Thread: Tuesday morning Mock, Waiting For Sunday

All League

Tuesday morning Mock, Waiting For Sunday

Ground & Pound is a theme that I think will carry over into the draft, concentrating premium picks on the Offensive and defensive lines. As always I am hoping the Jets trade down in either the first or second round. The Jets success in trading up, has made it fashionable, so I am hoping for more trading opprotunities.
    1. Jason Pierre-Paul DE 6'6 265 South Florida. I have seen this guys draft status go all over the board, and I have seen him as a top 15 pick. He is very raw,has a bust factor (this after Gholston) and need to bulk up. He also has a huge upside and IMO a perfect replacement for the Aging Shaun Ellis. Olrick and Wooten are safe picks , but Ryan doesn't play it safe. Paul give the DL a little Pass Rush...
    2. Selvish Capers OT/OG 6'5 295 West Virginia. A little bit of a developmental pick , needs to bulk up, but has the feet. Could replace Faneca or Woody as the Jets continue to invest in the Offensive Line, which is paying great dividends.
    5. Devin McCourty CB 5'10 185 Rutgers . Not just a local pick, the guy can play. The Jets need to sign Lito, but both Lito and Strickland are constantly breaking down. Rex likes Coleman , I don't. There is room for another corner
    6. Koa Misi 6'2 265 OLB/DE/ILB Utah. A high motor guy without a true position, great for special teams, hoping to get some depth at ILB with the loss of Trusnick and Izzo. Not a big believer in Fowler and Cummings.
    7. Richard Dickson FB/TE 6'2 250 LSU. Tony is 38, want to keep him after this years performance, but need to prepare. Dickson could be a poor backup to Keller as a receiving TE, or have a role as FB.

Your comments are appreciated, please

JPP is more of an OLB rather than a DE. He doesn't have the weight to anchor that position. Replace JPP with a DE like Wooten or Odrick. And I still think the Jets should bring in a slot receiver even if it is a Julian Edelman type that could be had late.

All Pro
    You are making a good point with your last pick. Tony Richardson is a huge reason why we have such a good running game and at some point we have to replace him. San Diego's run game took a huge hit a couple of years ago when Lorenzo Neal left and I don't want that to happen to the Jets...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i have a feeling JPP will be an elite pick by the time april rolls around

Drafting a raw junior after trashing Vernon Gholston for a couple of years doesn't fit. That plus I think JPP is highly overrated.

The other picks are smart. Could do without Capers...but could also use him too.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-19-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    trading down in the first may be difficult, we'd have to trade out of the first we are going to be picking 32nd or if we're unlucky 31st

Like your ideas for bolstering both lines.One guy who might slip a bit is George Selvie,DE from So.Florida.Was a borderline first rounder if came out last year,but stayed and had off year.Was he hurt? When healthy,could really get after the passer. Would love McCourty in 5th,but probably gone by mid 3rd,at latest.Guy i would love with our first pick,if there,is Mardy Gilyard from Cincy.Would be the deep threat we really need,and good return man.Threat to go all the way every time he touches ball,would be huge weapon for us.

Hall Of Fame
    JetOrange, I don't know college players but I like the positions you've targeted. Although I would like a 3rd down WR/return man type like a Gilyard in
    Rd 2. I like the FB/TE idea. Smart! T Rich doesn't get enough credit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Drafting a raw junior after trashing Vernon Gholston for a couple of years doesn't fit. That plus I think JPP is highly overrated.

The other picks are smart. Could do without Capers...but could also use him too.
    JPP is a developmental pick, and your quite correct, folks may not have the patiance needed to wait until he develops, especially after the Gholston fiasco. Ellis has played his ten year career at 285, JPP needs to gain 20 pounds of muscle just to start, but we are looking to generate more pass rush from the down lineman. Of course Bryan Thomas is playing a lot of DE at 266, but once again JPP is raw, Rex may gamble to get pressure.
    Please clarify your comments on Capers. I think it is important to keep this offensive line rolling, Capers has the feet and the foot speed yo be an excellent Offensive lineman in a Zone blocking scheme. He also needs to get stronger and have Callahan improve his technique. Capers caught my eye because IMO he can (in two years) replace Fanaca or Woody
    Last edited by JetOrange; 01-19-2010 at 07:38 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Like your ideas for bolstering both lines.One guy who might slip a bit is George Selvie,DE from So.Florida.Was a borderline first rounder if came out last year,but stayed and had off year.Was he hurt? When healthy,could really get after the passer. Would love McCourty in 5th,but probably gone by mid 3rd,at latest.Guy i would love with our first pick,if there,is Mardy Gilyard from Cincy.Would be the deep threat we really need,and good return man.Threat to go all the way every time he touches ball,would be huge weapon for us.
    Your right on McCourty, I need to find a late round CB , any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    JPP is a developmental pick, and your quite correct, folks may not have the patiance needed to wait until he develops, especially after the Gholston fiasco. Ellis has played his ten year career at 285, JPP needs to gain 20 pounds of muscle just to start, but we are looking to generate more pass rush from the down lineman. Of course Bryan Thomas is playing a lot of DE at 266, but once again JPP is raw, Rex may gamble to get pressure.
    Please clarify your comments on Capers. I think it is important to keep this offensive line rolling, Capers has the feet and the foot speed yo be an excellent Offensive lineman in a Zone blocking scheme. He also needs to get stronger and have Callahan improve his technique. Capers caught my eye because IMO he can (in two years) replace Fanaca or Woody
    JPP would play OLB. I don't see him as that kind of DE, even as a developmental prospect.

Capers is actually a really good pick since we have the luxury to make a pick like that. We don't really need a starter anywhere, and might as well get a really good OL if we want a really good OL (which I agree we do).
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-19-2010 at 11:51 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    You are making a good point with your last pick. Tony Richardson is a huge reason why we have such a good running game and at some point we have to replace him. San Diego's run game took a huge hit a couple of years ago when Lorenzo Neal left and I don't want that to happen to the Jets...
    The Jets have Jason Davis FB on their Practice squad, has been kicking around the league since 2006, a handful of starts with the Bears. After that
    Schott would probably use a TE at Fullback , probably Mulligan.
    This guy Dickson will be playing in the East West Shrine game on Saturday.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    JPP would play OLB. I don't see him as that kind of DE, even as a developmental prospect.

Capers is actually a really good pick since we have the luxury to make a pick like that. We don't really need a starter anywhere, and might as well get a really good OL if we want a really good OL (which I agree we do).
    You are probably right. I am going back to Olrick/ Wooten as my first round pick, thanks.. Looking for that 3-4 DE with a little pass rush

All Pro
    What's the deal with our 7th round pick again? Wasn't it traded to Detroit for O'Connell or was the 2011 7th rounder?

As far as O-line goes, I think Callahan and the coaches are very high on Wayne Hunter as the future starter at RT when Woody hangs it up.