Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Martin's first 3 years as a Jet vs Thomas Jones first 3 years as a Jet.

Banned

Curtis Martin's first 3 years as a Jet vs Thomas Jones first 3 years as a Jet.

Just by looking at these numbers, it's obvious that Thomas Jones is one of the most underrated Jets of all time as far as ability, talent, and production on the Football field goes.

Honestly, I hope that Shonn Greene gets a good 20+ rushing attempts this week against the Bengals, followed by the Jets using Thomas Jones as our work horse for each and every playoff game that we play.

Thomas Jones led the Bears Offense to the SB thanks to a great Chicago Defense and I honestly believe Thomas Jones can take our team to the promist land. With our O-Line? With this Rex Ryan type of New York Defense? The sky is the limit with a productive back such as Thomas Jones.

Curtis Martin: First three years as a Jet.

Martin:
    1,052 Rushing attempts.
    3,955 Rushing yards.
    Average of 3.75 Yards per rushing attempt .
    22 Rushing TD's.
    214 Rushing 1st downs.
    8 fumbles.

Jones First three years as a Jet. Still has 1 more regular season game to go.

Jones:
    904 Rushing attempts.
    3,755 Rushing yards.
    Average of 4.15 Yards per rushing attempt.
    26 Rushing TD's.
    176 Rushing 1st downs.
    6 Fumbles.

If the Jets make the playoffs, it's time we run Thomas Jones until the wheels are just about ready to come off.

Make the playoffs...And this Jets could become seriously dangerious for ANY team to keep up with.

We've been lucky to have Thomas Jones for 3 years now, it's about time we really see what we have in Thomas Jones; a Work Horse.

martin had a good oline but the oline the past 2 years is better.

All League
    Agreed, DWC, it's time for a TJ appreciation thread! He has a crazy late night game..loves clubbin as much as Plax, etc...but he always brings it on gameday...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine View Post
    Yeah but in 2007...Our LG and RT positions were some of the worst talent around; we had a HORRID O-Line.

Also, in 2007, Brick and Mangold were both only 2nd year players.

Thomas Jones rushing for over 1,000 yards behind that O-Line was something that not alot of other RB's could have ever done.

Hall Of Fame
    Martin was also like -- a featured pass catcher in those offenses. So his role in the O was much larger...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine View Post
    Martin had Vinny with the best season of any Jet QB and avg 3.5 ypc with 8 tds..The year before Murrell had Neil O'Donnell and didn't have Mawae or Fabini and avg 3.6 with 7 td's on 69 less carries.. The excuses made for Martin are laughable..Take down the achievements of any Jet back so the chosen one doesn't look bad.. Martin was a good durable back that wasn't worth a 1st and 3rd pick and a huge contract.. He also wanted control over how much he played just like Favre..And he had that weak HC in Hermie that let he do what he wanted..

Banned
    Personally, I think running backs in the NFL are a dime a dozen, if you have a good o-line, anyone can put up big numbers if they stay healthy and don't turn the football over.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-28-2009 at 08:29 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Personally, I think running backs in the NFL are a dime a dozen, if you have a good o-line, anyone can put up big numbers if they stay healthy and don't turn the football over.
    I sort of agree here...though it's nice to have the combo workhorse/slasher like the Jets do in TJ & Shonn Greene

All League
    I like what Jones brings to the table from a leadership standpoint too. He can only have a positive effect on guys like Shonn Greene. Really teach those guys how they need to prepare and carry themselves all the time. Not only does he do that, but he also produces on the field. I think it lasts through next season. After that, I don't know that he'll be able to keep playing at this level. It will really be time for Shonn Greene to take over.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Just by looking at these numbers, it's obvious that Thomas Jones is one of the most underrated Jets of all time as far as ability, talent, and production on the Football field goes.

Honestly, I hope that Shonn Greene gets a good 20+ rushing attempts this week against the Bengals, followed by the Jets using Thomas Jones as our work horse for each and every playoff game that we play.

Thomas Jones led the Bears Offense to the SB thanks to a great Chicago Defense and I honestly believe Thomas Jones can take our team to the promist land. With our O-Line? With this Rex Ryan type of New York Defense? The sky is the limit with a productive back such as Thomas Jones.

Curtis Martin: First three years as a Jet.

Martin:
    1,052 Rushing attempts.
    3,955 Rushing yards.
    Average of 3.75 Yards per rushing attempt .
    22 Rushing TD's.
    214 Rushing 1st downs.
    8 fumbles.

Jones First three years as a Jet. Still has 1 more regular season game to go.

Jones:
    904 Rushing attempts.
    3,755 Rushing yards.
    Average of 4.15 Yards per rushing attempt.
    26 Rushing TD's.
    176 Rushing 1st downs.
    6 Fumbles.

If the Jets make the playoffs, it's time we run Thomas Jones until the wheels are just about ready to come off.

Make the playoffs...And this Jets could become seriously dangerious for ANY team to keep up with.

We've been lucky to have Thomas Jones for 3 years now, it's about time we really see what we have in Thomas Jones; a Work Horse.
    When Leon comes back next year, we're gonna have our own Earth Wind and Fire except it's going to be even better

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I sort of agree here...though it's nice to have the combo workhorse/slasher like the Jets do in TJ & Shonn Greene
    Agree, to an extent, but that extra effort makes a difference between fighting for that yard or giving up

All League
    they are special backs like LT (a few years back) and Chris Johnson now but as Denver has shown in the right system any back can have a good year

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Martin was also like -- a featured pass catcher in those offenses. So his role in the O was much larger...
    this is correct and makes a big difference. Can someone put together the receiving comparison

JetsInsider.com Legend
    +1

Exaggerating slightly but RBs can be found anywhere. You could argue that three of the Jets better RBs in history were taken in Rounds 2, 3 and 4....in LaMont Jordan, Shonn Greene and Leon Washington while our 1st Round produced Roger Vick and Blair Thomas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    this is correct and makes a big difference. Can someone put together the receiving comparison
    The most receptions Martin had in one season was 70 in 2000..Of course Adrian Murrell had 71 in 95.. I bet you don't like that comparison.. Some OC's use the backs more then others..

All League
    I've always had this philosophy. Back in the late 70's, the Jets had no-name guys like Clark Gaines, Kevin Long and Tom Newton who they simply plugged into the system without missing a beat. It's all about the OL!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thomas Jones is a f'n beast

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    yes -- it is huge. it makes the comparison totally moot.

that isn't to say that TJ couldn't be a pass-catching back. We just don't use him that way this year.

But in fact, he is known as a very good pass-catcher out of the backfield. In Chicago, he once caught 56 balls, and in the past several years caught 36 balls twice. This year we have particularly de-emphasized this as he only has 10 receipts.

Perhaps it is because we are using him so much running the ball.

Remember, he is set to eclipse his carries total over a year for a given year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    yes -- it is huge. it makes the comparison totally moot.

that isn't to say that TJ couldn't be a pass-catching back. We just don't use him that way this year.

But in fact, he is known as a very good pass-catcher out of the backfield. In Chicago, he once caught 56 balls, and in the past several years caught 36 balls twice. This year we have particularly de-emphasized this as he only has 10 receipts.

Perhaps it is because we are using him so much running the ball.

Remember, he is set to eclipse his carries total over a year for a given year.
    Any RB who plays with Pennington will have nice receiving numbers from catching all of his bombs.

All Pro
    curtis martin sucks i guess???