Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Feely -- Pro Bowl Kicker?

All League

Jay Feely -- Pro Bowl Kicker?

I don't know how they select kickers for the pro bowl but I love having Jay Feely back there. He's very reliable and probably one of the better kickers the Jets have had in a long time.

All League
    succop, seb jan, carpenter, kaeding, bironas, and feely could all make it...i dont understand how any of these kickers truly distinguishes themselves from the rest

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I don't know how they select kickers for the pro bowl but I love having Jay Feely back there. He's very reliable and probably one of the better kickers the Jets have had in a long time.
    won't happen

It will be Kaeding or Gostkowski

and, frankly, who cares...

we had seven probowlers last season and made Seneca Wallace and Shaun Hill look like Hall of Famers while, on our side, our pro bowler Diva threw 137 interceptions in December to sink the entire season.

I'll take this year with fewer probowlers

Revis on merit

a few others deserve (Ferguson and Harris)

Banned
    I don't care.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    I don't care.
    yes you do. or else you would not have posted here.

The threads no so much about the pro bowl but more so on Jay Feely. Much better than Nugent and Doug Brien.

Rookie
    Feeley is the best since Pat Lahey...I think i speled tht rong

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    yes you do. or else you would not have posted here.

The threads no so much about the pro bowl but more so on Jay Feely. Much better than Nugent and Doug Brien.
    Yes better than those guys.

But I don't care if he makes the pro bowl.

All League
    Yes better than those guys.

But I don't care if he makes the pro bowl.
    I knew you cared.

Revis, Harris, Mangold... Feely shouldn't make it because he talks too much on Twitter

Banned
    Thomas Jones: He's the Work horse back on an Offense that ranks #1 in rushing. Thomas Jones has the 2nd most rushing yards of any AFC Back with 1167 yards; only behind Chris Johnson. Ranks 2nd in AFC rushing TD's with 11. Has the 2nd most rushing attempts of any AFC back, with an average yards per carry of 4.4

Thomas Jones should be in the Pro Bowl, hands down.

David Harris: Harris is the most productive LB, on a Defense that ranks #1 in the league. David Harris has the 2nd most tackles of any AFC MLB with 106 tackles on the year. 2nd Most sacks of any AFC MLB with 5 1/2 sacks. 2nd most pass deflections of any AFC MLB with 5 pass deflections on the year. Ranks 1st out of AFC MLB's with 2 INT's. Also has 2 Forced Fumbles to put the icing on the cake during this All Pro type of season.

David Harris should be in the pro bowl, no questions asked.

Darrelle Revis: Darrelle Revis is the most talented overall CB in the game today. He could be the most complete shut down CB since #21 of the Cowboys during the 90's. When Deion Sanders says that your the best CB in the game today, thats saying something. Revis leads all AFC CB's in INT's with 6 picks. Revis ranks #1 of all AFC Backs in Pass Deflections with 33. Revis has the 2nd most INT return yards of any AFC back with 121 yards. Also has an INT return for a TD to put the icing on the cake during this all pro type of season. Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (Twice), Marques Colston, Terrell Owens (Twcie), Steve Smith, along with Antonio Bryant have all be owned by the new #24 of the league.

Revis should be going to the pro bowl, no doubt about it.

Nick Mangold and D'Brickahsaw Ferguson: Two of the most talented, if not the most talented players at their respected positions. Both Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson has led the way for one of the best, if not the best O-Line's in the game today.

The 'Brick-of-Gold' should both be in the pro bowl this season, they deserve it.

Jay Feely: To answer the question, yes, Feely has been a pro bowl kicker here in 2009. Has the 2nd most FG's of any AFC FG kicker with 25 FG's made. Has the 4th highest FG% of any AFC kicker with a FG% of 86%. Has a FG long of 55, which is the 3rd longest of any AFC kicker so far.

Jay Feely is having a pro bowl type of season. Will he make the pro bowl? Who knows, he's a damn kicker.

Practice Squad

Check Out How He Got Here, Interesting...

Thomas "Jay" Feely (born May 23, 1976 in New Prague, Minnesota) is an American football placekicker for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He was signed by the Florida Bobcats, of the Arena Football League, as an undrafted free agent in 1999. He played college football at Michigan.

Feely has also been a member of the Tampa Bay Storm, Atlanta Falcons, New York Giants, Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs. He was a member of the Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team with the Falcons in 2001 and was a Pro Bowl alternate with the Giants in 2005.

Early years
    Feely attended Jesuit High School in Tampa, Florida).[1] While there, he set Hillsborough County career and season records for field goals and extra points.[1]

College career
    Feely was a four-year letterman at the University of Michigan from 1995 to 1998.[1] As a senior in 1998, he converted 17 of 22 field goal attempts and 40 of 41 point-after attempts on his way to an honorable mention for the All-Big Ten team.[1] His longest career field goal was 51-yard kick against Baylor as a junior.[1] He finished his career 20-for-26 in field goals and 43-for-44 in extra points.[1]

Professional career
    Florida Bobcats

After going undrafted in the 1999 NFL Draft, Feely kicked for the Florida Bobcats of the Arena Football League.[2] That season, he went 2-for-5 in field goal attempts and 8-for-13 in extra point attempts.[2] He also added three tackles (two solo) and forced a fumble.[2]

Tampa Bay Storm
    Feely kicked for the Tampa Bay Storm in 2000, converting one of six field goal attempts and three of four extra point attempts.[2] He also returned one kickoff for 22 yards.[2]

Atlanta Falcons
    In March 2001, Feely worked out for the Washington Redskins but was not signed.[3] On April 12, he signed a one-year, $209,000 contract with the Atlanta Falcons.[3] Although Jake Arians was expected to be the Falcons' placekicker during the 2001 season, it was Feely that won the job.[3]

As a rookie with the Falcons in 2001, Feely converted 29 of 37 field goal attempts (78.4%) and all 28 extra point attempts.[1] He also converted 14 of 15 field goals away from the Georgia Dome.[1] His 115 points tied him with the Eagles' David Akers for second in the NFC behind only Rams kicker Jeff Wilkins.[1] Feely converted a 55-yard attempt against the Arizona Cardinals on September 30. He also caught one pass for -2 yards from Falcons punter Chris Mohr on a fake field goal attempt.[1] For his performance during the season, Feely was a consensus all-rookie selection.[1]

An exclusive-rights free agent in the 2002 offseason, Feely was tendered a one-year, $300,000 contract by the Falcons on February 22..[3] He signed the deal on June 7.[3] That season, he converted 32 of 40 field goal attempts (80 percent) and all but one of 43 extra point attempts.[1] His 32 field goals tied him with Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Martín Gramática for most in the NFL.[1] It also broke Morten Andersen's previous franchise record of 31 set in 1995.[3] Feely earned NFL Special Teams Player of the Week honors after converting three field goals of more than 40 yards against the Carolina Panthers on October 20, and eventually earned NFC Special Teams Player of the Month honors for converting 9 of 10 field goals and all nine PATs.[1]

In 2003, Feely converted 19 of 27 field goal attempts (70.4 percent) and 32 of 33 extra point attempts.[1]

On March 6, 2004, the Falcons re-signed Feely – a restricted free agent – to a one-year contract worth $628,000.[3] That season, he achieved a field goal percentage of 78.3 by converting 18 of 23 tries.[1] Feely also connected on all 40 of his extra point attempts that season.[1] On September 19 against the St. Louis Rams, he recovered his own onside kick.[1] In two playoff games, Feely was a perfect 2-for-2 in field goals and 7-for-7 on PATs.[1]

New York Giants
    An unrestricted free agent in the 2005 offseason, Feely signed a three-year deal with the New York Giants on March 12.[3] The contract included base salaries of $540,000 (2005), $545,000 (2006) and $550,000 (2007).[3] In a preseason game against the New York Jets that year, Feely scored all his team's points in a 15–14 victory by connecting on five field goals, including two over 50 yards. Feely broke the New York Giants franchise record for best Field Goal percentage over a two year period. He had a 83 % followed by a 85 % year while with the Giants.[3]

Miami Dolphins
    A free agent in the 2007 offseason, the Miami Dolphins signed Feely to a three-year contract worth just under $5 million on March 8.[3] The team subsequently traded incumbent placekicker Olindo Mare to the New Orleans Saints on April 3.[4]

During his first season with the Dolphins, experienced the most productive season of his career and in franchise history.[1] He missed just two of his 23 field goal attempts, setting a new franchise record for field goal percentage at 91.3. The record had previously been 90.5 percent, set by Mare in 2001.[1] Through the 2007 season, Feely had converted 164 straight extra point attempts and had created five recovered onside kicks.[1]

"I am going to be the best kicker in the NFL this year. I don't know any guy on this team that worked harder than me this offseason."
    —Jay Feely, June 2008[3]

During the 2008 offseason, it was reported that new Dolphins Vice President Bill Parcells did not like Feely's outspoken nature and that he would not be assured a roster spot despite his 2007 success.[3] The Dolphins released fellow kicker Dave Rayner on June 6, leaving only undrafted rookie Dan Carpenter (Montana) to challenge Feely for the team's placekicking job in 2008.[5] Feely was released by the Miami Dolphins on August 12, 2008.

Kansas City Chiefs
    On August 25, 2008, Feely was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs, and released just a day later.[1]

New York Jets
    After New York Jets kicker Mike Nugent was injured in the team's Week 1 contest against the Miami Dolphins, Feely was signed by the team on September 8, 2008. On November 13, Feely kicked a game-winning 34-yard field goal in overtime against the New England Patriots, helping the Jets take sole possession of first place in the AFC East for the first time since Nov. 19, 2001. Through 10 games, Feely had made 16 of his 20 field goal attempts (80.0%), with an average of 35.1 yards and a long of 55 yards and converted all 23 PATs for a total of 71 points. Feely has reportedly began working out his upper body five days a week in the Jets new training facility, saying, "I work out hard in the weight room just so I don't get injured."

On March 4, 2009, Feely re-signed a one year contract with the Jets.[6]

In Week Six of the 2009 season against the Buffalo Bills, Feely broke Pat Leahy's record of 23 consecutive field goals hitting his 24th however he would later miss a second quarter field goal leaving the record at 24.

In the media
    Feely and his wife, Rebecca, appeared on A Baby Story on TLC, which aired January 11, 2006.[3] He has also appeared on ESPN First Take and Saturday Night Live.[3]

After missing three field goals for the Giants in an overtime loss to the Seattle Seahawks in 2005, Feely was the subject of a Saturday Night Live sketch.[7] The NFL Films parody, entitled "The Long Ride Home: The Jay Feely Story," featured comedian Dane Cook as Feely on the Giants' five-hour flight home from Seattle, where he is forced to land the plane through two large radio towers that look like field posts.[7]

Personal
    A number of Feely's family members have also been involved in football. His grandfather, Thomas Feely was a famous college basketball and baseball coach for St. Thomas College in St. Paul, Minnesota from the early 1950s to 1984. He was inducted into the N.A.I.A National Basketball Hall of Fame both as a coach and as a player. His father, Thomas Feely III, is a famous football coach, and owns the Feely Kicking School. His brother, Ryan, a two time NCAA Div. 1AA College All American kicked for Central Florida and Jacksonville University.[8]

Feely and his wife, Rebecca, have four children: Alexandria (Lexi), Jace, Abigail Pamela, and Olivia. [9]

Feely is a conservative and has appeared on Fox News' Hannity's America talking about his disagreements with President Barack Obama's policies.[10]

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by King Chrebet View Post
    Feeley is the best since Pat Lahey...I think i speled tht rong
    Pat Leahy sucked..I cant begin to tell you how many games he cost us when he was here..Remember the Bear Monday Night game or the 81 game against the Fish in Miami that cost us the division that year

Jim Turner was the best kicker the Jets have had since now having Feeley, who should make the pro bowl.imo

Feeley is clutch

Banned
    Don't know about him being a pro bowler but Feely has been our best FG kicker in a very long time. He's better than Hall, Doug "The Choker" Brien and ofcourse el superbusto Mike Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Pat Leahy sucked..I cant begin to tell you how many games he cost us when he was here..Remember the Bear Monday Night game or the 81 game against the Fish in Miami that cost us the division that year

Jim Turner was the best kicker the Jets have had since now having Feeley, who should make the pro bowl.imo

Feeley is clutch
    Pat Leahy did not suck, how can you say that? I'm 32 and Leahy is the best Jets kicker I have seen.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Thomas Jones: He's the Work horse back on an Offense that ranks #1 in rushing. Thomas Jones has the 2nd most rushing yards of any AFC Back with 1167 yards; only behind Chris Johnson. Ranks 2nd in AFC rushing TD's with 11. Has the 2nd most rushing attempts of any AFC back, with an average yards per carry of 4.4
    We can't have TJ going to the pro bowl because we have to subtract all his long runs. Also, he has a good offensive line, so his contributions are exaggerated.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by King Chrebet View Post
    Feeley is the best since Pat Lahey...I think i spelled that wrong

+1 im surprised that someone hasnt said it any sooner... the guy is 'effin automatic...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    +1 im surprised that someone hasnt said it any sooner... the guy is 'effin automatic...
    Didn't he miss one yesterday?

All League
    he did??? lmao damn you nfl red zone!!!

Banned
    Didn't he miss one yesterday?
    You must have not watched the game if your seriously asking a question like that.

The snap was HORRID, no kicker would have been able to nail a 45+ yarder with that type of snap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    he did??? lmao damn you nfl red zone!!!
    He is pretty good though.

My ten year old son paid him a compliment yesterday. After Feely hit his fourth FG, my son said: "Now I know why he wears number three."