Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloom & Doomers vs Optimists

All Pro

Gloom & Doomers vs Optimists

Who would have thought after the Pats debacle, 2 weeks later, 2 wins later, Jet fans would be talking about playoff scenarios.

Though everyone knows that I'm not an all green glasses poster (my dislike for Shoddy is very deep as his automity by Rex cost us dearly in the 1st Bills game), I've always been on the optimistic side when it comes to rooting for the Jets.
    After the Panther win, I even posted the famous Jim Valvano speech segment,
    "never give up".
    This is where I think the rubber hits the road regarding the Jets.

Are you a "we might be able to do it" fan?
    Or are you a "can't wait to say I told you so" fan?

When you really think about, seriously think about, why would you want to be a Debbie downer fan at this point?
    Believe me, I can understand the frustration from losing, especially in the manner in which our Jets lose. But, the more I watch teams from other markets, the same s*it happens to each fan base every week.

How would you like to be a Skins fan after Sunday? My god! They miss a 23 yard FG. They pick off a pass- have it taken right out of the guys arms for a TD. Then they fumble, don't get a play off & it gets reviewed. Gets reversed, & they lose in OT! OUCH!
    That's why we love this game because week to week no one for the most part knows what the hells gonna happen.
    Steelers lose to Oakland, AT HOME!
    Pats lose at Miami- 1st time in years they have lost 2 in a row

Age has to be mellowing me. Rookie QB, Rookie head coach, losing Leon & Jenkins, number one defense in the AFC, things are looking up.
    Plus we have a chance of making the playoffs! It's all good!

Except Shoddy!LOL! (GO JETS!)

All League
    I am happy w/ a rookie HC and rookie QB we are still talking playoffs after the awful stretch midseason.

I don't expect the playoffs but I am hopeful we can make it. I just want to stay in the playoff hunt as long as possible, it makes Dec football more fun. Win this week and we are 7-6 and still in it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I am happy w/ a rookie HC and rookie QB we are still talking playoffs after the awful stretch midseason.

I don't expect the playoffs but I am hopeful we can make it. I just want to stay in the playoff hunt as long as possible, it makes Dec football more fun. Win this week and we are 7-6 and still in it.
    By the way, the Jets should wear the helmet in your avatar if they go retro again.

Charter JI Member
    Well since you brought the pats into this, clearly one franchise is on the rise and the other heading the other way...I'm happy to say the Jets are the team on the rise.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Well since you brought the pats into this, clearly one franchise is on the rise and the other heading the other way...I'm happy to say the Jets are the team on the rise.
    That's actually pretty funny right there.

But whatever makes you feel better and floats your boat, go for it.

the jets are 6-6. that is average at best. they have lost some very bad games along the way and have looked terrible on offense for most of the season.

can they make the playoffs? possibly. would i be excited? yes.

but bc they are "in the hunt" does not make them any better of a team than we've thus far watched. perhaps they can show us otherwise over these last 4 games.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Tex, I think you would agree, if the Jets had gone with a veteran QB this year instead of the Rook, you'd be definitely looking UP at the Jets right now.
    Young talent wise- Jets are ahead of the Pats
    Sanchez- Dbrick- Mangold- Revis- Edwards- Cotchery- Greene- Harris- Keller

That's undeniable
    You have 1 young guy in that league & that's Mayo
    That's it!

Moss & Brady will be 33 & 32 years old soon.
    Welker? How long before he retires like Chrebet with the hits he takes.
    The tide is turning for sure

All League
    Could the Pats lose to Buffalo? If so, this will be a wild ride for all.

Rookie
    I try to stay optimistic, despite the number times we've been burned as Jets fans.

The goal of a sports fan is ultimately to win the championship, but judging by where we were two week ago, I'm happy that the team is still relevant in December. We have a great rookie head coach, a great rookie QB, and it will be fun to watch these guys grow together in the league, making mistakes and getting better every week.

That being said, I am still thinking about making the playoffs, but at this point, I would almost rather see Sanchez and Ryan improve to come back better next year.

Charter JI Member

I think weve played pretty inconsistent, Brady said. We have some good drives, and then we have some bad drives. Everyone is trying to put their finger on it and figure it out. Its frustrating for all of us. We certainly think, when we go out there, that were going to get the ball into the end zone. We had some chances (against the Dolphins) inside the 5-yard line, inside the 10-yard line, and we got no points. Thats the frustrating part.
    Cindy's not laughing...

but Jet fans are

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Who would have thought after the Pats debacle, 2 weeks later, 2 wins later, Jet fans would be talking about playoff scenarios.

Though everyone knows that I'm not an all green glasses poster (my dislike for Shoddy is very deep as his automity by Rex cost us dearly in the 1st Bills game), I've always been on the optimistic side when it comes to rooting for the Jets.
    After the Panther win, I even posted the famous Jim Valvano speech segment,
    "never give up".
    This is where I think the rubber hits the road regarding the Jets.

When you really think about, seriously think about, why would you want to be a Debbie downer fan at this point?
    Believe me, I can understand the frustration from losing, especially in the manner in which our Jets lose. But, the more I watch teams from other markets, the same s*it happens to each fan base every week.

How would you like to be a Skins fan after Sunday? My god! They miss a 23 yard FG. They pick off a pass- have it taken right out of the guys arms for a TD. Then they fumble, don't get a play off & it gets reviewed. Gets reversed, & they lose in OT! OUCH!
    That's why we love this game because week to week no one for the most part knows what the hells gonna happen.
    Steelers lose to Oakland, AT HOME!
    Pats lose at Miami- 1st time in years they have lost 2 in a row

Age has to be mellowing me. Rookie QB, Rookie head coach, losing Leon & Jenkins, number one defense in the AFC, things are looking up.
    Plus we have a chance of making the playoffs! It's all good!

Except Shoddy!LOL! (GO JETS!)
    its simple...i see no point in watching a team that is still mathematically in the playoff hunt without being optimistic that they can make it...is it likely that the jets win 4 in a row (to say nothing of the 8 in a row they have to win to win the SB)? no, but whats the point of watching or caring if you are going to write a team off before they are eliminated?

All League

I'm a "this season is about (hopefully) watching Sanchez and Ryan improve every week, finishing the season strong, recognizing our weaknesses (pass rush, depth on both lines, another starting corner), and (hopefully) upgrading those areas in the draft."

I really couldn't care less about the playoffs at this point.

All League
    I'm pessimistic that they'll win when watching a game, but always have a glimmer of hope when they are mathmatically still alive for the playoffs (does that even make sense?) Even when they are eliminated, I'm still into the games. I just throw less crap

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Tex, I think you would agree, if the Jets had gone with a veteran QB this year instead of the Rook, you'd be definitely looking UP at the Jets right now.
    Young talent wise- Jets are ahead of the Pats
    Sanchez- Dbrick- Mangold- Revis- Edwards- Cotchery- Greene- Harris- Keller

That's undeniable
    You have 1 young guy in that league & that's Mayo
    That's it!

Moss & Brady will be 33 & 32 years old soon.
    Welker? How long before he retires like Chrebet with the hits he takes.
    The tide is turning for sure
    With all due respect jetster, exact threads like this have been popping up for the last 10 years with the majority of Jets fans claiming the "Jets are on the rise, and the Pats are falling"

Remember the "Gap is Closing" and "The Pig is Ripe for Slaughter" threads?

The fact of the matter is the Jets have not finished with more wins than the Pats for the last straight 9 years, and this year will be no different.

So get excited all you want (like Jets fans have for the last 9 years), but until the point in time where the Jets finally have more wins than the Pats, the Pats are still by far, the better football team.

Hall Of Fame
    With all due respect jetster, exact threads like this have been popping up for the last 10 years with the majority of Jets fans claiming the "Jets are on the rise, and the Pats are falling"

The fact of the matter is the Jets have not finished with more wins than the Pats for the last straight 9 years, and this year will be no different.

So get excited all you want (like Jets fans have for the last 9 years), but until the point in time where the Jets finally have more wins than the Pats, the Pats are still by far, the better football team.
    Hey TX, what draft picks do the Pats have next year? I seem to recall the Pats making many trades draft day and acquiring several 2010 2nd & 3rd rounders...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Hey TX, what draft picks do the Pats have next year? I seem to recall the Pats making many trades draft day and acquiring several 2010 2nd & 3rd rounders...
    1st Round
    2nd Round (Titans - Currently 45th Overall)
    2nd Round (Jaguars - Currently 56th Overall)
    2nd Round (Currently 57th Overall)
    4th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis)

These picks have been traded away:

3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess)
    5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith)
    5th Round (TB - Alex Smith)
    7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith)

Veteran

Your whole shtick is getting old, with your eye rolling smiley faces after every sentence, Bold and underlining words, and constantly bringing up the always fun "what about the last 40 years?" comeback.

Face it like a man, you have a 1 game lead on 2 teams, quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez and Chad Henne. Your team has Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

I don't know if any gap is closing, but it's blatantly obvious that your team is on the major decline. If your team wins 1 road game this year, you will still have less wins than you had with Matt Cassell at the helms. Matt Cassell who was benched last week.

But we've been saying that for yearsssssss, so of course it could never be true.

We may have stunk for 40 years, but our future looks a hell of a lot brighter than yours.

Hall Of Fame
    1st Round
    2nd Round (Titans - Currently 45th Overall)
    2nd Round (Jaguars - Currently 56th Overall)
    2nd Round (Currently 57th Overall)
    4th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis)

These picks have been traded away:

3rd Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess)
    5th Round (OAK - Derrick Burgess, Thru DEN - Le Kevin Smith)
    5th Round (TB - Alex Smith)
    7th Round (Den - Le Kevin Smith)
    Thanks, TX..I forgot about the Burgess deal...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post

We may have stunk for 40 years, but our future looks a hell of a lot brighter than yours.
    Once again, you guys have been saying that for 10 straight years that the Jets future is so bright.

Until the Jets "finally" accomplish something on the football field, the Pats are still the much better team.

It's always "next year" for Jets fans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Thanks, TX..I forgot about the Burgess deal...
    Yea, at the time a 3rd and a 5th looked like a good deal for Burgess.

Now it looks like a disaster.