Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone miss Vilma?

Hall Of Fame

Anyone miss Vilma?

Watching the Saints play last night I thought he made some real good plays... then some typical Vilma plays too. However, I wish we would have kept him. Vilma and Harris playing side by side would have been good for this team considering we don't have a single coverage LB. Not only that but anyone think it's a coincidence that Kerry Rhodes has sucked big time since Vilma left? I remember Rhodes ascent as a player was directly attributed to Vilma making Rhodes come to his house all the time and study film. Rhodes himself said that was the difference. Then Vilma leaves, Rhodes stops putting his effort into football but decides to be a movie star and then look at the results...

As much as I've been down on Rhodes I do think he could return to the player we thought he was if he put ALL of his attention into football. This has been a 2 year problem for Rhodes which has also prompted the media to bring up this question last offseason.

I think the real problem lies in the fact that we don't have a true leader on defense and that's really what Vilma was for this team. However, he seems more like a Saint now than he ever was a Jet which is weird for me. Not only that but it's not a coincidence either that their defense is all the sudden massively improved with his presence there. He's the captain of that defense and he's put his team in a great position to win... something I always thought he could do here if not for that idiot Mangini trying to make him something he's not. Oh well, I guess that's the football gods giving us retribution for losing Vilma by getting Edwards and Sanchez for peanuts.

I guess we'll be stuck thinking what could have been until we win a championship. Watching last night's game reminded me that giving Vilma away had a bigger impact on our defense than we thought... we lost a good leader. We need that leader to step up and command this defense. Whether it's Scott or Revis or Jenks or whoever... someone needs to step up and gather the troops like Vilma used to. Other wise we'll continue to be a frustrated fanbase.

Charter JI Member
    Yep.

Veteran
    I always liked Vilma. No way Rex would have released a player with his talent. That's Mangini's myopia and lack of understanding concerning today's NFL. With the potential of guys getting injured on any play, can you ever have too many great defensive players? Imagine him at LB with Scott and Harris? Plus, we probably would not have drafted "Bust Baby", Gholston.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Johnny Vilma?

Sure. I miss healthy Johnny.

_

Banned
    Alot of Jet fans were saying Vilma was "Too small" for a 3-4 Defense, thats when the Jets run Defense was giving up 120+ yards with each and every game.

But like I was saying the whole time, Vilma is an amazing athlete and a great MLB... It wasn't Vilma's fault that our Defense was horrid against the run; we had a 4-3 DT "Trying" to play the role of a 3-4 NT in Robertson. Without a talented 3-4 NT, you have no 3-4 Defense; that was the problem...Robertson, not Vilma.

I really like Bart Scott, but I would have LOVED to see David Harris and Jonathan Vilma as our 1-2 punch for years to come, at the MLB position, behind a beast of a 3-4 NT in Kris Jenkins.

If we had Vilma as of right now, we could also do so many different types of fronts on the Defensive side of the ball; we could run a 4-3 with Gholston, Jenkins, Pouha, Ellis on the D-Lines, with Pace, Vilma, Thomas as our 3 LB's... Overall... I'm not about to complain about something thats over and done with, but I just believe that Vilma would have been an animal behind Jenkins.

All League
    I don't think he misses the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Get with the here and now, all former, Semi- Jet players that will not be retiring a Jet......see ya...quit wearing the jerseys in the stadium too, support a new guy....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Get with the here and now, all former, Semi- Jet players that will not be retiring a Jet......see ya...quit wearing the jerseys in the stadium too, support a new guy....
    I still wear my Vilma jersey to games. What are you gonna do about it? Maybe I don't feel the need to buy a new jersey every time the coach is a moron and trades a stud like Vilma. My dad still wears his Mawae jersey too. The guy is a class act.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Vilma also whiffed right good on at least one occasion last night. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure that I'd want him over any of our LBers right now. He's clearly not an OLB pass rusher in the 3-4, and I like the Scott/Harris combo in the middle.

Good move for N'awlins, good move for us.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I still wear my Vilma jersey to games. What are you gonna do about it? Maybe I don't feel the need to buy a new jersey every time the coach is a moron and trades a stud like Vilma. My dad still wears his Mawae jersey too. The guy is a class act.
    Tell that to all the recipients of the Mawae leg whip. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Vilma also whiffed right good on at least one occasion last night. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure that I'd want him over any of our LBers right now. He's clearly not an OLB pass rusher in the 3-4, and I like the Scott/Harris combo in the middle.

Good move for N'awlins, good move for us.
    +1

Mangini should have kept him and moved him to safety. He's the same size as Taylor Mays.

Practice Squad

No thanks

No thanks, he makes a ton of tackles but how many are at or behind the line. He always gets carried for extra yards, I'll keep Harris and Scott. LB is the least of our issues.

Hall Of Fame
    Bought a Jenkins jersey, but haven't changed my avatar.

Him and Harris would be crazy good...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Tell that to all the recipients of the Mawae leg whip. lol
    Half of whom were members of the Jets at practice!

_

All Pro
    no. david harris pisses on vilma. overrated.

All League
    The complete awesomeness that is David Harris makes any 'longing for Vilma' irrelevant.

All League
    Jerseys I've owned over the past 10 years or so:

Curtis Martin
    Wayne Chrebet
    Santana Moss(traded a couple years later)
    John Abraham(traded a couple years later)
    Chad Pennington(you all know)
    Jonathan Vilma(traded a year or 2 later)
    Kerry Rhodes(career has gone downhill since I bought it)
    Brett Favre(no need to explain)
    Leon Washington(broke leg the following week)

I'm glad that they were sold out of Revis jerseys in my size last time I went to get one, and I won't even touch Sanchez. From now on it's throwback Namath and Al Toon for me. At least I can't ruin their careers

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    no. david harris pisses on vilma. overrated.
    +1

He is small, got run on all night, got run over by Maroney more than once, and is totally and completely overrated. Hes a smart guy with a good media personality and went to U of M so hes looked on as an "elite" player, but hes not even close to being elite.

Hes OK, but Harris is a better player and Bart Scott, as overrated as Jets fans had him, is every bit as good a player as Vilma. Actually, since Scott does everything Vilma does (Cover, Rush, etc) but is considerably LARGER and more physical, I'll take Scott over Vilma as well.

I always thought Vilma should have been playing Strong Safety instead of ILB.

Veteran

Good Center, yep

Class act, no way. Mawae was, and still is one of the dirtiest players in football

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51 View Post
    Jerseys I've owned over the past 10 years or so:

Curtis Martin
    Wayne Chrebet
    Santana Moss(traded a couple years later)
    John Abraham(traded a couple years later)
    Chad Pennington(you all know)
    Jonathan Vilma(traded a year or 2 later)
    Kerry Rhodes(career has gone downhill since I bought it)
    Brett Favre(no need to explain)
    Leon Washington(broke leg the following week)

I'm glad that they were sold out of Revis jerseys in my size last time I went to get one, and I won't even touch Sanchez. From now on it's throwback Namath and Al Toon for me. At least I can't ruin their careers
    I will buy you a Tom Brady jersey if you will wear it.