Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets won't exercise CB Sheppard's bonus

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Jets won't exercise CB Sheppard's bonus

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eppards-bonus/

Jets won't exercise CB Sheppard's bonus

Posted by Evan Silva on December 6, 2009 10:54 AM ET
    Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports that the Jets are not expected exercise cornerback Lito Sheppard's $10 million offseason roster bonus, which will come due on March 11th.

Sheppard was traded from the Eagles to the Jets last February in exchange for a 2009 fifth-round pick, and a conditional 2010 selection. The latter pick could escalate to as high as a second-rounder, pending Sheppard's playing time.

Sheppard had to play 85 percent of New York's defensive snaps this season for Philadelphia to get back a second-round pick. He's missed five full games and parts of several others due to injury.

Thus, Sheppard will likely head to unrestricted free agency in 2010. Caplan notes that the two-time Pro Bowler has "played better of late," but Sheppard's lengthy injury history will limit his market value. He also appeared to lose his starting job to Dwight Lowery, before Lowery was lost indefinitely with a high left ankle sprain in Week 11.

All League
    Joe Haden.

Veteran
    Good. He stinks and is never healthy. Lets get younger @ the position. I would not mind drafting the best available corner # 1 put him next to Revis for the next 10 years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Good. He stinks and is never healthy. Lets get younger @ the position. I would not mind drafting the best available corner # 1 put him next to Revis for the next 10 years.
    That'd be sick wouldn't it. The Jets could probably go and draft BPA in the coming draft. They need to fill out depth on their team. But wow, imagine a young borderline Pro Bowl corner next to Darrelle Revis...it doesn't seem fair does it...

Hall Of Fame
    No surprise.

It doesn't mean the Jets and Sheppard can't work out another contract if both sides want each other.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    No surprise.

It doesn't mean the Jets and Sheppard can't work out another contract if both sides want each other.
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind bringing him back for solid veteran depth at a cheaper price. He's not was he used to be and won't be paid as such, but when healthy, he's a pretty good cover man; just not worth top $.

Perhaps the Jets strike a deal similar to what the Saints did with Vilma.

Hall Of Fame
    No surprise.

True. I don't think that picking up that 10 mil bonus was EVER a consideration.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Like I posted, its Joe Haden out of UF.

5-11, 190 lbs.

Career stats (currently a junior): 197 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks, 8 INTs

With our coaching staff who currently has the best pass def in the league and mentoring from Revis - this kid could shut it down on the other side of the field.

DISCLAIMER: Put on a different song or mute before you watch...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXVgCTdrirE

Banned
    No surprise.

True. Or we can sign Richard Marshall or Carlos Rogers and use the 1st round pick on defensive line or pass rusher.

All League
    I can't think of anything more retarded than drafting another CB with our first rounder.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No surprise.

And that's probably what's going to happen.

Jets let him go and then resign him to a lower contract without the huge bonus.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I can't think of anything more retarded than drafting another CB with our first rounder.
    Cause the last time it failed so miserably.

Banned
    Joe Haden baby...Last year It was all about Percy Harvin for me as a fan, until we landed Mark Sanchez.

This year? It's all about Joe Haden; the best overall college CB since Darrelle Revis.

Revis and Hadden can make for THE best 1-2 punch at the CB position for many of years to come, it's exciting just thinking about it.

I'm an FSU fan...I hate the Gators, but when I find myself drooling over a Gator athlete, more times than not...Those players are special talent.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Cause the last time it failed so miserably.
    lol think this through

1. Do you want that much money locked into one position?
    2. We have the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL, its not like we are desperate at the position.
    3. We have MUCH bigger needs: DT, DE, OLB, OL
    4. We hit the jack pot with Revis. Corner is one of the hardest positions do draft.

A luxury the Jets cannot afford

Haden is great but don't get your hopes up. We have one of the best CBs in the game. I really do not think you need two #1 CBs on your team. It would be a luxury the Jets cannot afford. If your team misses the playoffs then you probably have a few other positions to fill. Signing Sheppard at a lower cost would be great. If we draft a CB it cannot be in the first round. I think the team needs to draft some youth for the lines on both sides of the ball and a play maker on offense most likely in the slot (i.e. a Percy Harvin type). With four draft picks I would go DE, RT, WR and NT. Not necessarily in that order. All I know is this team is great against the pass, average against the run, great at running the ball and almost last in passing yards. That tells me we need some help on the defensive line and a Welker/Harvin type play maker on offense. And youth on the offensive line is just needed. We are one injury away from seeing the lack of depth we really have there.

Rookie
    how aboutSuh the DT from Nebraska

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanintx View Post
    how aboutSuh the DT from Nebraska
    lol, that would be a dream come true. After the game he had last night, it looks like he's either going to the Bucs, Lions, Browns, Rams or Raiders. He's going top 5.

If the Jets draft Haden to play opposite of Revis, our Defense can be amazing for years to come under a Rex Ryan type of pass rush. Haden has elite speed, quickness and plays the ball great; the perfect CB to guard Wes Welker in the slot.

Revis on Moss. Haden on Welker in the slot (Only when we play NE), because he'll be our #2 CB every other game.

We could then go either 3-4 DE or explosive slot WR during the 2nd round with a player such as Dexter McCluster, the dude is explosive, Percy Harvin type of speed and talent.

All League
    Devin McCourty

Hall Of Fame
    It all depends on where the Jets are drafting.

It seems that they'll be drafting in the 20s, which means that the likely BAP would be a CB. In general, non-elite CBs with 1st round grades go in the 20s. If the Jets were in the teens or top 10, then a DLine stud such as Cody and Suh would have been a possibility.

There needs to be more DLine prospects with 1st round grades which would give the Jets the opportunity to draft one if any drops.

Veteran
    This isn't news. Exercising his monster bonus was never a consideration for the Jets.