View Poll Results: If Rob Ryan is available should the Jets hire him?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Rob would make the Jets defense even better

19 30.16%
  • No, 2 Ryans may be too much!

44 69.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Ryan to the Jets if Mangini is fired?

All Pro

Question Rob Ryan to the Jets if Mangini is fired?

It is more then a possibility that Eric Mangini will lose his job after the season. Unless the Browns hire somone from his staff to be the next head coach (unlikely considering the coaches available this offseason) his staff will be free to sign with other teams.

There is one name on that staff that should be familiar to Jets fans and that is one Rob Ryan. Ryan's reputation as a defensive coordinatior is well known throughout the league. He has been on belichick's staff as well as putting some good defenses together on some bad teams (raiders, browns). IF the Jets were to hire him they would have to give him the title of assistant head coach/defensive coach etc. It could free up Rex to view the team more as whole instead of focusing too much on one side of the ball. That was a criticism especially after the first Miami game and jacksonville.

So the questions in my mind are the following:
    1. Would Rex and Ryan want to work together?
    2. Would it make the Jets a better team/defense?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.

All Pro
    Why would we bring in a DC when the defense ranks top in the league? Because their brothers?

Hall Of Fame
    Highly improbable, and why would we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It is more then a possibility that Eric Mangini will lose his job after the season. Unless the Browns hire somone from his staff to be the next head coach (unlikely considering the coaches available this offseason) his staff will be free to sign with other teams.

There is one name on that staff that should be familiar to Jets fans and that is one Rob Ryan. Ryan's reputation as a defensive coordinatior is well known throughout the league. He has been on belichick's staff as well as putting some good defenses together on some bad teams (raiders, browns). IF the Jets were to hire him they would have to give him the title of assistant head coach/defensive coach etc. It could free up Rex to view the team more as whole instead of focusing too much on one side of the ball. That was a criticism especially after the first Miami game and jacksonville.

So the questions in my mind are the following:
    1. Would Rex and Ryan want to work together?
    2. Would it make the Jets a better team/defense?
    i posted on this a while ago.. he will be on the staff next year count on it...

Unlikely...I really like Pettine and two brothers working together sounds better in theory than in practice most of the time.

Charter JI Member
    I think he would have a shot at mangini's job.

Hall Of Fame
    I like Rob, but I've been under the impression that he probably has too much pride to work under his brother (And it's probably sounds better in theory then execution anyways), so I can't see it unless he had no other options out there....(Especially when he'd probably have to accept a positional coach's job as I don't see Rex demoting Pettine anytime soon), they don't really run the same system anyways, Rob comes from the Belicheck tree, whereas Rex made his bones in Baltimore.

Now with that said, if Rob is willing to accept a positional coach's job here. I'm all for it. I just don't see it as particularly likely.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 12-11-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Which one is older? There's that dynamic to consider....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Unlikely...I really like Pettine and two brothers working together sounds better in theory than in practice most of the time.
    They are totally going to be giving each other noogies all the time.

Way too distracting.

And to think if one of them gives the other one a wedgie...

Banned
    Mangini is not getting fired. Cleveland is going to give him time to implement his system. Its not Manginis fault he inherited an atrocious offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I like Rob, but I've been under the impression that he probably has too much pride to work under his brother (And it's probably sounds better in theory then execution anyways), so I can't see it unless he had no other options out there....(Especially when he'd probably have to accept a positional coach's job as I don't see Rex demoting Pettine anytime soon), they don't really run the same system anyways, Rob comes from the Belicheck tree, whereas Rex made his bones in Baltimore.

Now with that said, if Rob is willing to accept a positional coach's job here. I'm all for it. I just don't see it as particularly likely.
    I don't think Rob would have any problems system wise...defensive systems are becoming more and more homogeneous...the blitzes the Browns were throwing last night were right out of the Steelers/Baltimore school of thought.

I doubt Rob Ryan is anything but the DC for the Browns next year...under Mangini ()...unless they get a big name coach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

And to think if one of them gives the other one a wedgie...
    That would be like trying to drag a circus tent up a stairwell.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Which one is older? There's that dynamic to consider....
    I'm pretty sure they are twins.

Why bring in a D co-ordinator who runs a 3-4 two gap read and react D?

Also, I'd be shocked, yes shocked, if Rex screwed his good friend Mike Pettine by bringing in Rob to run the D.

Finally, Rob wants to be a HC, and coming to the Jets to run his bro's D where he will get near 0 credit for its play (See Pettine) is not exactly the stepping stone to being a HC.

All League
    Have you ever worked with family members? Not the best idea. It works for some, but I don't think it would in this case. They both have great defensive minds and some ideas may clash. Keep what we have.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd like to see it but I don't see him taking a lesser role than DC and I don't see Pettine staying if he was unfairly demoted... Pettine has been great this year with Rex.

However, it is quite possible that Ryan ends up looking for work and interviews for a HC job or two and doesn't get it, in that case the perfect role for him on the Jets would be Rex's assistant HC. He'd get the training he'd need for HC, and they'd work together on the defense and terrorize everyone.

Probability is low but it would be fun. I really do think they'd have a hard time working together.

Veteran
    Rex already said he and his twin brother have an agreement not to work on the same staff. They were on their fathers staff in Arizona, and I guess it didn't go well because they haven't worked together since.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Have you ever worked with family members? Not the best idea. It works for some, but I don't think it would in this case. They both have great defensive minds and some ideas may clash. Keep what we have.
    I agree.

Why fix something that isn't broke? The Jets have the #1 Ranked Pass Defense / #2 overall Defense heading into week 14.

Hall Of Fame
    Why would the Jets even want him???

All League
    I see no reason to change the defensive coaching staff. They're doing an outstanding job.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I see no reason to change the defensive coaching staff. They're doing an outstanding job.