View Poll Results: Is Thomas Jones a better Jets RB than Curtis Martin?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Thomas Jones is a better Jet RB than Curtis Martin

10 11.90%
  • No way, Curtis Martin was a better Jet RB

54 64.29%
  • I'll wait to see what Jones does in the playoffs

20 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Thomas Jones > Curtis Martin as a Jet?

All League

Is Thomas Jones > Curtis Martin as a Jet?

I love Curtis, but Thomas Jones has been one heck of a workhorse these last couple of years, and now TJ has broke his own team record for Rushing TDs with 14 this year.

I think his performance on Saturday in a Cold Weather PLAYOFF GAME against a team that KNOWS the Jets (a Jets team starting a Rookie QB) are going to try and run all day can place TJ as the Jets most important back since Boozer and Snell.

All Pro
    They're very similar players, but Curtis did it for 7+ years. TJ has the potential to surpass Curtis if he keeps up his production (or if he leads to the Jets to greater postseason success).

Banned
    Curtis Martin was involved in the passing game, that puts him over the top for me.

Practice Squad
    Curtis did alot more with less....he'd be an 1800 yard back with this O-line.

That's no knock on TJ, the guy is the definition of solid.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    They're very similar players, but Curtis did it for 7+ years. (or if he leads to the Jets to greater postseason success).

... agreed ... curtis has a slight edge due to longevity (fitting) ... but ... T-J has an opportunity to surpass that with his performance this postseason ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Thomas Jones has had a great career but we soon forget the terrble offenses that CM played with.

They are CLOSE but if CM is a 9, TJ is an 8.

A 10 would be Barry Sanders

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EZV View Post
    Curtis did alot more with less....he'd be an 1800 yard back with this O-line.

That's no knock on TJ, the guy is the definition of solid.
    1800?? With a fine O-line in 98 and having the best QB Jet peformance from Vinny he managed a 3.5 avg and 8 TD's..Martin was a good durable back like TJ but he had better breaks career wise. TJ is running with a rookie QB and if you listen to the Jet players sometimes they load the box with more then 8 players and dare Sanchez to beat them throwing.. I have seen every Jet back since the beginning and Boozer blows Martin away(As does Snell,Riggens and Freeman).. Too many of you get into the one back compiler stat frame of mind and then make excuses when the back rushes for 14 yards in a Championship game.. Martin was a very selfish player and said he never wanted another back to get the ball.. TJ says he enjoys playing with both Leon and Greene..

All Pro
    If the Jets win the Superbowl, TJ takes that honor IMO. Until then he'll never be viewed in the same light as Martin.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    1800?? With a fine O-line in 98 and having the best QB Jet peformance from Vinny he managed a 3.5 avg and 8 TD's..Martin was a good durable back like TJ but he had better breaks career wise. TJ is running with a rookie QB and if you listen to the Jet players sometimes they load the box with more then 8 players and dare Sanchez to beat them throwing.. I have seen every Jet back since the beginning and Boozer blows Martin away(As does Snell,Riggens and Freeman).. Too many of you get into the one back compiler stat frame of mind and then make excuses when the back rushes for 14 yards in a Championship game.. Martin was a very selfish player and said he never wanted another back to get the ball.. TJ says he enjoys playing with both Leon and Greene..
    +1 TJ is the better back and, assuming Cumar was against the dual back concept like Savage says, the better team player.

Rookie
    curtis martin is a 1st ballot hall of famer...one of the best rb's in league history

All Pro
    Jones is not even close to Martin.

All Pro
    TJ is great but I give the edge to CuMar, who was a far better receiver and, in my opinion, better at reading holes. (TJ misses a few more holes, imo.)

Still, they are similar runners: Neither has great straightline speed, but both are reliable, tough and savvy runners who almost never put it on the ground.

All League
    same build
    TJ is 5-10 212lbs
    Martin was 5-11 210
    Both pretty much never get/got hurt

i think they are similiar, but not fully comparable as jets. Martin played 8 seasons as a jet, over 10000 yds rushing/58td's and over 2000 rec yds/5td's. TJ has been here 3 seasons totaling 3800 yds rushing/28td's and 480 rec yds/3td's. They do have the same exact YPC for their careers, 4.0. Both great backs giving the jets 10 1000+yd seasons out of 11 seasons they were here
    Last edited by JerseyJet80; 01-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Veteran
    I knew savage would show up in this thread.

I'll wait until the playoffs--one great playoff run by TJ could put him over the top for me, since that always seemed to plague C-Mart during his time here.

Practice Squad
    I'm just speaking in terms of production, not the type of teammate he is. Curtis had nearly 1700 yards and 12 TDs in 2004 with a line that, IMO, is a close 2nd (but 2nd nonetheless) to our current line. That line included Kendall, Fabini, Mawae, Moore, McKenzie.

I just think with the makeup of our current team and the number of carries he'd get, he would be more productive than TJ. 1800 yards is not unreasonable for a 1st ballot HOF behind the arguably #1 offensive line in the league.

By the way, no hate here for TJ....as much as everyone felt CuMar was underrated I think TJ is even more so.

All League
    Our guards were mediocre at best in '98. They were the weakness on an otherwise excellent team. Matt O'Dwyer and IIRC Todd Burger. Please. Two JAG's. What killed us all year and finally caught up with us in the Denver game was we could get no inside push. So good defenses didn't fear our power run game. That changed as soon as the Jets drafted Randy Thomas (Which was WHY they drafted him with their first pick the following year). Not that you're going to agree with any of this but it's no coincidence Curtis' best years came with guys like Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall, Dave Szott, and Brandon Moore leading the way, and that Jones has also had two great years behind Moore and Alan Faneca. All RB's are, to some extent, a product of their O-lines. It doesn't make them stat compilers.

Btw, I'm very curious as where your hatred for Martin started? Was it the AFC Championship? The fumble in the '99 opener that led to Vinny's achilles popping? Or did you already hate him when he came here because he was a Patriot? I don't think I've EVER seen a fan rip on their own team's player, at least not a good one, as much as you've dumped on CuMar. So I'm interested what your rationale is.

i tend to be on savage's side when it come to martin, especially when you consider his last couple of seasons. yes, i know he lead the league the year before he got injured but you gotta wonder if sat down one of the other years and got his knees fixed if he would have lasted a bit longer.

as for jones. tj is quicker but i don't think he uses his blockers as well. he tends to go where the hole is supposed to be even if there isn't so he frequently runs into the backside of his linemen. martin was more patient. martin was also a better pass catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Colemonster View Post
    Our guards were mediocre at best in '98. They were the weakness on an otherwise excellent team. Matt O'Dwyer and IIRC Todd Burger. Please. Two JAG's. What killed us all year and finally caught up with us in the Denver game was we could get no inside push. So good defenses didn't fear our power run game. That changed as soon as the Jets drafted Randy Thomas (Which was WHY they drafted him with their first pick the following year). Not that you're going to agree with any of this but it's no coincidence Curtis' best years came with guys like Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall, Dave Szott, and Brandon Moore leading the way, and that Jones has also had two great years behind Moore and Alan Faneca. All RB's are, to some extent, a product of their O-lines. It doesn't make them stat compilers.

Btw, I'm very curious as where your hatred for Martin started? Was it the AFC Championship? The fumble in the '99 opener that led to Vinny's achilles popping? Or did you already hate him when he came here because he was a Patriot? I don't think I've EVER seen a fan rip on their own team's player, at least not a good one, as much as you've dumped on CuMar. So I'm interested what your rationale is.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    i tend to be on savage's side when it come to martin, especially when you consider his last couple of seasons. yes, i know he lead the league the year before he got injured but you gotta wonder if sat down one of the other years and got his knees fixed if he would have lasted a bit longer.
    I don't think anyone would put their body and their knees on the line the way Curtis did just to pad their stats, unless they were crazy and/or stupid. Curtis was neither. Too competitive perhaps, but you want that in your best players. Great players are supposed to play hurt. Also Lamont Jordan later proved himself to be an overrated turd, so maybe the coaches knew something we didn't when they allowed Curtis to stay in. Your last sentence may hold true about him possibly lasting longer if he had sat down, but it contradicts the whole stat compiler argument anyway because if all he was concerned about was prolonging his career to pad his stats, he wouldn't have played hurt so much. Guys like that just don't. Witness John Abraham - who should be the true poster boy for stat compilers.

Jet fans are a strange bunch. We rip our guys half the time for not being tough enough, then turn around and rip on the ones who do play hurt and put themselves on the line the most .

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EZV View Post
    I'm just speaking in terms of production, not the type of teammate he is. Curtis had nearly 1700 yards and 12 TDs in 2004 with a line that, IMO, is a close 2nd (but 2nd nonetheless) to our current line. That line included Kendall, Fabini, Mawae, Moore, McKenzie.

I just think with the makeup of our current team and the number of carries he'd get, he would be more productive than TJ. 1800 yards is not unreasonable for a 1st ballot HOF behind the arguably #1 offensive line in the league.

By the way, no hate here for TJ....as much as everyone felt CuMar was underrated I think TJ is even more so.
    In 04 the Compiler had the most carries of his career 371.. Had it not been for 2 overtime games no way does he get the Rushing title by 1 yd.. He would have been behind Tiki,Dillon,and Shaun Alexander if they had that many carries..As a matter of fact Alexander did have 370 carries in 05 and he had 1880 yds 27 tds and avg 5.1 ypc.. TJ has avg 317 carries a year for his first 3 years on the Jets with 27 rushing td's 1277 yds a year avg and 4.1 ypc.. In his first 3 years Martin avg 350 carries 22 rushing td's 1318 a year avg and 3.7 ypc..Notice Martin always need more carries then anyone else to get close to the same production.. And 07 was behind one of our worst lines ever and people killed TJ for his 1 rushing td.. Cut the Bum they cried! Where were the complaints when Martin had 2 td's in 03 on 33 more carries then TJ ?? They blamed the O-line, excuses reign in the land of the Compiler..

Practice Squad
    I'm sorry, but to me this isn't close. Curtis Martin is the greatest Jet RB of all time. McNeil; if he would have been more healthy and durable would get that honor, but it goes to Curtis. He was a constant, and the 2004 season really lifted him up not only in his Jet history but in his status as a future Hall of Famer as well. He really needed that one dominant year, and he got it in 2004. I have to go with Curtis.