Then this is a monumentally bad trade. Furthermore, it could be a disasterous trade in Braylon leaves at the end of the year or stops playing for us (like he did in Cleveland) because he wants to leave.

I'm going to hope Tanny knows what he's doing here and Rex can motivate.

#20? He looks pretty good on those YouTube vids I've seen

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Put Wayne on Cleveland and but Edwards on Indy with Manning and company, and let's see how this #20 WR produces.

All League
    In terms of his production over the past season-plus... probably. The idea is that he is better than what he showed last year in Cleveland. That's the gamble we're taking. If he were consideered a top 5 or top 10 receiver right now we wouldn't have gotten him for what we did. You buy low and hope your stock rises.

Banned
    Lets see...guys I'd take over Braylon just to play this game:

AJ
    CJ
    Smith
    Moss
    TO
    White
    Boldin
    Fitzgerald
    Jennings
    Cotchery
    Jackson
    Bowe
    Colston
    Bryant
    Welker
    Ocho
    Evans
    Wayne
    Gonzalez
    Marshall

And if you take off Bryant he's #20...it's not like it's a bad thing...there just happens to be a shyteload of talented WR's right now.

I don't get how that makes this trade regrettable.

Hall Of Fame
    Considering we sent a 2nd rounder to the Titans for Justin McCareins a couple of years ago...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post

What is amazing that you only took two -not 4 pasterisks players. Try again.

Banned
    Who else should I have taken from the Pats?

All League

AJ
    CJ
    Smith
    Moss
    TO
    White
    Boldin
    Fitzgerald
    Jennings
    Cotchery
    Jackson
    Bowe
    Colston
    Bryant
    Welker
    Ocho
    Evans
    Wayne
    Gonzalez
    Marshall

And if you take off Bryant he's #20...it's not like it's a bad thing...there just happens to be a shyteload of talented WR's right now.

I don't get how that makes this trade regrettable
    I was thnking the same thing.

There are 32 "#1" receivers in the NFL. Being #20 still puts you above what other team's "best" have to offer.

Besides, how many of those names would Braylon have been ahead of if he was coming off his 2006 season?

The kid's 26 and shown promise. . . I'm not sure how the trade we made could hurt us THAT bad, regardless of how things turn out

Sure there's risk, but "ya gotta spend money to make money . . ."

All League
    Who else should I have taken from the Pats?
    Who should know better your favorite team?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Who should know better your favorite team?
    Lets see you put together a list of the top 20 WR's and not have Moss and Welker on it.

All League

AJ
    CJ
    Smith
    Moss
    TO
    White
    Boldin
    Fitzgerald
    Jennings
    Cotchery
    Jackson
    Bowe
    Colston
    Bryant
    Welker
    Ocho
    Evans
    Wayne
    Gonzalez
    Marshall

This.

Calling Edwards #20 in the league isn't a slight, it's a fact.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    15-20 if I were to have a vote.

Look, this is not a bad thing considering Braylon has underachieved the past 1+ seasons.

The bright side is he has talent to be a top 5 WR. It is a bit of a gamble, but we will find out what kind of heart Braylon has here in a few games.

My optimistic assumption is that Braylon is going to go out there with a fire lit. Lets be honest, ther hasnt been too much for him to be excited about in Cleveland. He knows people are doubting his abilities, and if I were him, with his skills, I would take that personally, and go out there looking to prove them wrong.

This could be likened to the Randy Moss trade to New England from Oakland. What did Randy have to look forward to as a Raider? It was a horrible, underachieving environment, and when he was placed with a winning team, in a positive environment, what happened?

Dont go all crazy Chowd Trolls, im not saying Braylon Edwards is equal to Randy Moss, but the situation draws alot of similarities.

BET JET MAMMA'S BOYS!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Ranking Edwards there based off the last year and 4 weeks is most definately fair....but that's why the trade is considered a buy low. If he was coming off his 2007 season, we wouldn't be able to steal him for a 1st and a 3rd. And lets also consider how much of his poor play was likely due to being on a losing team, with a losing mentality, with one coach who allowed him to get away with pretty much anything (Crennel), and then a second coach who sucked the fun out of everything (Mangini).

But I don't think for a minute the Jets made this trade so they could get the #20 WR in the league. They see someone with the skillset and the potential to be in the Top 10, if not the Top 5. I mean, he was someone who was one of the rising stars in the league in 2007.

Veteran
    Look, we all know that if Braylon didn't have the drops, he'd be on this list.

But he does. And I still want him out there.

A) It remains to be seen if the drops will be as bad with Sanchez

B) He opens things up for Cotchery + Keller

C) ....and with success in B, things get open for Jones (who needs a huge opening to do anything) and Leon

If "A" pans out and he doesn't really drop many balls, then yes, he belongs on that list at that point.

Another thing, gentlemen: do we really need opinion articles from the media to help us form an opinion of anything but the figurehead who wrote them? Can we not form our own opinions of Braylon Edwards? Must our confidence be shaken if the author's opinion is negative?

All League
    I don't care what his rating is now. This guy was the #2 WR in the NFL in 2007. He is only 26, he CAN get back to that level. I hope...

The last time Edwards played the dolphins he caught 3td passes in one game.

even though he had a terrible year last year in 3 MNF games he went over 100 yards recieving.

hey..just sayin..

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC View Post
    Lets see you put together a list of the top 20 WR's and not have Moss and Welker on it.
    Yeah Moss is a top tier reciever!Unless he has Revis on him that is!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    Saw on SNY a few hours ago a so-called "expert" rank Braylon as the #20 WR in the league. He said he is not a top WR and has done almost nothing as a WR for the past 20 games.

If this is true...

Then this is a monumentally bad trade. Furthermore, it could be a disasterous trade in Braylon leaves at the end of the year or stops playing for us (like he did in Cleveland) because he wants to leave.

they said the same thing about randy moss after oak

Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post

If this is true...

Tanny and Rex ain't dummies. This guy is a great talent, and can play. And is a good fit for the Jets offensive needs. Braylon will revive his career, just as Jenkins did, playing alongside Cotchery, and with Keller as TE. Rex talked to his DC brother Rob, with the Browns. Also with friends of Edwards on the Jets, Kerry Rhodes, A.J. Feeley and others. And is satisfied that Braylon will fit in and excel.

Tanny knows what he's doing when it come to the CAP, or the CBA. And unless there's a new CBA by next March, Braylon will be only a restricted FA(the same situation as Leon.) And can be retained by tendering Edwards a qualifying yearly offer of about $5 Mil, for two more years. Anotherwords...less per year money, then what the Jets were paying Coles.

I'm sure that Tanny has sources telling him how that CBA situation is going to play out. And Tanny is betting that there won't be a new CBA in place by March '10. I wouldn't bet that Tanny is wrong on this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Considering we sent a 2nd rounder to the Titans for Justin McCareins a couple of years ago...
    Terry Badway epitomized all that was once wrong with this team. I still go back to the 2005 draft just for sorry laughs sometime (KR notwithstanding).