Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Woodhead become our Welker?

Rookie

Can Woodhead become our Welker?

There has been plenty of talk about the fact that we need a solid slot WR this offseason. The prototype slot WR is Welker, a short guy with a lot of quickness who runs great routes and runs well in the open field.

Woodhead obviously has a lot of quickness, he ran like a 4.3 40. We know he has at least decent hands. What does Welker have that Woodhead doesn't have?

If Woodhead becomes 80% of the player Welker is in that role, then with him in the slot and Cotch/Braylon on the outside, not to mention Keller and Leon, we would have a TON of weapons in the passing game.

Veteran
    No. Not even close.

Banned
    Um, no.

Hall Of Fame
    Welker is a tremendous route runner, Woodhead is a freakin Runningback people.

All League
    We'll be lucky if he becomes our Julian Edelman.

All Pro
    no... no no no.

All League
    Welker is white. Woodhead is white. Both of their last names begin with W. The comparison stops there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    There has been plenty of talk about the fact that we need a solid slot WR this offseason. The prototype slot WR is Welker, a short guy with a lot of quickness who runs great routes and runs well in the open field.

Woodhead obviously has a lot of quickness, he ran like a 4.3 40. We know he has at least decent hands. What does Welker have that Woodhead doesn't have?

If Woodhead becomes 80% of the player Welker is in that role, then with him in the slot and Cotch/Braylon on the outside, not to mention Keller and Leon, we would have a TON of weapons in the passing game.
    Because he's white, small and wears #83? Welker had 122 catches or so this year. 80% of that is about 98 catches. I'm thinking that's not in Woodhead's range.

Once Leon's back, there really isn't any room for Woodhead on the roster, unless we get rid of TJ, which I don't think will happen. Perhaps we will see 8% of Welkers production.

Rookie
    So what I'm getting from these replies is you guys think Woodhead is probably going to be the next Welker, but not definitely?

All League
    Can Woodhead be the next Maynard?

Veteran
    I don’t know if he is ever going to become a “Welker”, but I do think that Woodhead has the capability, and talent to be an excellent all around football player. Both situational RB, and WR.

I think Rex does to. An interesting thing happened in both the Raiders game, and again against the Bengals. In both cases the Jets had a shut out going with time running out, and the ball inside their own 5. You know Rex wanted to preserve the shut outs for his defense. In both cases he surprisingly brought in Woodhead to run the clock out.

In both cases he did a good job.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Welker is a tremendous route runner, Woodhead is a freakin Runningback people.
    So was Coles....So was Percy Harvin....I'm no way saying Woodhead will become that caliber but to just rule him out because he's "a freakin Running back" is premature.

Maybe he spends all off season, OTAs and training camp working as a slot receiver...Who knows....

maybe the white wes welker

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't shelve the experiment just yet. He'll never be a Welker but he could be a useful player in that fashion. And since we are talking about fashion and imitation as is the norm for the NFL, watch every team in the league drafting fast small, elusive guys in later rounds hoping they will be the next welker.

All League
    what does Woodhead have that Welker doesn't?

2 knees.

Veteran
    Of course....... he's small, fast and WHITE!

I wonder if Jon McGraw ever turned into John Lynch?

I will be very happy if he becames our kevin Faulk

Welker No but Faulk yes. I loved that One wheel route he catch he made in the Oak game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post

I would like to see Woodhead a little more involved in the passing game to tell you the truth, particularly screen passes in the flat and quick crossing routes.

He may not be Wes Welker but that does not mean Woodhead couldn't be used effectively in the passing game.

I actually think he could be a very good safety valve for Sanchez, particularly when the blitz is on.

Quote Originally Posted by star95 View Post
    Welker No but Faulk yes. I loved that One wheel route he catch he made in the Oak game.
    +1

I hope Woodhead becomes that f'ing nuisance on offense that Faulk has been for the Pats.

He's at least a couple of years away from that, but so is our offense as a whole. Technically, that means he's right on track.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Can Woodhead be the next Maynard?
    No. I think Woodhead will become the first Woodhead.