Thread: Chargers Give Norv 3 Year Extension

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Chargers Give Norv 3 Year Extension

Chargers sign Turner through 2013

Posted Jan 18, 2010

San Diego President Dean Spanos signed Head Coach Norv Turner to a three-year contract extension Monday.

San Diego President Dean Spanos signed Head Coach Norv Turner to a three-year contract extension Monday, extending his contract through the 2013 season.

“I’m extremely proud of the job Norv has done with this team,” said Spanos. “In three seasons he’s led the team to three division titles. I’m confident that if we strengthen our roster and continue to provide Norv the assets he needs, this team will have continued success.”

Turner has the top overall winning percentage in team history at .648 (35-19) as well as the top regular-season percentage (32-16, .667). The Chargers are 13-0 in December under Turner and 4-3 in January. His three playoff wins is tied for most in team history. The team’s 13 wins in 2009 are the second most in team history, and includes a team-record 7-1 on the road and a 4-0 sweep of the NFC East. The team exhibited discipline under pressure, committing the second-fewest turnovers (17) and the third-fewest penalty yards (570) during the regular season. Its 78 penalties are the fewest by the Chargers since 1976 when there were 14-game seasons.

Turner’s leadership did not go unnoticed nationally as USA Today named him its NFL Coach of the Year.
    http://www.chargers.com/news/article...1-8b36b03258d1

Wow. Your team comes out undisciplined and completely unprepared, with an awful game plan, and you reward the coach with a new contract

Hall Of Fame
    And they fired Mart Schottenheimer after going 14-2 and losing because his CB was stripped after intercepting the ball that would have sealed the victory.

Karma is a *****.

Hall Of Fame
    I heard Nate Kaeding signed a 20 year extension.

Rookie
    wow can you imagine what he will get if he actually wins something

All League
    I thought they fired Marty because of playoff chocking..wow.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    really?, i knew he was under contract with the jets but i figured after this year they would be done with him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Wow. Your team comes out undisciplined and completely unprepared, with an awful game plan, and you reward the coach with a new contract
    With all due respect Buzz...It's not his fault that the Chargers couldn't run the ball, the Jets run D was amazing last night. It's also not his fault that the Chargers couldn't keep the Jets under 150 rushing yards...Not many teams can.

The Chargers had a really solid game plan...The JEts Defense and Rushing attack just won the game. Mark Sanchez also came up huge. If the Chargers FG kicker could have came through, things could have been different.

As a Jets fan, it's really hard for me blame Norv Turner for what happened last night; the Jets just won the game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Marty Schott didn't get along with the GM. That firing was a personal move.

Norv will make the Chargers competitive every year, although they'll never get over the hump with him, as is his reputation. This year they had a good chance, but they ended up playing us and lost ().

Right now, everyone will be looking for the next Rex. Too bad he's in New York to stay. For a long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    With all due respect Buzz...It's not his fault that the Chargers couldn't run the ball, the Jets run D was amazing last night. It's also not his fault that the Chargers couldn't keep the Jets under 150 rushing yards...Not many teams can.

The Chargers had a really solid game plan...The JEts Defense and Rushing attack just won the game. Mark Sanchez also came up huge. If the Chargers FG kicker could have came through, things could have been different.

As a Jets fan, it's really hard for me blame Norv Turner for what happened last night; the Jets just won the game.
    What about the stupid bone head penalities? What about the ridiculous decision to kick on onside kick when you have the 2 minute warning and a timeout and know for certain that the Jets are going to run the ball 3 times? As good as the Jets played yesterday to say that we just beat them, and that the Chargers played well is just wrong. The Chargers made bone head play after bone head play, and looked down right flat at times. That is on the coach.

All League
    Now that Norv isn't the man across the field from us, I'm happy for the guy.

He was CONSTANTLY hosed in Washington as a media punching bag and hardly given a chance in Oakland (like most of Davis' hires.)

He's a solid coach who never got the credit he deserved. He's always been a great OC and I'm glad for the guy not being the goat for yesterday's loss. He made Alex Smith look like a legit QB! So, until we face him again in a game, I couldn't be more happy for him & wish him luck.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Norv Turner is a joke. Makes you grateful to have rex at the helm

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Now that Norv isn't the man across the field from us, I'm happy for the guy.

He was CONSTANTLY hosed in Washington as a media punching bag and hardly given a chance in Oakland (like most of Davis' hires.)

He's a solid coach who never got the credit he deserved. He's always been a great OC and I'm glad for the guy not being the goat for yesterday's loss. He made Alex Smith look like a legit QB! So, until we face him again in a game, I couldn't be more happy for him & wish him luck.
    Norv is an outstanding OC, but the guy clearly isn't HC material. The same goes for Wade Phillips, awesome DC but not the guy you want overseeing the entire operation.

It's not like Norv built the Chargers, he inherited an all-pro laden team with the core talent already installed to make an immediate Super Bowl run. They were coming off a 14-2 season when he was initially hired.

He hasn't gotten the job done, period.

I'd be pissed if I was a Chargers/Cowboys fan. Two of the most talented teams in the league who could be making championship appearances on the regular if they only had a good coach. All of that talent is starting to waste away and the window is beginning to close for both teams.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-18-2010 at 11:15 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Norv is an outstanding OC, but the guy clearly isn't HC material. The same goes for Wade Phillips, awesome DC but not the guy you want overseeing the entire operation.

It's not like Norv built the Chargers, he inherited an all-pro laden team with the core talent already installed to make an immediate Super Bowl run. They were coming off a 14-2 season when he was initially hired.

He hasn't gotten the job done, period.

I'd be pissed if I was a Chargers/Cowboys fan. Two of the most talented teams in the league who could be making championship appearances on the regular if they only had a good coach. All of that talent is starting to waste away and the window is beginning to close for both teams.
    Not disagreeing with your points. I think you're dead on. I just think he gets crapped on way too much. Just glad he had his payday and, hell, as long as he's running that ship into the rocks in the AFC - all the better for OUR JETS

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    HAHAHAHA

you can almost feel sorry for Chargers fans. This news on Norv Turner after the loss yesterday is like getting kicked in the balls right after you got donkey punched.

Hall Of Fame
    Nothing wrong with them keeping Norv if that is what the GM wanted but the timing was pure idiocy. For the love of god let your fans have a bit of a cooling down period before telling them they are all idiots. Terrible pr. Quietly sign the deal but don't announce it until after the super bowl or something.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post

I completely disagree. Running Tomlinson 12 times was ridiculously stupid. I can only remember one run where he gained any real yardage. Sproles had more yards in 3 carriers than Tomlinson did in 12.

Also, the Chargers should have completed exploited the mismatch that Gates created. They were doing it in the 1st quarter some, and then again late in the game. But, that felt this odd need to try and run the ball with Tomlinson up the middle.

That's poor game planning. As someone upthread said, the Chargers were completely undisciplined, and that's the coach's responsibility.

All Pro
    God bless 'em. Good to know that if we face them again, good ole Norv's gonna be there