Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st half of the season- Jets got no breaks

All Pro

1st half of the season- Jets got no breaks

Now that 8 games have gone by, we can all look at those past games, pick them apart & look for reasons why we don't have a better record.

1- We're losing the turnover battle. Sometimes things just don't go your way & with the Jets that's an understatement. Jets turnovers are being turned into instant points.
    2- How often has our blocking been so bad that 4 defenders are hitting & stripping our running back in the backfield, ie. Shonn Greene, the answer is once. But not only do they get the ball but they have a clear path for a touchdown.
    3- In the same game, our defenders strip the ball, it's clearly a fumble, Revis recovers, but the Refs are blowing the whistle before the play is over? Fins, knowing they got lucky, hurry up into the offense to get a play off.
    4- How often do defensive backs hold onto every ball that gets near them? In that Buffalo game, they're DBs & safeties were making better catches than our own receivers.
    5- In that same game the ref calls a hold on a play that had already would have gotten a 1st down. Just so happens that it was a game changing call?
    6- In Miami, the replays showed numerous tugs, pulls ect. all along the line of scrimmage but there was not one holding call in that game.
    7- Ref calls an illegal procedure on a successful 2 point conversion. Was it close? sure, close enough that change the outcome of a game? I don't think so. While the NFL is telling Refs to not take over games, this year so far from what I have witnessed has been a really bad year for NFL officiating.
    8- Jets had numerous hits on Henne, while he was holding the ball in one hand, just came soooo close to getting a fumble but didn't.
    9- On Ginns 2nd TD, the Fins push Fowler in the back as he's trying to tackle him. No call.

There really are no excuses in football but Rex was RIGHT ON when he said in his press conference that things are just not bouncing the Jets way. Whats to say that can't change? Karma would say that they have worked hard & had a chance to win every game they played this year, as fans that is all we can ask. Jets just need some of those bounces, some of those close calls, some of those sacks to result in a fumble, some of those picks & fumbles to not turn into 6 points.
    These are actually the things that are most frustrating for long time Jets fans. While we witness things like the tuck rule or hear people like Dierdorf laugh when he sees our guy get held on replay & claims, "well it's not a penalty if they don't call it", it's tremendously heart breaking to feel like we are always on the wrong side of a bad or missed call. It just always feels like it's never even.
    I'm just hoping that changes in the 2nd half of the season. If we can get just a couple of breaks, we might have a chance to get back in this thing.
    Last edited by jetster; 11-05-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Rookie
    when your a funamentally sound team the breaks go your way...when you are constantly being penalized and turning the ball over you cant expect many breaks...i dont like to be a negative jets fan but lets not make this out to be what its not...we are 4-4...we dont deserve to be any better nor should we be any worse...

hopefully over the bye week rex works on what has been our biggest problem so far through 4 games, if so we have a chance to be an outstanding football team in the second half that could have great success

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Now that 8 games have gone by, we can all look at those past games, pick them apart & look for reasons why we don't have a better record.

1- We're losing the turnover battle. Sometimes things just don't go your way & with the Jets that's an understatement. Jets turnovers are being turned into instant points.
    2- How often has our blocking been so bad that 4 defenders are hitting & stripping our running back in the backfield, ie. Shonn Greene, the answer is once. But not only do they get the ball but they have a clear path for a touchdown.
    3- In the same game, our defenders strip the ball, it's clearly a fumble, Revis recovers, but the Refs are blowing the whistle before the play is over? Fins, knowing they got lucky, hurry up into the offense to get a play off.
    4- How often do defensive backs hold onto every ball that gets near them? In that Buffalo game, they're DBs & safeties were making better catches than our own receivers.
    5- In that same game the ref calls a hold on a play that had already would have gotten a 1st down. Just so happens that it was a game changing call?
    6- In Miami, the replays showed numerous tugs, pulls ect. all along the line of scrimmage but there was not one holding call in that game.
    7- Ref calls an illegal procedure on a successful 2 point conversion. Was it close? sure, close enough that change the outcome of a game? I don't think so. While the NFL is telling Refs to not take over games, this year so far from what I have witnessed has been a really bad year for NFL officiating.
    8- Jets had numerous hits on Henne, while he was holding the ball in one hand, just came soooo close to getting a fumble but didn't.
    9- On Ginns 2nd TD, the Fins push Fowler in the back as he's trying to tackle him. No call.

There really are no excuses in football but Rex was RIGHT ON when he said in his press conference that things are just not bouncing the Jets way. Whats to say that can't change? Karma would say that they have worked hard & had a chance to win every game they played this year, as fans that is all we can ask. Jets just need some of those bounces, some of those close calls, some of those sacks to result in a fumble, some of those picks & fumbles to not turn into 6 points.
    These are actually the things that are most frustrating for long time Jets fans. While we witness things like the tuck rule or hear people like Dierdorf laugh when he sees our guy get held on replay & claims, "well it's not a penalty if they don't call it", it's tremendously heart breaking to feel like we are always on the wrong side of a bad or missed call. It just always feels like it's never even.
    I'm just hoping that changes in the 2nd half of the season. If we can get just a couple of breaks, we might have a chance to get back in this thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUOFV5TusE

Veteran
    Fins muffed a fair-catch that we turned into a TD, otherwise we wouldn't be in the game at the end.

Titans also fumbled on special teams that we wound up turning into key points to win that game.

We've had some things go our way. We just need to avoid the disaterours TDs when our defense is on the bench.

This board has become a bag of excuses.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    I'm just not a believer in the everything evens out theory that people espouse when it comes to officiating. I've always been leery watching NFL games. I've seen lesser teams leading favorites & witnessed the out of the blue holding call on a 3rd down conversion for a 1st down.
    You have all seen them, where they show the replay, announcers say, wow, that was a bad call & said team loses the game.

If football is a game of inches than it's assinine to think that 1 bad call can't lose a game.
    If we don't get that holding call against the Bills, chances are we win that game.
    If the Ref calls the push in the back on Fowler (Westoff mentioned it after seeing the coaches tapes) we probably win the Fins game.

I'm sure every fan thinks they have been jobbed by bad officiating but the Jets have to poster childs for Ref abuse.

The only team that has had their collective As*es kissed by the Refs is Tom Bradys Patriots.
    Used to be the Miami Dolphins but ole Krafty has taken over the mantel from Don Shula as the NFL insider when it comes to new rules that protect his team & his QB.
    Of course when the Pats were abusing the Colts receivers & then did the same to the Rams in the Superbowl that wasn't changed until Pollian sent the tapes to the league office & Espn complaining that the rules were not being followed.
    The Officiating SUCKS in the NFL, & for years they have played favorites. If you think the Pats & Colts are treated the same as the Jets & Bengals, you haven't been watching football very long.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I'm just not a believer in the everything evens out theory that people espouse when it comes to officiating. I've always been leery watching NFL games. I've seen lesser teams leading favorites & witnessed the out of the blue holding call on a 3rd down conversion for a 1st down.
    You have all seen them, where they show the replay, announcers say, wow, that was a bad call & said team loses the game.

If football is a game of inches than it's assinine to think that 1 bad call can't lose a game.
    If we don't get that holding call against the Bills, chances are we win that game.
    If the Ref calls the push in the back on Fowler (Westoff mentioned it after seeing the coaches tapes) we probably win the Fins game.

I'm sure every fan thinks they have been jobbed by bad officiating but the Jets have to poster childs for Ref abuse.

The only team that has had their collective As*es kissed by the Refs is Tom Bradys Patriots.
    Used to be the Miami Dolphins but ole Krafty has taken over the mantel from Don Shula as the NFL insider when it comes to new rules that protect his team & his QB.
    Of course when the Pats were abusing the Colts receivers & then did the same to the Rams in the Superbowl that wasn't changed until Pollian sent the tapes to the league office & Espn complaining that the rules were not being followed.
    The Officiating SUCKS in the NFL, & for years they have played favorites. If you think the Pats & Colts are treated the same as the Jets & Bengals, you haven't been watching football very long.

Rams were just dominated with clean hits,and power,the rams were soft b_itches back then.

Colt receivers pushed off all the time,and oline coudn't block anyone without holding with 2 hands,they're the last ones to be complaining,PEROID.

After the rule change,the following year,pats whipped their azz again(twice),and nearly shut them out in the playoffs(manning of course,threw about 3 different of his own players,under the bus,AGAIN).

And the year the colts did beat n.e in the playoffs,was without harrison/seymour in the lineup.

Why are jet fans complaining about the bills game holding call??That's the very definition of holding,wow,just wow.

And of course nobody here mentioned the HUGE amount of holding the jets got away with in the pats game in week 2
    of this year(your superbowl),every other pats pass attempt,there was a pat receiver being held. Joey galloway was put in a head-lock twice,right in front of a ref. Dont give me this C_RAP about not getting calls to go your way.

EVERY team in the league can complain about not getting a specific call to go their way in a close game that could have won the game for them. Stop playing this spoiled crying brat routine the o.p is doing here. Jets just aren't that good ppl,they got a blow-hard head coach that bite off more then he could chew.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lawisdamagedgoods View Post

EVERY team in the league can complain about not getting a specific call to go their way in a close game that could have won the game for them. Stop playing this spoiled crying brat routine the o.p is doing here. Jets just aren't that good ppl,they got a blow-hard head coach that bite off more then he could chew.
    Well said.

Veteran
    who remembers the Saints game, when the Saints (name?) DB throws a fit right in front of the Ref, no call.

If you're not the Pats, Colts, or Steelers, you're getting the calls against.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSackExchange View Post
    who remembers the Saints game, when the Saints (name?) DB throws a fit right in front of the Ref, no call.

And why do you think that elite, well-coached teams in the NFL get all the calls?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    This board has become a bag of excuses.
    Its bad. Every thread has someone crying that the Jets got the shaft.

The funny part in all of this is what Rex said when he was asked about Miami injuries......Boo, Hoo, Hoo.

Jets fans are starting to sound like Raven fans.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSackExchange View Post

How sad. I would feel for you but I can't reach that far.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC View Post
    How sad. I would feel for you but I can't reach that far.
    Can you reach your "favorites" and click on a Pats* messageboard to go to?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And why do you think that elite, well-coached teams in the NFL get all the calls?
    Because it's in the script? It's all one big broadway show.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Can you reach your "favorites" and click on a Pats* messageboard to go to?
    $20 bucks and I am out of here

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Because it's in the script? It's all one big broadway show.
    Have I mentioned that I enjoy your homespun sense of humor?

Banned
    I've never understood why, given the current NFL rules, a player can do a flip into the endzone on an uncontested TD or spike the ball over the goal post, without getting a 15 yard penalty. Both are premeditated and both are taunting.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I've never understood why, given the current NFL rules, a player can do a flip into the endzone on an uncontested TD or spike the ball over the goal post, without getting a 15 yard penalty. Both are premeditated and both are taunting.

Because they are not doing it right in the face of an opposing player.

Rookie
    it was pretty cool when sanchez did it so i dont see what the problem is

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedgreen03 View Post
    it was pretty cool when sanchez did it so i dont see what the problem is
    Friggn' Jets get all the calls.