Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching NFL replay of the Jets vs the Colts right now. Some observations...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Watching NFL replay of the Jets vs the Colts right now. Some observations...

A couple of things to I wanted point out:

That stupid tripping penalty on Bart Scott - even if Scott didn't stick his leg out Brown would have tripped over him anyway because Brown ran into him right at Scott's waist-line and it had nothing to do with Scott's leg sticking out, thats just where the defense's pursuit forced Brown to run - Pouha was closing the gap fast on Brown.

2nd - The Calvin Pace sack, forced fumble & subsequent Douglas TD. While it was Painter playing QB the Colts still had their entire starting O-Line in the game on that play including Jeff Saturday. Point being I don't think the Jets Defense is getting enough credit for the way they played in that game, despite the absence of Manning. Our defense also stuffed Manning's 2 pt conversion attempt .

3rd Our special teams played an outstanding game. Blocked an extra point and had the big Brad Smith 106 yd TD rtn, all of this happened against the Colts starting line-up. They also were excellent covering Kick-offs and Feely was money on his 2 FG's which was good to see the longest was from 43 yds out albeit in a dome.

Just some observations I thought were noteworthy.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-29-2009 at 10:34 PM.

All League
    the defense stops the 2 pt conversion, not special teams.

Hall Of Fame
    The Colts starters benefitted from a lot of BS calls that helped them on big plays.

The long pass to Collier on the drive after we went up 10-9, was an obvious offensive pass interference that was never called. Manning and the Colts seem to get the Brady and the Pats treatment, when Manning went out, the calls suddenly stopped.

Hall Of Fame
    I also thought Sanchez had a nicer game than his stats would show. The big play to Cotchery at the 1 yd line was a real nice throw, Cotch just missed getting his big toe in bounds.

All Pro
    Well to be fair Manning wouldve probably felt the pressure from pace and step up...that's why he hardly gets sacked.

What I got from watching this replay since I watched it on a crappy stream the day of is how well Sanchez played. I hope they keep going with the quick 3 step drops and having him throw quick passes. Works wonders for a rookie. He was stepping up into the pocket very well dipping his shoulder to avoid the rush.

Also Greene needs to get the bulk of the carries to start the game off. He sets up the offense for better situations with a 2nd n 5 most of the time and now 2nd and 9.

Hall Of Fame
    One more note on ST's, it was indeed one of our better games, Rob Turner is a real nice player on multiple units, he's been out the last 3 weeks, we missed him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The Colts starters benefitted from a lot of BS calls that helped them on big plays.

The long pass to Collier on the drive after we went up 10-9, was an obvious offensive pass interference that was never called. Manning and the Colts seem to get the Brady and the Pats treatment, when Manning went out, the calls suddenly stopped.
    There was also a blatent pass interference penalty on Braylon Edwards that was never called that would have converted a key 3rd down where the DB was all over Edwards back before the ball ever got there. The commentators even commented about it. This was also during the 1st half.

Waterboy

Worst missed call was on Donald Brown's "touchdown"

Eric Smith was grabbed, pulled, and spun around...by his facemask! Go back and watch. No way Brown bounces outside and scores if Eric Smith doesn't have his head nearly ripped off. Many missed calls and we were still right there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I've never bought into any conspiracy theories about officiating but this past Sunday's game made me wonder. Before the game even started MACPAC posted something about how the refs would be making calls in Indy's favor because they wanted to see them go 16-0. The games starts and soon after there was one bad call....then another....by the third I started thinking, maybe there's something to this. It's was pretty blatant.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I've never bought into any conspiracy theories about officiating but this past Sunday's game made me wonder. Before the game even started MACPAC posted something about how the refs would be making calls in Indy's favor because they wanted to see them go 16-0. The games starts and soon after there was one bad call....then another....by the third I started thinking, maybe there's something to this. It's was pretty blatant.
    I have to agree that the officiating was clearly pretty one-sided in the Colts favor.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Superstars like Manning get calls it's the way it is. I'm not saying it is right, but the marginal call might not get called for us the same way it would for Peyton

See 2005 playoff game vs Pittsburgh (INT reversal by Polamalu) , Holding on Cromartie TD return in 2007

All Pro
    I am excited that the Jets have earned a right to play for the playoffs..and Hopefully they will get to face the colts again...but you guys need to stop being homers...The Jets would have lost by 17 yesterday if all the Colts played.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I am excited that the Jets have earned a right to play for the playoffs..and Hopefully they will get to face the colts again...but you guys need to stop being homers...The Jets would have lost by 17 yesterday if all the Colts played.
    I don't buy it.

I also thought Sanchez had a nicer game than his stats would show. The big play to Cotchery at the 1 yd line was a real nice throw, Cotch just missed getting his big toe in bounds.
    Have to agree with both. He made some really nice throws. Didn't get much press since he didn't have any TD's and under 200 yards. That one to Cotch was a beauty.

Hall Of Fame
    The running game was starting to get on track at the end of the first half and it carried on at the beginning of the 2nd. I think the seeds of a potential upset were already sewn even before the Indy starters were lifted.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I am excited that the Jets have earned a right to play for the playoffs..and Hopefully they will get to face the colts again...
    but you guys need to stop being homers...
    The Jets would have lost by 17 yesterday if all the Colts played.
    Maybe yesterday...

But not Sunday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    There was also a blatent pass interference penalty on Braylon Edwards that was never called that would have converted a key 3rd down where the DB was all over Edwards back before the ball ever got there. The commentators even commented about it. This was also during the 1st half.
    That was an awful non-call and it wasn't even like the refs' view was even skewed. Typical bs the Colts are supposed to be a marquis franchise so they get all the calls. Watching the Giants game earlier in the day I saw Justin Tuck basically do a bellyflop offsides and it didn't get called until the second time he did it.

All Pro
    One blatant missed call was the pass that sent Manning over 50,000 yards.

the receiver pushed off Sheppard so clearly on the replay (and right in front of the ref) that it was laughable.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    2nd - The Calvin Pace sack, forced fumble & subsequent Douglas TD. While it was Painter playing QB the Colts still had their entire starting O-Line in the game on that play including Jeff Saturday. Point being I don't think the Jets Defense is getting enough credit for the way they played in that game, despite the absence of Manning. Our defense also stuffed Manning's 2 pt conversion attempt .
    I don't care if that was the starting Oline on the sack because the man that was blocking Pace was the 4th string TE who just totally whiffed and then had a chance to recover the fumble and dropped it.

The 2 culprits on that play will never see the field in any game that counts for the Colts.

The 7 points were a gift.

All Pro
    The defense did a good job of containing Manning (but it still seemed like the Colts were controlling the game with their starters out there). Our defense once again did their part but the Offense continually let them down.