Thread: FootballOutsiders: Who does Revis cover? Plus more..

All Pro

FootballOutsiders: Who does Revis cover? Plus more..

Good stuff from football outsiders breaking down the game... a lot more at the link http://www.footballoutsiders.com/gam...-round-preview

The question here: Who does Revis cover? The media seems to think that it'll be strictly Jackson, but I wouldn't count on that. I don't think the Jets will move Revis into the slot and let Gates play on the outside against Dwight Lowery or Kerry Rhodes, either of which would be a terrible mismatch for the Jets. In addition, while Revis has done a lot, he hasn't had to deal with a receiver with Gates' sheer size; not to say that Gates will make it off Revis Island with a big play or two, but he probably has a better chance of picking up consistent yardage across from Revis than Jackson does. Revis is almost certainly preparing to cover both Gates and Jackson, and don't be surprised to see Gates line up as a split end across from Revis or Lito Sheppard more often than people appear to be expecting.

Revis can't cover everyone, and while Rhodes has looked great since returning from his mid-season benching, they're going to get mismatches against him, Sheppard, or Lowery on most plays. They want Jackson against a safety one-on-one, or alone on one side of the field against Sheppard. They want Gates to be able to run a quick slant and muscle his way for yards after the catch. They get Floyd open deep when teams forget about him, and when safeties get focused on Jackson and linebackers get caught in slants and crossing patterns, the Chargers have Sproles, a devastating receiver out of the backfield.

All Pro
    Matchup with the Jets WR's..
    The question of who will be covering Edwards remains up in the air. To stay away from Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph on every snap, the Jets often lined up Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery on the same side of the field in twin wide receiver sets. While the Bengals often opted to keep Hall and Joseph marooned on their islands, the Chargers aren't likely to play the same way; they're comfortable moving cornerbacks Quentin Jammer or Antonio Cromartie into the slot next to the other, allowing them to play man coverage with their two best corners on the Jets' two best receivers. If the Jets go three-wide, the Chargers will bring in former safety Steve Gregory at nickelback; Gregory's a talented young player with good skills around the ball and as a rusher off the edge, but there's a reason he was converted from cornerback to safety when he left Syracuse; he lacks the speed and size to be a regular cornerback. It behooves the Jets to try and get Edwards matched up against Gregory in the slot; the result could be a big play downfield.

Gregory's move into the nickel corner role is just one of the many changes the Chargers' defense has undergone. In the secondary alone, rookie Kevin Ellison has taken over for the ineffective Clinton Hart, who was waived in October. 2008 supplemental draft pick Paul Oliver has moved into the nickel safety role, while the disappointing Cason looked good in the meaningless Week 17 win over the Redskins, but has otherwise lost his job and won't see much of the field on Sunday.
    I think this would be huge for Clowney in the slot and get up the field for a big play.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Matchup with the Jets WR's..

I think this would be huge for Clowney in the slot and get up the field for a big play.
    the clown won't even be active.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    the clown won't even be active.
    Well he should be...you have a slow converted safety coming down playing nickel. Clowney could take advantage.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Well he should be...you have a slow converted safety coming down playing nickel. Clowney could take advantage.
    Brad Smith making plays as the WR3 today???

Rookie
    unlike a lot of corners in the league revis simply blankets whatever WR he is defending...if he is in the slot, wide left or wide right revis follows him wherever he goes...thats why its been so impressive what he has done this year, he is guarding these WR's 60 minutes a game...i hope this guy didnt get a vote for DPOY because he apparently hasnt watched any film on revis

SD loves this big play and rivers is great at throwing the deep ball...the problem is you need time and protection to allow your receivers to get down field if the jets can get to rivers early that will help eliminate the big play and could have the qb rattled for a good part of the game and seeing "imaginary" defenders like palmer did last week when he was feeling pressure without a jet defender even close to him

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Think Smith will be running out of the Wildcat today?

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Think Smith will be running out of the Wildcat today?
    no, i don't think anyone will be playing today
    Last edited by dameangreenkillingmachine; 01-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.

It's going to be an interesting chess game out there on Sunday. In terms of the offensive and defensive packages that both teams bring to this game. I'm sure there will be some new wrinkles put together for this one.

As for intimidating Rivers with the pass rush. I doubt it. He's as tough as they come. But it is important that the Jets at least get pressure on Rivers. And make him throw it sooner then he wants. So that the secondary can make some plays on the ball. If they can't...then Lito-Rhodes-Lowery-Strickland will have their hands full. Revis will be Revis. IMO...I expect the Jets to deliberately give the Chargers the opportunities to run the football. And focus more on the Bolts receivers.

As Sanchez has been gaining in confidence over the past few weeks, so has the presence of Keller become a bigger factor. Cotchery will be Cotch(clutch.) And Braylon has to catch them this week. But the real key will be the Jets OL. They're in sync and playing at a very high level. Physically...they have the ability to dominate this game. Greene, with a 5.8 yards avg the past three games, has been the beneficiary. A big game is needed by him. And Smith will have chances for big plays in the Wildcat.

Sanchez, of course...has to continue playing at the mistake free high level, that he displayed last week against the Bengals.

IMO...OL dominance is the way for the Jets to win this game. With the defense holding the fort as best they can. This may not be easy...but I think Jets can do it.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Well there is that Keller guy who can make the occasional catch

Amazingly, after Smith and Clowney, we're pretty much down to OL reporting eligible